Big, BIG hugs!
Old 06-23-21, 05:55 PM  
Demeris

Oh, Alta, I am so sorry. Here's a big hug [(((alta)))]
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 07:09 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

(((hugs)) Alta, sorry about your vision problems from the surgery. Good luck with your second opinion.
Old 06-23-21, 07:24 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Alta, sending healing thoughts and {{HUGS}} to you. I hope the second opinion brings good news!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 07:46 PM  
Elsie

(((Hugs))) & positive vibes to you! Sounds like you're exercising as much patience as one person could during all of this. It's wonderful that you live close enough to a teaching hospital.
Keep us updated.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 07:56 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Wow, I hope things improve for you Alta. It sounds so disorienting to have these vision problems and frustrating to deal with a medical professional that doesn’t try to help.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 09:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
The lack of good health care these days just angers me. Not just because everything is so expensive, that is part of it, but also, where has the quality/listen to the patient care gone? I have a friend who was so sick and went months and months being told by her doctor "everything is normal" yet she could not eat, was losing weight and having all kinds of issues. I have a knee replacement and the past 3 months I can barely walk up the stairs and my pain level in that knee is 9. I finally went in and the doctor lean back in his chair and said "that's normal." I got so angry. I said it was not normal. I am 1 1/2 years post op and I am not supposed to have so much pain that I can't climb a flight of stairs. It just drains us to have to fight to be heard. I am so sorry you are going through this. There is no excuse for lack of good health care.
Mary (Izzy), I'm so sorry about your knee! In my my book, any pain level over 8 (out of 10) warrants a trip to the ER. Your doctor sounds like an ass. Is there any way you could get a second opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I went to an ophthalmologist a few months ago who told me I needed laser surgery to correct an issue I never knew I had because no one had ever mentioned it. I didn't believe him, so I went to another ophthalmologist who told me I do have the issue, but it's so minor that he would never operate. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the first guy. Sometimes I feel like medical people are just in it for the money and forget what they real purpose of medicine is supposed to be.
Nowadays it seems that second (and third) opinions are almost a given.

Years ago, I had a torn labrum in my hip. I went to a well-known orthopedic surgeon. He examined my MRI and declared that my labral tear was SEVERE and I needed surgery right away. I chose to see another doc and they said it was a MINOR tear and gave me suggestions for helping the pain, including physical therapy. That was probably over ten years ago and it has never gotten so bad that I've needed surgery. Maybe down the road I will, but he was ready to go ASAP.

A more recent story of a relative of mine. She need a neck fusion surgery and did a lot of research to find the best doctor in the nearest major city. She found the so-called best and had to drive to the worst part of town to see him. After the surgery, she was in terrible pain. He had only given her strong pain meds to last a few days. She called and called the office of Dr. BestInTown. They did not return her calls for TEN days. So much for the best...

I'm sure we could overload VF if we posted all the stories like these!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 09:50 AM  
anetta

Plus and this is JMO I think the older we get, the more the doctors don't care.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 10:22 AM  
BigBadBetty

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you can find a resolution soon.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 12:56 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Hugs and I'm sorry you're going through this! My parents both had successful cataract surgery at one of the best eye clinics in the area, and the place is backed up for weeks and always crowded which says something about how rare good eye care is. I used to dread taking them there because it meant waiting around for hours.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad doctors, cataract side effects, cataract surgery, cataracts, medical care