Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-11, 12:43 PM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i so want this but i'm so afraid to spend the money on it! every time i read about it... it sounds.so.good.... but then i go read the reviews and watch the clip..... i hate the drums and so many others in the reviews complain about the drums! UGH! why couldn't she have just used regular music on this!
I thought I would have problems with the drums when I previewed the workout. Every time I've done Atletica, I turn it on, start hearing the bongos during the warmup and think "ug, I have to listen to that". By the time I'm swinging the weight on the first set, I don't even consciously notice them, but I subconsciously swing the weights to the beat...which is what I'm supposed to do. They really do help to "pace" the workout and I think the workout is stronger for having them.

In short, I think they're a lot more intrusive when previewing the workout than when you're sweating your butt off during it.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 01:32 PM  
Hilary

I'm glad to see this thread bumped up. I've been doing Atletica regularly since it was first released, and I agree ... it really is one of the most difficult workouts I have. I am a huge Ilaria fan because she looks amazing and always seems to be genuinely enjoying what she's doing ... and given that she's hefting around a 15-pound dumbbell while I can barely keep up with a 10# ... that's pretty inspiring! I have a teeny bit of a dread factor with this workout, but when it's over, I feel really proud of myself and completely exhausted! My HR is up the entire time and every muscle in my body feels like it's been worked.

Count me as someone who really enjoys the drums. I didn't think I would. But they suit the workout. And since a lot of the moves are done when you can't look at the screen, it really helps me to stay on beat. I think it's WAY better than the stuff Cathe uses in STS, but that's just my humble opinion
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 04:53 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I've done Atletica before, but it's been a while. So while I'm on my "recovery" week after the 2nd phase of P90X, I decided to bring this out of the drawer and give it another shot.

...I have to say that this may be the single most difficult workout I own - even more so than Insanity. Not because it's a grind, because it most certainly is not. It's actually pretty entertaining. But I was absolutely spent after getting done and unlike Insanity, it was my entire body that was spent. Calf muscles, quads, glutes, core, triceps, biceps, chest, lower back, shoulders, forearms...the entire package was worked hard. There was literally a puddle of sweat on my workout mat (glad I had it down...NEW carpet!) and it was running off of me in rivulets. That only thing that was "easy" were the 50 pushups at the end. My heart rate was through the roof during the entire program and I could actually feel my metabolism working overtime for a few hours after.

Gosh, if this is what kettlebells are like, I'm going to have to give those a go!
I have to say, this is the workout that inspired me to get a sandbag and got me started on that kind of training. And yeah, like you, I much prefer this workout to Insanity and feel much more thoroughly worked afterward.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 06:41 AM  
bee1forfitness

Wow..I've had this since it first came out and I haven't even open it yet...guess I'll try it later on in the week, I not sure why I buy DVDs when I know I love to workout to written workouts lately
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 03:16 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Bumping this up because I did this one for the first time this morning. Loved it. Feeling DOMS already and they day isn't even over yet. I was a little intimidated by Ilaria, she's in incredible shape, I really thought she's be one of those Venus DeMilo types from In Living Color, but she seems really sweet and I love her accent.... especially the way she says "four". That just tickles me for some reason.

I didn't mind the drums at all, I actually thought it was a nice change of pace from regular "music" in like every other workout. I hope she does another workout similar to this one I'd order in a heartbeat.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 05:13 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I just got this one last week. Never owned an Illaria workout before. Love Atletica!

Vidiot that I am, I am now wondering when the sequel is coming out.

Hopeless.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:55 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Pulled this one out again this morning. It's definitely going into my 60 day Skogg rotation I'm starting next week, on non Skogg days. Awesome. I even used a light kettlebell for the swings, just to give it a different feel. Loved it so much I bought Powerstrikes 5, Bodystrikes 2 and Forza 2. To add to the rotation. I'm in LOVE!
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atletica, halfsies, ilaria, ilaria montagnani, momentum