Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-21, 01:54 PM  
Erica H.

Using a rower after foot surgery

Looks like it's likely that I'm going to need foot surgery soon and I was told no weight bearing after surgery. I've been using my spin bike for the past two months due to my injury (I'm a runner) but don't think I'll be able to do that after surgery and was wondering if a rower would be good for cardio.

Can a rower be used with just one leg? Is it possible to row without putting pressure on the injured foot? I've been through many injuries and surgeries over the years, but never had to comply with complete non-weight bearing.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 02:37 PM  
kat999

I sometimes do a rowing motion with just a Thera-Band by sitting on the floor and pulling the band around my feet, then making the rowing motion (you don't get the same flexion in the knees as you do when using a real rowing machine, of course, but there is a similar upper-body and abs benefit, and this was a substitution shown to me by a physical therapist). It would be very easy to simply put the band around one foot rather than two and still do the upper-body moves.

However, with a rowing machine, I don't know that it's possible to keep one foot out, especially if you are bending your knees together on each rep. You could certainly experiment a bit, but it might feel awkward and still wind up putting pressure on your injured foot.
Old 07-26-21, 02:47 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I sometimes do a rowing motion with just a Thera-Band by sitting on the floor and pulling the band around my feet, then making the rowing motion (you don't get the same flexion in the knees as you do when using a real rowing machine, of course, but there is a similar upper-body and abs benefit, and this was a substitution shown to me by a physical therapist). It would be very easy to simply put the band around one foot rather than two and still do the upper-body moves.
Thank you! Do you get any cardio benefit from doing this? I figure I can do some upper body work using my resistance bands, but am trying to figure out cardio other than boxing in a chair.

Erica
Old 07-26-21, 03:19 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you! Do you get any cardio benefit from doing this? I figure I can do some upper body work using my resistance bands, but am trying to figure out cardio other than boxing in a chair.

Erica
Oh, absolutely! I usually just do it as part of a full workout, so I only do it for a few minutes, but if you're trying to make it your whole routine, just do it for longer and then maybe add in other upper-body cardio. And per my PT, it's very good for shoulders, rotator cuffs, and upper biceps and triceps.
Old 07-26-21, 03:28 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Look up Lisa Ericson's workout on youtube. It's designed for those in wheelchairs and is a cardio workout that's all upper body. There are some others too, but Lisa's workout was originally a video and has high production values. At the very least it'll give you some ideas.
Old 07-26-21, 03:31 PM  
Vantreesta

Caroline Jordan on YouTube has a lot of workouts to do with a hurt foot. I haven't tried any of those but I do use her glute and hamstring videos. She's on the chipper and chatty side but I find the workouts I've done have been helpful.

I've never tried my rower with one foot but it seems like Shane Farmer of Dark Horse Rowing on YT shows in one video that you can do it. Seems like maybe you set the injured foot on a skate board or smthg?

ETA: I found the Dark Horse Rowing video about rowing while injured.
https://youtu.be/xv15zpmpcO4
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 05:11 PM  
Erica H.

Thank you everyone! These are great suggestions.

Erica
Old 07-26-21, 08:47 PM  
laurawd

I am 6 weeks into a broken foot. ... Do you have access to a pool? If so, I highly recommend fluid running (look up H2Go). ALSO: Caroline Jordan has some fun 'hurt foot workouts' available on YouTube. Check 'em out.

FWIW: Rowing was NOT good for my foot, and spinning wasn't good either - involves some torque/movement that jeopardizes repair.

ETA: Just noticed that someone else mentioned Caroline Jordan... anyway, here's an endorsement from someone who has done her workouts.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 12:04 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurawd View Post
I am 6 weeks into a broken foot. ... Do you have access to a pool? If so, I highly recommend fluid running (look up H2Go). ALSO: Caroline Jordan has some fun 'hurt foot workouts' available on YouTube. Check 'em out.

FWIW: Rowing was NOT good for my foot, and spinning wasn't good either - involves some torque/movement that jeopardizes repair.

ETA: Just noticed that someone else mentioned Caroline Jordan... anyway, here's an endorsement from someone who has done her workouts.
Thank you so much!

I had a broken foot in 2013 and don't remember much about it but I think I was able to do a lot in the boot fairly quickly. With this, I'll be 100% nonweight bearing for a long time and then will have months of PT. From what I've seen/heard it's a very long recovery.

I suspect spinning (what I've been doing) isn't good for my foot either, but I'm desperate to do something! I've been keeping the resistance low and minimizing standing movements. Today will be my first time doing it with an ankle brace on so maybe that will help.

I checked out Caroline Jordan and the other videos mentioned here and they look like good options. Anything is better than sitting around feeling sorry for myself. BTDT when I shattered my ankle years ago and got depressed and gained a ton of weight.

There is a Y nearby with a pool, but I don't belong and I hate pools. I have zero tolerance for cold water and the pool is painful for me! I'm a wimp!

ETA - how is your recovery going? I remember my broken foot healed well but then I ended up with another injury from my alignment being off from walking with the boot a lot.

Erica
Old 07-27-21, 12:11 AM  
Vantreesta

Erica, what did you find out about your injury and how did it happen? Seems like I remember you starting a thread about running and pain or swelling?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot surgery, rower, rowing machine