Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-21, 08:46 PM  
creatrix

Essentrics for someone who's job is kicking their butt?

I started working as a custodian for a large apartment complex last month. Every day I come home with sore feet, sore back, sore shoulders. I tried doing morning yoga, but certain poses are too hard on my shoulders (they're sensitive and complain-y at the best of times). I'm happy to be working again, but I'm afraid I'll damage myself!

I'm considering trying the 70-something Essentrics rotation just to get some healthy movement (I'm in my 50s). Would that be a good idea? Or should I just stick to stretching what hurts when I think of it?
Old 01-18-21, 08:42 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I would definitely recommend CS/Essentrics, as it works and stretches the entire body and full muscle chains. It's tempting to stretch just the area that hurts, but the pain and tightness might be originating from somewhere else. For example, knee pain can be from the hips, shoulder pain from tight rib muscles, back pain from the hamstrings.

Some of my favorites lately have had words like "restore", "rebalance" and "connective tissue" in the titles. I don't remember the specific ones exactly - they start to sound alike. But I feel better all over.

Good luck with the new job. It sounds like hard work and I bet the restorative work will feel great!
Old 01-18-21, 09:07 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

creatrix...

So sorry you're hurting. Custodial work is challenging and exhausting. I would agree with Mopsy to look for restorative, stress or pain relief workouts. She is also right in that sometimes the pain is not the source of the problem, so I'd encourage you to do total body rebalancing workouts.

The 50's, 60's and 70's rotations seem to be gentle. I have also done Amanda and Maude's workouts this week and those were also gentle.

Hope you feel better soon.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 10:30 AM  
creatrix

Thank you! I just signed up for the trial. I will look out for those magic words in the workout titles.

As a side note, I worked in bars in the before times, and now I think back fondly to how my coworkers and I would complain about our hard shifts. Ha! On the upside, my only loud customers now are ducks.
Old 01-18-21, 12:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think it's also good to treat your workday like a workout -
- do a warm-up prior to starting out (CS moves would be good for this)
- make sure you have good footwear
- consider wearing a lower back support around your waist (similar to the kind that weight lifters use, but are designed for working)
- follow best practices and good form for lifting objects no matter how light the object is
- use rolling carts as much as possible and avoid carrying and lifting heavy objects for long periods/distances
- do a quick stretch after every few hours during work
- self-trigger on when your back is slouching and make it erect, from your feet up to your skull
- do CS stretching immediately after work - many of the standing techniques can be done anywhere
- get enough rest in order to recover

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 05:33 PM  
geojill

I definitely recommend CS/Essentrics. I fix water quality instruments and there have been days I have felt SOOO arthritic. I love yoga so much, but CS/Essentrics makes me feel better physically. And what’s even better is that even if there is a ‘focus’ for a video, it always works the entire body, and entire muscle chains. It really helps me feel like my body has better alignment overall, which helps me feel physically younger. I wear Skechers Max Cushion sneakers because I stand on a cement floor a large portion of the day (I prefer to stand vs sit at my bench for the repairs) and these shoes have made a bigger difference for me, too. Good luck!!
Old 01-18-21, 11:49 PM  
fanofladyvols

Can you take a tennis ball to roll your feet and back during the work day on break?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, essentrics, foot pain, shoulder pain