Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-27-21, 02:13 PM  
donnamp

oh, Sherry - I forgot to comment on your DD's wisdom teeth - mine had hers out when she was in HS - the end of her freshman year. It was rough - all 4 were impacted. In a way it was good to get them done when she was younger b/c the teeth were smaller and easier to extract - but it was still not pleasant. I think it took her about 4 days to feel better.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 04:39 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

This is my busy season at work so I was swamped today. I did my workout later in the day and it was a short one (Mobility Moves) thank goodness, because that was all I had time for.

Sherry, I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 35 and it was not fun. The bottom two were impacted and I just remember a lot of blood and gauze. Ugh.

Donna, I'm glad my nephew found a job, I just wish it wasn't so far away. He wanted to have an adventure, so I guess it's good to get that out of his system while he's young. I'm hoping he'll be back in a couple of years.

Pam, The 20 different instructors sounds like fun and a great way to figure out which DVDs you want to keep. I actually don't have a ton of DVDs so I couldn't do that. Most of the ones I do have are Jessica, lol. But doing a mix of youtube instructors would be fun and I could discover some new ones, so I'll have to consider this after I finish Lift & Shift.
Old 07-27-21, 04:41 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today I did Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Back Care (General Back Care.) I had some tenderness in my mid-back, and felt like this might be good. Barbara has such a soothing, calming, Southern voice and the scenery in this was lovely. I bought this back in 2014 and I'm sure I've done a few of the shorter 20 minute practice, but today's length was 40 minutes, and it didn't seem familiar. I might add a bit more of something tonight.

I went out to bring in the garbage cans last night and the air quality was terrible and smelled very smoky. Apparently all of the smoke from the fires on the West Coast has travelled to the East. It was so odd and hard to believe.

Sherry, all of my wisdom teeth were impacted and I had to have them out in late HS, probably my senior year. I was out of it the first few days, so don't remember too much. The growing pains of childhood into adulthood, I guess.

Have a good day everyone!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 08:32 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I am running late as per usual these days!

Today I was feeling a bit more energetic so I did:

- Caroline Jordan - Daily Weight Loss workout - this was 10 exercises done for 50 seconds/10 seconds rest. It was body weight that was done at a sufficient pace to get sweaty.

- CocoLime Fitness - Beginner Hip Hop dance workout - this served as a good cool down from Caroline's workout. It could also have been done as a warm-up to it.

- Caroline Jordan - Neck Stretches for Neck Pain relief - still dealing w/ pain in my neck and traps. It is on my right side which is my tight side. I'm much more used to dealing w/ lower back and hip pain so it is a bit challenging for me to find things that work for me for this area of the body.

wishiwasinhawaii - my work is busy too - I thought it would be better after June 30th but not so much! My daughter registered for classes at the new school - she is taking chemistry, computer sci, Spanish, "Core seminar" ( freshman requirement), and music theory (which she wants to drop in place of another arts class to fill that requirement and I don't blame her - hopefully during the add/drop period she can pick up something else). It is definitely hard for new grads to find jobs - I think you are right - he just needs to have his adventure and he will probably move back at some point - it is also so expensive out there!

Pam - I have that one - I used to use it pretty often. Maybe I should see what she has for upper back/neck pain on that DVD....

Waves, Sherry - I hope your DD is doing better today.

Donna
Old 07-28-21, 12:33 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Donna,

Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Back Care does have a Neck section, which I might have used at some point.

These are the specific sections from that particular DVD.
  1. General Back Care
  2. Lumbar Care
  3. Neck Care
  4. De-stress and Restore
  5. Sciatica
  6. Scoliosis

And, from her Yoga for Stress Relief DVD
  • General Stress Relief
  • Anxiety and worry
  • Neck and shoulder pain (headaches) (Lower back) (upper back)
  • Stomach and digestive issues
  • Insomnia
  • Depression

Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility also has a Neck and Shoulders segment that's 20 minutes.

Lee Holden's Qigong for Upper Back and Neck Pain Relief is quite good, too!

April Focus:
Old 07-28-21, 04:02 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today I did Molly Fox Skinny Jeans (Deep Flow Yoga) workout!

Loved this one, and the music and flow is fantastic! So good at 40 minutes!

April Focus:
Old 07-29-21, 08:24 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today I did:

CocoLime - Tone and Stretch # 1 - this was a 30 min body weight/isometric type workout - it was good for my non-existent energy and motivation level!

Sunday starts a new month - and I'm hoping to be more active in August. I want to achieve 7K steps per day. I remember reading somewhere that 7-8K steps per day provides the health benefits and there is no real need to do more - for health - since my job is so sedentary and working from home has made it even more so - I figure 7K is reasonable whereas 10K will be stressful. For this "challenge" it doesn't matter how the 7K is achieved - through formal exercise or just misc. meandering around the house - it will mean I'm being more active and that is the goal. Work is so busy right now it is very hard for me to get up and move and then the more you sit the more you want to sit - this week it has been pretty much going from bed - to desk chair - to dinner table - to couch. NOT GOOD.

