Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-21, 01:57 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
Last year I had both knees replaced and have a serious plan for returning to peak fitness. Since I am only 12 weeks post-op for the second knee so far it is just walking, outside and inside, using my elliptical and some weights. I plan to return to the FIRM, some Cathe and my beloved step workouts. I will modify as needed to protect my new knees.
I hope you are able to get back to your step workouts when safe!
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 11:08 AM  
warriorprincess

I used to listen to a retirement financial podcast, and the guy referred to three phases: your go-go years, your slow-go years, and your no-go years. I think this roughly corresponds to your 60's, 70's, and 80's statistically.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 12:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I love the great stories of elderly relatives keeping active!

Longevity is not the best in my family, so I turn to VF for inspiration.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 02:06 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I used to listen to a retirement financial podcast, and the guy referred to three phases: your go-go years, your slow-go years, and your no-go years. I think this roughly corresponds to your 60's, 70's, and 80's statistically.
Unfortunately the Pandemic has made my 70's the no go years.
I do love hearing about the active older folks though so maybe the 80's will be better.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 02:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

My sister is my inspiration. She will be 76 next month and on her birthday she will cycle her age in kilometres.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 08:24 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

Here’s one for you.

One of my grandmothers was always very active (mostly cleaning like a whirling dervish and being an avid gardener) and could lean over from her hips and touch the floor well into her 80’s. She was an inspiration to me, but she was always flummoxed that no one else in the family could could touch the floor like she could. Her mom lived to be over 100 and my grandmother lived to 93, so I think good genes played a part but she also had a very active church/social life and I think that played a big part in her longevity.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 08:56 PM  
Gams

I think people wouldn’t lose the ability to do some things if they were things people do on a regular basis. Some people probably don’t get down on the floor at all or even have reason to touch their toes, but if they practiced those things as part of their regular exercise routine, they would retain the ability much longer.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 09:17 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My sister is my inspiration. She will be 76 next month and on her birthday she will cycle her age in kilometres.
Wow, that is an inspiration!

I play pick-up hockey with a bunch of women, many of who are grandmothers. I don't know anyone's exact age, but I am in my late forties and my guess, based on the the number who have adult children or are retired, is that I am one of the youngest on the team. One of the grandmothers often has to leave the game a few minutes early, because she teaches a yoga class right afterwards!

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 02:07 PM  
Kizzy

I LOVE this thread!! You all have made me laugh and groan at the same time! I feel some of your pains and am soooo inspired by the older women and have enjoyed your comments and stories about your parents and grandparents. My grandma died in her late 80's...had no arthritis and would curl up on the couch when she read or watched tv. She was an avid gardener so kept herself moving in all directions till near the end.

I too went and sat down on the floor to see if I could get back up without using my hands. I DID!! YAY!!

I am going to be 64 this year and am so blessed that I don't have arthritis. I do have issues with lower back pain once in awhile and a 'hinky' hip and knee. If I sleep on the couch or a different bed...that is when I feel them.

I was just told by a new eye doctor that I am close to needing cataract surgery in one eye. I was never told there was a problem to begin with!!! I promptly went out and bought some Eye Antioxidant supplements to add to my diet. I also just bought the book Better Vision Now. It has eye exercises and advice to help improve vision and cataracts. Like a number of you I have Night Blindness. I have poor vision anyways so this started happening in my 50's. I very rarely drive at night. It has to be pretty important for me to get behind the wheel after dark.

I use to exercise every day whether it be walking 3 miles or doing a workout. Sometimes both. The last few years I've slacked off and have become quite flabby. LOL! My goal this year is too get back on track and move every day with walking and/or a workout DVD. I wouldn't mind tightening back up a bit.

Jessica Smith is my go-to. I appreciate the variety and that so many of her workouts are filmed outside or in front of a huge window. I'm looking forward to her new series that is due out.

I think my major concern right now is my memory. I don't like it that I have to stick up posted notes to remind myself of 'whatever'. I need to start eating more blueberries and walnuts!!

I am so, so grateful that I don't look my age...vain, I know, but my husband sure does appreciate it. He thanks me often for taking care of myself. I think having a spirit of gratitude, watching your diet and exercising regularly is the key to it all.

May we all have a blessed year full of good health and happiness!

Keep on moving!!!
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 04:55 PM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Turning 65 in July, and except for my broken ankle (March 13, 2020) I feel pretty good. I work out 4-5 times a week and see a trainer once weekly. Since I am VERY careful since the ankle, I do low impact and have stopped doing step.

Just happy to be able to do something. Hoping my medicare supplemental program includes a gym membership like my husband's does. I see swimming as a workout in my future.

Joanne

Tags
aging, inspiration, inspirational, over 50, senior, sit stand test, skates, vf inspiration, vintage, vintage vfers