Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-21, 01:14 PM  
Gams

Need recs for beginner yoga

Could anyone recommend some good beginner yoga DVDs?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 01:55 PM  
sillygirl

My favorite yoga DVDs are the Element ones with Alanna Zabel - beautiful scenery and I like her instruction style. I think at least 2 of the 3 DVDs I have include a nice 10-11 minute bonus meditation. I also have and like Beginning Yoga with Chrissy Carter. Another good one is the Weight Watchers Yoga with Sara Ivanhoe.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 02:10 PM  
Marilyn

I love Sarah Starr Happy Yoga Chair Yoga.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 03:48 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Jane Adams is very relaxing with beautiful scenery. She's good for beginners and seniors. One of my favorites of hers is her Lying practice on her Gentle Yoga DVD, but they're all great!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 03:52 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Another one I've used a lot is Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility. I love the twenty minute practices for (Neck and Shoulders) and (Hips and Knees!)

Current Rotation:
Old 06-27-21, 04:04 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Jane Adams is very relaxing with beautiful scenery. She's good for beginners and seniors. One of my favorites of hers is her Lying practice on her Gentle Yoga DVD, but they're all great!
I was going to recommend this, also -- but I always do, haha!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 04:10 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I don't know if you'd prefer male or female instructors, but I've been doing a number of Dean Pohlman's DVDs the last couple of months. He takes things slower and uses props (yoga strap, blocks) with many of his practices. He's very detailed with good explanation. Yoga Fix DVD has five twenty minute practices for every day of the week, but my most used practice of his is the AM (Rise) workout from his Yoga Charge DVD. I also like his Yoga Sharpen workout from his Yoga Boost DVD.

If you want to see if you like Dean's style, he's on YouTube under "Man Flow Yoga" and/or "Dean Pohlman." He's marketed his workouts online for men, but his yoga is great for everyone at any level.

Current Rotation:
Old 06-27-21, 04:12 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
I agree! I love that one too.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 04:17 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
I don't know if you'd prefer male or female instructors, but I've been doing a number of Dean Pohlman's DVDs the last couple of months. He takes things slower and uses props (yoga strap, blocks) with many of his practices. He's very detailed with good explanation. Yoga Fix has five twenty minute practices for every day of the week, but my most used practice of his is the AM (Rise) workout from his Yoga Charge DVD. I also like his Yoga Sharpen workout from his Yoga Boost DVD.

If you want to see if you like Dean's style, he's on YouTube under "Man Flow Yoga" and/or "Dean Pohlman." He's marketed his workouts online for men, but his yoga is great for everyone at any level.
I love Dean. His instructions are impeccable. His style is completely no nonsense. There is no spiritual aspect to his program.
Old 06-27-21, 04:27 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

For beautiful outdoor scenery, Rodney Yee's AM Yoga For Your Week is nice. But, this one is best for people who have done some yoga before, as Rodney moves quickly from pose to pose. I think there are better DVDs for learning proper form and alignment, but some days you don't want to hear a bunch of talking, so a younger Rodney can be very peaceful. If you're flexible already or are doing this one along with something else, it's fine.

Current Rotation:

Tags
beginner yoga, chair yoga, yoga, yoga for beginners