Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-21, 09:50 AM  
Libby

Sciactic & hip pain

What do you do that really helps with sciatic and hip pain? Anything that I should be avoiding while I'm having this?
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 10:06 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am sorry you're dealing with pain. It's always good to get an evaluation from your HCP...chiro, OT, doc.

Of course I'm going to suggest Essentrics/Classical Stretch. It has helped me a lot with my own back and hip issues.

I also really like Lee Holden's back pain practices and 7 Minutes of Magic (PM, extended). Bendy Body has a nice lower back release.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 11:46 AM  
Scorpio6

contact Rick Kaselj, he has a tremendous online presence, and is a licensed physical therapist in British Columbia. He has a specific program for sciatica and can save you a truckload of money besides helping tog et you out of pain. He has an MS in physical therapy. He has pdf files as well as demo videos on the exercises. Tell him Carol Laitinen referred you, I'm a regular customer.

Exercises For Injuries #2289 - 3151 Lakeshore Road Kelowna, British Columbia V1W 3S9 Canada (888) 291-2430
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 05:49 PM  
edensmom

I have sciatica/degenerative disc disease between L4 and L5. I don't find any particular exercises help alleviate the pain of a flare-up. However there are exercises I find it helpful to avoid - anything twisting (wood chops, Russian twist), anything bent over (rows, deadlifts), anything up and down (burpees and the like) or anything with a lot of impact. What does help is ice/heat, ibuprofen, pain patches, and time.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 07:09 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
What do you do that really helps with sciatic and hip pain? Anything that I should be avoiding while I'm having this?
It can really help if you figure out the origin of the pain. It will typically start from nerve impingement in the lower spine itself or from compression of the sciatica nerve by tight hip muscles.

If you have sciatic pain caused by tight hip muscles (particularly the piriformis muscle), gradually warming/strengthening/stretching the hips can resolve the issue. Pain caused by nerve impingement in the spine is more complicated and assessment is needed to help determine the best course of action. Supervised core strengthening (as in physical therapy prescribed by your doctor) can often be helpful if the degeneration is not advanced. Sometimes this will be combined with injections or anti-inflammatories to help keep symptoms at bay while you rehabilitate.

Maybe this article will help.

Another article with less info but maybe better pictures
Old 07-22-21, 08:14 AM  
Gams

This may not be very helpful, but getting a new mattress helped my hip pain dramatically.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-21, 09:04 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I have sciatica/degenerative disc disease between L4 and L5. I don't find any particular exercises help alleviate the pain of a flare-up. However there are exercises I find it helpful to avoid - anything twisting (wood chops, Russian twist), anything bent over (rows, deadlifts), anything up and down (burpees and the like) or anything with a lot of impact. What does help is ice/heat, ibuprofen, pain patches, and time.
This is what worked for me.
Old 07-22-21, 12:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
This may not be very helpful, but getting a new mattress helped my hip pain dramatically.
interesting. what brand do you have? did you also change the box spring as well?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-21, 02:20 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Depending on the source of pain, this can actually be very helpful as it reduces compression on hot spots/trigger points. I have seen hip bursitis significantly reduced just by adding a memory foam topper (which is sometimes a more affordable choice).
Old 07-22-21, 04:08 PM  
Gams

I got a Sealy Spring Blossom Medium Queen mattress. It was $600. I got the mattress only.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, hip pain, mattress, sciatica