Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-21, 11:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter
 
Sue B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
The Menopause Manifesto by Dr. Jen Gunter

Since menopause is a big topic around here, this is a new book that answers a lot of your questions. The author is an OB-GYN who debunks a lot of myths about HRT, diet and exercise, various treatments (like progesterone cream - avoid) and so on. Also she points out that a lot of symptoms women blame on menopause are just things that come along with aging - old men get senior moments, gain weight and have to slow down too! I'm not done reading but it's very fascinating.
https://www.amazon.com/Menopause-Man.../dp/0806540664
__________________
Move your body often, sometimes hard. Every bit counts.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 12:14 PM  
mamaste
 
Join Date: May 2008
I have this book! I follow her on Twitter and preordered last year. Itís great. Dr. Jen is a wealth of info just on social media. Iíve learned a lot from her.
__________________
Life is not about who you once were. It is about who you are right now and the person you have the potential to become.
mamaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 12:16 PM  
donnamp
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland, USA
That is interesting!

I think women tend to blame everything on their hormones, and while it is definitely a factor, it isn't the sole reason for everything that happens to us. As you said, men age, too, they get belly fat, lose muscle, have aches and pains, become forgetful, etc.

I also think a lot of our symptoms are tied to lifestyle issues/the season of life we are in as well as aging and hormones. It all seems to hit us at once - the timing of peri-meno/meno coincides for many of us with a season of life when we are dealing with a lot of lifestyle changes - caring for/worrying about aging or ill parents, kids that are at an age where they are challenging us, kids leaving the nest, retirements (either our own or our significant others), job stress, relocations, etc.

So while I don't discount that hormones play a role, I think there are a lot of things that are going on - as well - including lifestyle and just natural (non-hormonal related) aging.

I know for me it is hard to separate my difficulty sleeping or focusing from hormones or just worry about various life events that are taking place right now. Is the 6 pounds I gained hormonal or just from snacking and sitting more as I worked from home for the past 15 months??

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:13 PM  
rhbrand
VF Supporter
 
rhbrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Iowa
She was on Doctor Radio, which I love to listen to when I'm out and about. She was so knowledgeable and I loved her advise.
Might just have to pick up her books as I try to make my way though peri-menopause and then menopause.
__________________
Check out my Blog Link in Profile on Home Page
rhbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:15 PM  
moonbeam31
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Grand Canyon State
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
That is interesting!

I think women tend to blame everything on their hormones, and while it is definitely a factor, it isn't the sole reason for everything that happens to us. As you said, men age, too, they get belly fat, lose muscle, have aches and pains, become forgetful, etc.

I also think a lot of our symptoms are tied to lifestyle issues/the season of life we are in as well as aging and hormones. It all seems to hit us at once - the timing of peri-meno/meno coincides for many of us with a season of life when we are dealing with a lot of lifestyle changes - caring for/worrying about aging or ill parents, kids that are at an age where they are challenging us, kids leaving the nest, retirements (either our own or our significant others), job stress, relocations, etc.

So while I don't discount that hormones play a role, I think there are a lot of things that are going on - as well - including lifestyle and just natural (non-hormonal related) aging.

I know for me it is hard to separate my difficulty sleeping or focusing from hormones or just worry about various life events that are taking place right now. Is the 6 pounds I gained hormonal or just from snacking and sitting more as I worked from home for the past 15 months??

Donna
Well put! I'll look into this book!
__________________
"Slow and Steady wins the race!" The Tortoise and the Hare-Aesop's Fables
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:16 PM  
moonbeam31
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Grand Canyon State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Since menopause is a big topic around here, this is a new book that answers a lot of your questions. The author is an OB-GYN who debunks a lot of myths about HRT, diet and exercise, various treatments (like progesterone cream - avoid) and so on. Also she points out that a lot of symptoms women blame on menopause are just things that come along with aging - old men get senior moments, gain weight and have to slow down too! I'm not done reading but it's very fascinating.
https://www.amazon.com/Menopause-Man.../dp/0806540664
thanks for the rec!
__________________
"Slow and Steady wins the race!" The Tortoise and the Hare-Aesop's Fables
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:21 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Colorado Springs
I don't know. I really struggled through peri-menopause and menopause. The mood changes were awful and affected those around me. I had a lot of problems.

Since then I have been through chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant (which was no picnic) and now I still feel better than I did during those menopause years.
__________________
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." Leo Tolstoy
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 06:51 AM  
laurawd
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Men's 'aging' is also do in part to hormones?
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:32 AM  
Demeris
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
The perimenopause and menopause symptoms I suffered through were horrendous.

I'm now 7 years post menopause and can clearly distinguish between my menopausal suffering and how my body is aging.

I'm happy for all of this doctor's patients who didn't go through the physical struggles and terrifying mood swings I had for 5 years. And I am deeply grateful Those issues are behind me. Aging is no picnic, but menopause was the worst thing I ever experienced, physically.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 09:40 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter
 
Sue B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
I have this book! I follow her on Twitter and preordered last year. Itís great. Dr. Jen is a wealth of info just on social media. Iíve learned a lot from her.
That's where I discovered her, on Twitter. Boy she takes no prisoners! She also has a good series on Amazon Prime called Jensplaining.
__________________
Move your body often, sometimes hard. Every bit counts.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aging, menopause

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness