Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-21, 10:09 AM  
PennyK

Categorizing Workouts?

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 10:21 AM  
alisoncooks

Hi Penny!

As far as categorizing Pilates/yoga...I tend to go by how I feel while doing them (so they're individually categorized). So restorative yoga = stretch/mobility. But a lot of standing practices I'll rate as strength (or lower body) because of how I feel doing them.

I call most barre lower body...unless it has a decent UB segment (then it's total body/strength).

I couldn't tell ya re: the others. I tend to steer clear of workouts with those descriptors.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 10:46 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
What category would you put pilates (stretch/mobility/abs?) and barre (stretch/mobility/balance/lower body strength?)?
Fusion comes to mind if they are blended.

Would body/mind cover either pilates or barre when done separately?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 10:51 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 07:35 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Hi Penny!

I'd put Pilates in the core category, although there are some practices that has a special focus (lower, upper), the ones that are slow an relaxing, I'd say mobility.

I consider barre in the toning/strength category, it could be lower/ upper or full body depending of the DVD.

I am not into yoga, but the few I did, it'd be rather mobility than stretch, although I think yin yoga hold stretches longer, so that would be stretch. In the stretch category I woul plug athletic stretches like Slim & Limber, and the hour long version, can't remember it's name now; lastics, advance lastics, etc.

Hiit, high intensity interval training, Cathe has several of those. Hiit, is very intense. Interval could be anything like 40:20 (40 second of intense work, 20 seconds of rest), 30:30, 50:10, 45:15, 20:10. The 20:10 protocol is usually called tabata, is repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes.

Intervals, they could be low intensity or high (hiit), they could interval of weight, followed by cardio, I consider Zumba a cardio interval, some segments are harder faster than other, so the intensity varies.

Metabolic, most metabolic workouts use medium to heavy weights and move fast, and some has cardio intervals. Most men's health dvd are metabolic, Cathe has some too, etc.

And there is aerobic weight training, light weights with cardio as The Firm, but the workouts using heavier weights, I would consider metabolic.

Hope that help some!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catergorizing workouts