Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-20, 09:36 AM  
Harivelo

Talking Usps issue with stamped envelopes

A fellow VFer sent me 3 DVDs (without cases) in the self-addressed envelope, also known as SASE, I provided. Someone at USPS decided that it presented "heightened security concerns." They covered my home address with a blue sticker that said,
"The following must be presented by the customer to a retail service associate at a Post Office location for shipment:
Any mailpiece over one-half inch thick that uses POSTAGE STAMPS
Any mailpiece that weighs more than 10oz and uses POSTAGE STAMPS..."
There were 2 other reasons listed that applied only to international mailpieces.

The USPS employee thought that the pandemic was not a good enough excuse for leaving a stamped package for pick up instead of taking it to the post office. I still received my DVDs in the mail because I was cautious when I prepared my SASE. Instead of the real sender's information I used my VF name and my office address.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 02:38 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

The 13 oz rule

I'm impressed that the postal carrier allowed the package through. Since 2011 USPS has had the 13 oz rule.

Requiring the sender to hand pkgs to a counter clerk was a safety mechanism to mitigate terrorist acts via mail.

A way to get around this would be to ask the SASE recipient to send on TWO mailers, one with postage for two DVDs, the other with postage to cover one DVD.

I love sending SASEs to share the wealth and extend the life of a workout DVD I no longer use, but most times I've limited each recipient to 2 DVDs for this very reason - it's tough to have to schedule a post office visit when I work full time.

Glad you received the DVDs! Kudos to your generous sender.

Tags
usps