Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-18, 08:45 AM  
rvagal

I'm going to ask my functional/integrative MD about getting the new Shingles vaccines this week. I am in my late 30s. My father, sister, and now brother have all gotten the shingles in their 40s. (That's how I caught the chickenpox - from my dad when he had the shingles.)

I also have a compromised immune system due to POTS and CFS, which is why I see this type of doctor. Hopefully he will agree that I am a good candidate for it.
Old 04-28-18, 01:05 PM  
JeepGirl

I never had chicken pox as a kid. I did have a blood test years ago and I had no immunity which surprised me, as I'd been around kids with chicken pox numerous times during childhood. I think I ended up getting the chicken pox vaccine as an adult but I'll have to check with my dr. Any idea how shingles affects someone who never had chicken pox? Shingles isn't passed around like a virus, it's a virus you've had all along that flares up?
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 05:49 PM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

I'm wondering the same thing, JeepGirl, since I'm also pretty sure I didn't have it as a child. An article in the New York Times this month said, "Studies have indicated that more than 99 percent of Americans aged 40 and older have had chickenpox even if they don’t remember it," which seems really strange to me.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 06:01 PM  
Erica H.

I never had it either. I think I got the vaccine while I was pregnant? I can't remember now. But blood tests showed I never had chicken pox for sure.
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 04:12 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauracat View Post
I'm wondering the same thing, JeepGirl, since I'm also pretty sure I didn't have it as a child. An article in the New York Times this month said, "Studies have indicated that more than 99 percent of Americans aged 40 and older have had chickenpox even if they don’t remember it," which seems really strange to me.
That's probably not far off the mark. There weren't chickenpox vaccines when I was a kid, like there are now. I'm 57. When we were kids, it was completely normal for us to have chickenpox, measles, mumps, and probably a few other things. I had them all.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 04:35 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauracat View Post
An article in the New York Times this month said, "Studies have indicated that more than 99 percent of Americans aged 40 and older have had chickenpox even if they don’t remember it," which seems really strange to me.
I had it when I was too young to remember it - but my mom tells stories of how miserable it was to care for two kids and a husband who all had chicken pox together. Back then, it was such a common disease that a huge number of kids, like me, got it when they were very young and therefore probably don't remember having it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 05:10 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I had the original shingles vaccine at about age 55, and just 2 months ago got stage one of the new vaccine.

I've had close family members experience shingles and never, ever want to to through that. It's May 1st, so now I'm due for the second shot of the new vaccine.

My insurance has paid for all my shingles vaccines, no matter my age. I DO NOT have awesome insurance. I am a single person paying through the nose for my monthly premium, with basically only catastrophic coverage and a $7000 deductible, yet they covered my shot. I was not going to wait until age 60 for my first one, so I checked with my insurance and I was covered at 55 so I got one then. Now I am 61 and of course covered for the new one too.

The first shot was a little painful and I had a bit of soreness in my arm, but that was it. No other side effects!
Old 05-01-18, 08:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
I never had chicken pox as a kid. I did have a blood test years ago and I had no immunity which surprised me, as I'd been around kids with chicken pox numerous times during childhood. I think I ended up getting the chicken pox vaccine as an adult but I'll have to check with my dr. Any idea how shingles affects someone who never had chicken pox? Shingles isn't passed around like a virus, it's a virus you've had all along that flares up?
Interesting. I never had chicken pox which was confirmed with a blood test also. So it stands to reason we couldn't get shingles right? Since you have to have the virus dormant in you. I'd love to know the answer as I'm not a big vaccine person and avoid them if possible.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 09:08 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Information from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) on how shingles is transmitted.

Specifically:

"Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can spread from a person with active shingles to cause chickenpox in someone who had never had chickenpox or received chickenpox vaccine."

I would advise reading the whole article for additional info about shingles.

Given the debilitating effects of shingles, I would also strongly advise anyone who has any question whatsoever about whether they should or should not get the vaccine to consult a qualified medical professional (i.e. an MD, DO, or a pharmacist).

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 09:13 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks for the link, Betsy.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramsay hunt syndrome, shingles vaccination, shingrix, tony horton, vaccines