Workout wise I'm not sure what I want to do for August. Pahla will start a new playlist for the month on Sunday. Jessica Valent will have a new calendar. I was also thinking of becoming a patreon for Caroline Jordan - for $5 a month you get a monthly workout calendar of her You Tube videos. I'm not a huge fan of her cardio stuff but I do like her strength and functional/PT type stuff so that may be a possibility. I also have some Gilad workouts....basically anything that will motivate me is on the table!

Pam - thank you for that listing of the practices on those DVDs! I have always wanted to try that Molly Fox workout...I should see if Amazon has any - didn't she have a whole series? I remember also having a book of hers years ago.

Waves wishiwasinhawaii and Sherry! (how is your DD, Sherry?)

Donna
Old 07-29-21, 01:12 PM  
Leonana

Yesterday was L&S Lower Body. It’s a tough one, which is saying something since they are all on the tough side. I was pretty tired and sore last night. I think in future I will tweak the schedule and not do upper and lower on consecutive days. It is effective though, I can feel the muscles in my legs. Lots of one leg lunges though. Although, I might sub a walk strong leg workout next time for some variety.

Today was 16 minute Core Challenge. I was appreciative of the short workout! I had to modify the crunches and hip lifts, but I did most of it. I liked the pelvic floor work at the beginning. I felt it worked the soreness out of my back, which was nice.

Regarding my dd, I think three were impacted. The oral surgeon said one tooth was easy, so I guess that meant the other three were harder to remove. She felt worse the first couple of days. Fortunately, ibuprofen and Tylenol was enough for the pain, but they did give her the time released pain medication after surgery. I assume that was intravenously. She went home Tuesday the day after, which I thought was too soon. But she wanted her own bed. The bleeding had almost stopped by then. She needed them out before they came in because they would cause her teeth to move. She just got her braces off, so obviously doesn’t want to lose her straight teeth. She is off work for four days, as they don't want her to do any activity that will cause more bleeding. She is supposed to go back to work Friday afternoon. I guess she can call in sick if she's not up for it.

Donna, my dd is doing well. I saw her last night, dropping off some mashed potatoes, and she looked a lot better. The swelling was gone from her face and she looked back to normal. She just can’t chew and I’m sure her mouth is sore. Donna, my soreness and muscle strain is always on my right side in my shoulders, back and glutes. Maybe because I'm right handed? I find that it's my pillow that makes a difference. No pillow or too flat and I get a sore lower back. Too high and I get shoulder and neck strain, along with a sore lower back. I'm like Goldilocks, I need one just right, lol.

Pam, that's too bad about the smoke from the fires. We got rain, and also Nevada and New Mexico, but it didn't seem to make it's way to the west coast and Washington. It's cloudy again today, and we might get more rain. I hope the drought ends on the west coast soon.

wishiwasinhawaii, there was a lot of blood! The dental assistant threw me off a bit, saying we wouldn't use the whole bag of gauze. I used it all, plus two boxes of gauze pads from Walgreens. Sheesh. But fortunately, it started tapering off about nine hours after surgery, and almost stopped after 24 hours.
Old 07-29-21, 09:30 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today I was needing a gentle workout so did Nadia Narain Chair Yoga (Session one) and Sara Ivanhoe On the Ball Yoga. We rented scooters/bikes for a ride downtown for first Waterfire lighting of the season last night. Then we walked home and my hips were so sore (it's always my right hip) and my pillow is too flat, too! I could have over-stretched with yesterday's yoga, also.

Sherry, glad your DD seems to be back to normal.

Donna, yes Molly Fox had some much earlier released yoga that was later a 3 DVD set. I had one that had a tan cover and don't remember too much about it, but it was one of my very early yoga workouts (along with Patricia Walden and Rodney Yee.) I got rid of it, for some reason. She had super short hair on the cover of the workout. So, I'm guessing that's the same Molly Fox from the Skinny Jeans workout. I never knew she had a Skinny Jeans workout with yoga and weights, too! But, I discovered that recently when I did a search for her. And, the yoga with weights workout was released around the same time 2011.

Night all!

April Focus:
Old 07-29-21, 10:18 PM  
Leonana

Pam, I went to Goodwill today and picked up Gaiam Suzanne Deason AM and PM Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. I think I read your positive review of it, unless it was a different AM and PM workout! I didn’t buy them, but I saw a couple of older yoga dvd’s by a Jeff Martens. What is the first Waterfire lighting? Sounds fun!

Donna, I forgot to mention that Justina Ercole did a video on cardio and said the 10,000 number was from a pedometer manufacturer to sell more product. Justina recommends focusing on a weekly total, since steps can vary from day to day. Good luck with reaching your goal.

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy