Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-21, 11:00 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
KarenJo - thanks. i wonder if i really need a ball? if Ana rolls on it, then I would need a ball. but if I can sub something else, I will.

you mentioned the stott workouts that use the tiny weighted balls - I saw 2 workouts - are both just UB workouts?

p.s. i found something on Amazon - Champion Reactor brand has a 1# ball. price is good, but wanted to ask people if a ball is really necessary.
No, a ball is not necessary. The original kit contained a one-pound ball, which the sidekick modifier uses. Ana uses a two-pound ball. IIRC, after buying the kit, there was an option to purchase that separately, by mail order.

The ball is held in one or both hands, only.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 01:55 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks Cynthia!

i'm looking forward to it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 09:08 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 09:12 AM  
PennyK

Old 05-03-21, 09:30 AM  
PennyK

Old 05-03-21, 09:55 AM  
PennyK

Old 05-03-21, 10:19 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Stott has both clips and breakdowns of moves on their site for DVDs they still have in stock. They do seem to have discontinued production of DVDs for consumers so some are gone from their site. The Toning Ball Workout has been gone for a while. It's the most advanced of the 3.

Here's the link for Total Body Toning. It has two 20-minute workouts - one all upper body and one that is more of a Pilates mat routine using the ball. The lower body moves pretty much just use the ball for muscle engagement or alignment. I used to do the upper body one regularly. It's a light workout with some different mobility moves. I remember lots of core engagement. Good for a day you need something but not up for a lot. I could use it when I had a bad knee day.

And here's a link for Amazing Tone. This is similar to the second workout on the other DVD and is mat Pilates based. I haven't done this one for a long time and don't remember details. As far as I remember the toning moves with the ball were upper body but the ball was used to make the mat moves more effective. Similar to doing a mat routine but different. Slower and deliberate.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 10:24 AM  
PennyK

Old 05-03-21, 12:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thank you all for adding more workouts that use mini weighted balls. i had seen them while looking around on the web all because of this thread.

I'm glad i didn't go out and buy a 1# weighted ball. i have all kinds of substitutes and a 1# seemed really light, and i would at least go with a 2# ball. in any case, i have 1# weights that can be used if a 2# weight is too heavy.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 01:26 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

If you're into Tai Chi, David Dorian Ross has multiple DVDs that use one or two balls, both older and new ones. He sometimes uses wooden balls. These are on my wish list but years ago I borrowed one from a VFer where he was on the beach and using small balls. I liked it but never actually bought my own. Of course, now that I'm doing more of these kinds of things I can't find that DVD. But here are links to one using a wooden ball and one in his newest series. . The balls are really expensive but most of the DVDs are available separately and should work with any balls.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ana caban, weighted ball workouts