Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-21, 09:50 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
The perimenopause and menopause symptoms I suffered through were horrendous.
I think I'm right in the height of perimenopause now at 47. I started gaining weight and not feeling like myself in October 2018 at age 44. Fast forward to now, and after numerous health issues and a 35 pound weight gain in nearly 3 years, everything is much worse mentally and physically. I'm still cycling very regularly, but I felt like I experienced a huge estrogen drop in December 2020 about 6 months ago, and everything after has been very challenging. Injuries, body aches, joint pain, headaches, bloating and swelling daily, worsening of every health issue. My mom breezed through and was completely done at 45. She barely remembers it now.

For those who've come out the other side and are post-menopausal, if you experienced a really bad perimenopause and menopause, how many years did it take? And/or did you get back to feeling more stable or lose the weight gain? I'm at nearly 3 years of really struggling (but other symptoms going back at least 6 or 8 years). I just wonder if I'll ever feel like myself again or if I'm doomed to live in this purgatory forever. I've never felt this awful nor had this out of control weight gain in my life that I haven't been able to lose before.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 10:02 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm post-menopausal, but I started on bio-identical hormones when I first started having hot flashes and, luckily, that took care of everything.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 10:06 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I'm post-menopausal, but I started on bio-identical hormones when I first started having hot flashes and, luckily, that took care of everything.
I wish I could take bioidenticals, but I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and I can't take any sort of hormone, not even bioidenticals. Just grin and bear it for me.
Old 06-08-21, 10:27 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I wish I could take bioidenticals, but I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and I can't take any sort of hormone, not even bioidenticals. Just grin and bear it for me.
Me too! Once I actually reached menopause things got a lot better but it probably took 7 years. Giving you a virtual hug. Peri-menopause is the worst
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 11:01 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I think I'm right in the height of perimenopause now at 47. I started gaining weight and not feeling like myself in October 2018 at age 44. Fast forward to now, and after numerous health issues and a 35 pound weight gain in nearly 3 years, everything is much worse mentally and physically. I'm still cycling very regularly, but I felt like I experienced a huge estrogen drop in December 2020 about 6 months ago, and everything after has been very challenging. Injuries, body aches, joint pain, headaches, bloating and swelling daily, worsening of every health issue. My mom breezed through and was completely done at 45. She barely remembers it now.

For those who've come out the other side and are post-menopausal, if you experienced a really bad perimenopause and menopause, how many years did it take? And/or did you get back to feeling more stable or lose the weight gain? I'm at nearly 3 years of really struggling (but other symptoms going back at least 6 or 8 years). I just wonder if I'll ever feel like myself again or if I'm doomed to live in this purgatory forever. I've never felt this awful nor had this out of control weight gain in my life that I haven't been able to lose before.
My big issues started when I was 52—bloating, some weight gain, insomnia, headaches, bone-weary fatigue. The worst was the deep, almost suicidal depression I experienced the day before my period. The first time it happens, it scared the breezes out of me. By the third month, I realized it was hormonal and was prepared for it, often taking the day off work so I could go to daily Mass, spend time with close friends, and enjoy some nature. My doctor's advice? Take Prozac. I declined. I also declined hormone therapy of any sort. My reasoning is that women have been going through menopause for millenia without modern medicine.

I had my last period a month before I turned 56, and by the end of the next year, all my symptoms had resolved. I had to change how I exercise and how I ate. I am careful to have at least two easy days between any workouts that are more demanding, so I don't trigger my cortisol, and I have to be very careful about portion control and WHAT I choose to eat because not all calories are created equal, not all fats are created equal, and not all carbs are created equal.

I'm now 64 and sleep through the night.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 02:02 PM  
upperwside

I'm ordering this book now. I'm almost 49 and I have very slight symptoms.. Weight, tired etc. I have her Vagina bible book as well, very interesting to read and worth reading even if you think your knowledgeable.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 03:18 PM  
IceQueen07

I am another who couldn't take hormones and the first year was not pleasant with the hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain. That was about 3 1/2 years ago and things have started leveling off. Only an occasional hot flash where I wake up in the middle of night and mood swings are still around but not too bad. Keeping weight off is much harder, but I am finally starting to sleep better. Other issues accompanied all of this with the drop in hormones, but there is really not much I can do about that and have learned to deal with it. I just purchased her book because knowledge is always good.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 04:07 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Hearing others' stories is helpful. I feel like I've been in this forever and since I'm still very regular that there's no end in sight. My biggest issues are the weight gain, nerve issues/digestive issues, and not being able to recover from injuries. I'm just hoping once I ever get to the other side that some of these issues level off. I felt like this came on suddenly, and I felt really unprepared for what I was about to experience. I hadn't even thought of perimenopause until about a year in (around age 45) when I had my gallbladder surgery and the surgeon asked me if I was still having periods. She told me I fit the mold for the typical gallbladder surgery patient -- over 40 and female with abdominal fat. It was right after that surgery that all my health problems and peri symptoms just went to crap.

I just wish I knew how much longer this phase of my life will last since I'm only 47, and I often fear that it will just get worse when I actually stop having periods. Sigh.
Old 06-08-21, 05:16 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

I'm now 7 years post menopause and can clearly distinguish between my menopausal suffering and how my body is aging...
This ^^^^.....+100

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 05:55 PM  
Sollamyn

I wish Amazon had the "See Inside" function for this book. I'd like to see a Table of Contents, at the very least. Maybe my local bookstore has it in stock.

It sounds interesting, but I've been burned before with books on menopause. (Christiane Northrup? Sorry, but she and I just didn't jive!) Therefore, I'd like to see more before shelling out $15.00.

Donna

Tags
aging, gall bladder, jen gunter, menopause