Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-31-23, 01:13 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Review Jessica Smith Endurance Walk- AAP

So, despite Jessica killing my back and knees, you know I still got the AAP when it came out because............of course, I did.

This is a 45 minute steady state walk set outside in the sun with a backdrop of the ocean. The walk features Jessica and Debbie. I enjoyed it! I liked it way more than her 5K walk.

Pros:

Pace: This walk is very similar to her Walk and Talk series which are my favorite things on her AAP. The pace is reasonable versus her tendency to move like a bat out of hell! Consider this an extended version of her Walk and Talk. If you love those, you will probably love this!

Style: This is a true walking style workout which I love. Other people might not like her traditional walking workouts and prefer her hi/lo style. I, on the other hand, love her classic walking workouts. There was the usual moves step touches, grapevines stepping in front and behind, knee lifts, hamstring curls, side steps, toe taps, etc. but there was a lot more walking as base move which I prefer. Others might find this walk boring.

Limited standing ab work: I consider this also a pro because her wood chop and heavy ab walks just kill my back. This walk didn't feature those types of specific moves.

Debbie: I love workouts featuring Debbie. Although, it always bugs me when people say if you are a beginner watch Debbie. Yes, she modifies but she is no beginner. Just because she is older and modifying doesn't mean she isn't as fit as can be! As usual, I find the interactions between Jessica and her Mom quite endearing. Probably why I also love Gilad with his "where are you going, Mommy" comment that just turns me into a puddle of mush! In this walk, Debbie is clearly low energy and doesn't talk much. Jessica said it's because she made her get there at the crack of dawn and she couldn't finish her coffee. She said they were keeping it real. I just love that!! We have all been there! Debbie is a trooper!! haha

Body Positive comments: Definitely one of the reasons that I am a big fan of Jessica. During the walk she says things like (I'm paraphrasing): We see thin bodies on social media that look healthy but just because they look healthy doesn't mean they actually are. I would like you to focus on health and well being versus obsessing over a specific number or physique. Love that message from her and it is quite unique in the fitness world. It's one of the reasons she is my one of my favorite instructors.

Cons:

Shadows: This didn't bother me too much but I can see how this might really annoy others. You can see shadows behind Debbie and Jessica the entire time. You can also see a shadow of the camera through the whole video as well as the cameraperson who you see standing there, adjusting camera, fixing their hair, drinking their coffee/water, and chatting with people passing by. In fact, for those hoping for this walk to be on DVD, I would hesitate to suggest it based on the production quality and shadows. We probably wouldn't care but I can see the general public having a complete fit over it.

Cuing: Not her best cuing. Lots of starting the move as she says what it is and some "ready" as she starts the move. Having worked out with Denise Austin several times a week for a long time, I am completely unfazed by this! However, other people might be annoyed.

Hamstring curls: Lots of hamstring curls and knee lifts which I had to modify because of my bad knee. No biggie.

No Countdown clock: Again, this would have been nice but it doesn't bother me too much.

No Mile markers: Again, I can live with it because the vibe is different from her 5K walk. There are 3 chapters: Warm Up, Steady State, Cooldown/Mobility. The cooldown was about 3-4 minutes and featured some gentle mobility work and stretching.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 12-31-23, 01:49 PM  
Floren

Thanks for the great review Gemini 2874. I appreciate the details. Even though some of your cons are my pros!

So funny how different people like different things. I’m happy that Jessica doesn’t include a countdown clock, it just takes me out of the enjoyment of exercising (except I like them for intensity bursts). And hamstring curls feel good on my tight quads, standing ab work feels great for my core. And I’m not such a fan of the walk walk base move. (Haha I just heard Leslie's voice in my head say walk walk walk)

With everyone so different, I don’t know how instructors do it! But I also love seeing Debbie and the other positive things you mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to share about this one, now I am going to try it

And that line from Gilad is one of my favorite moments from my videos! Do you happen to remember which that is from?
Old 12-31-23, 01:54 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Floren- too funny!!!! lol Yes, it's great how we each have things we like and dislike!! And, I smiled at the Leslie reference!! When I first started with her, that drove me crazy! Now, she's one of my favorite instructors!! Go figure!!

I think the Gilad line was from Getting Fit in Jerusalem! I haven't done that one in a bit!!
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 12-31-23, 02:12 PM  
Leonana

Thanks for the review!
Old 12-31-23, 04:35 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I did about 15 minutes of it this morning. (I can only do 15 min of cardio in the morning ...). I really liked it, and was surprised. As Gemini2874 said, it's very much like her YouTube Walk & Talk. That was a nice pace for me, and I enjoyed the encouraging remarks. On the other hand, she does just walk in place quite a bit (at least in the first 15 min.)

Another "Con" I'd mention is that the audio is off a bit in places. Sounds like the microphone is off placed a teensy bit. Much of the time it's clear, but there are times when it sounds static-y. I agree with Gemini, that too would be an issue if it's released on DVD for the general public.

Another potential "Con", or not: At least the first 15 minutes is filmed at a wider angle / further distance than her studio filmings. So you don't really get a close view of Debbie.

On the other hand, another "Pro" - Jessica sounds more upbeat; I feel in her latest AAP workouts she has been more subdued. A quiet calming presence, but on this walk, she's closer to her upbeat self like in her older workouts.

Another "Pro" for me - I really liked the music.

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 01-01-24, 08:24 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

This morning I did the middle 15 minutes. (I know the purpose is an Endurance Walk, but I usually can only do 15 min in the morning, and I was eager to try out a new walk.)

I enjoyed this section. There's some nice camaraderie between Debbie and Jessica. I enjoyed the little story about Jessica wanting to be on Mousercise (??) when she was little.

(But, though they are talking to each other, the camera is too far away to see any facial expressions.)

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
Old 01-01-24, 10:49 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Thanks for the review!
You’re very welcome! Thank you for being so thoughtful to post a thank you!
Old 01-01-24, 10:52 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

FirmDancer- thank you for posting your thoughts on the walk!!! It’s always great to get other perspectives! Oh, I also thought the Mousercise comment was so cute! I think Jessica said all she needed was her headband and leg warmers!! Lol
Old 01-01-24, 05:48 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Oh, I also thought the Mousercise comment was so cute! I think Jessica said all she needed was her headband and leg warmers!! Lol
Yes! and Debbie chimed in with "wristbands". And Jessica said: Where are my wristbands??

I really enjoyed that little snippet of personal interaction. Made me smile.

Current Rotations:
Old 01-01-24, 06:05 PM  
Messe

I did the Endurance Walk today and really enjoyed it. I thought the setting was beautiful! The shadows didn't bother me (shadows = sunshine!), nor did the occasional gust of wind in Jessica's mic. The production quality is much better than Jenny Ford's Walk Across America series.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou

Tags
all access pass, debbie, jessica smith, jessica smith all access, jessica smith endur walk