Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-21, 12:41 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Number of sets in weight lifting

I have been doing traditional weight work for the past 4 weeks. Generally 2 sets of 12 which is the rep range I prefer to work in. However, most of Cathe's weight sets (that I own) have 3 sets, so I'm wondering if I should be doing a third set, even though it takes more time. What is the benefit of that third set?
Right now my goals are getting stronger and building muscle.
Old 07-10-21, 12:55 PM  
bubbles76

For me, it's mental . The first set I tend to go light on, as I'm test driving. I have so many dvds, it's hard to remember for a specific dvd if I should go light, what the rep range or number of sets will be, etc. So the first set is always the test set. The second set, I feel okay I got this. The third set, I try to tire myself out and feel like a badd a$$.

If I want to go really heavy though, I prefer two sets of 8 or 10, not 12. 12 just seems like so many reps.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-21, 02:18 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
For me, it's mental . The first set I tend to go light on, as I'm test driving. I have so many dvds, it's hard to remember for a specific dvd if I should go light, what the rep range or number of sets will be, etc. So the first set is always the test set. The second set, I feel okay I got this. The third set, I try to tire myself out and feel like a badd a$$.

If I want to go really heavy though, I prefer two sets of 8 or 10, not 12. 12 just seems like so many reps.
This is my typical pattern---3 sets with great effort (to failure) on the last set and warm-up mentality on the 1st set. I esp do 3 sets if I'm doing splits that have me working that region of the body only 1x/week.

I have more rarely done 4 sets (old school body building). That gives great results but prepare to be sore!
Old 07-10-21, 03:08 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies. This is interesting because I was considering a question about warmups. Is it better to do a choreographed warmup or a warm up set of the exercise you're going to do? I do know that I can't do push ups right off the bat. I have to be warmed up first.
Old 07-10-21, 06:10 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks for the replies. This is interesting because I was considering a question about warmups. Is it better to do a choreographed warmup or a warm up set of the exercise you're going to do? I do know that I can't do push ups right off the bat. I have to be warmed up first.
Choreographed warm-up and warm-up set. So either push-ups on an incline/knees or chest-press with lighter weight.

ETA: To clarify, I do a brief/light aerobic type warm-up (sometimes with mobility work) prior to the start of my strength training session.
Old 07-10-21, 09:29 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I remember back some time ago I read an article about how 3 sets adds only a slight amount of benefit over 2 sets. I don't remember where it was or who wrote it, but it was compelling enough to convince me that 2 sets is just fine.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 07:18 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I remember back some time ago I read an article about how 3 sets adds only a slight amount of benefit over 2 sets. I don't remember where it was or who wrote it, but it was compelling enough to convince me that 2 sets is just fine.
I think I remember Charlene Prickett referencing an article that said the 3rd set adds very little benefit. This was a long time ago of course so I can't be more specific than that
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 09:09 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Likewise! And I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned several times by a variety of strength-trainers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 12:29 PM  
prettyinpink

Some of the written plans I have been doing have me doing 3 sets for the first few exercises, usually harder with heavier weight and fewer reps per set, like 3-8 Then several more exercises with 2 sets with 12-20 reps each, more like “burnout” sets with lighter weights since muscles are already tired from the heavier sets.

I don’t know what research shows, but I suspect there isn’t a clear cut answer.

For some upper body exercises, if I really go as heavy as I can for 12 reps, by the third set I may only be able to finish 8 or 9.

One reason to sometimes build in more sets is if you primarily use dumbbell exercises, it gets harder to increase weights in small increments. There is a big difference in going from 10 to 15, or 15 to 20, for a shoulder press or bicep curl. And to build muscle, you need to have some type of progression over time. Going from 2 to 3 sets is one way to do that if you aren’t ready to go up in weight. Another way is going up in weight but decreasing reps until you can build them back up again. Thinking about progression is probably a better way to build strength than always sticking to a certain number of reps or sets.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 02:38 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

One reason to sometimes build in more sets is if you primarily use dumbbell exercises, it gets harder to increase weights in small increments. There is a big difference in going from 10 to 15, or 15 to 20, for a shoulder press or bicep curl. And to build muscle, you need to have some type of progression over time. Going from 2 to 3 sets is one way to do that if you aren’t ready to go up in weight. Another way is going up in weight but decreasing reps until you can build them back up again. Thinking about progression is probably a better way to build strength than always sticking to a certain number of reps or sets.
This. The benefits really depends on the work you are doing. I use the first light set for w/u and injury prevention. If I had 2 sets where I pushed hard and went to failure, I would get good results. But I'm not going to failure in my first set. So studies aren't as useful if the parameters aren't made clear. Someone doing 1 hard set will have greater benefit than someone doing two or three lackluster sets. And I don't care what any study says if my body tells me differently. I get excellent muscle definition with 4 sets--I'm just usually too lazy and time restricted to do them regularly

Tags
number of reps, number of sets, reps, sets