Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-17, 01:07 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Training to retain muscle as you age

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ticle36816684/

Interesting study, done over 30 weeks. I'm finishing up with Eat Lift Thrive so I think I will do it again, but with 2 heavy and 1 light day like in the study.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 03:41 PM  
tamib

Thanks for this link, I've been trying to figure out how much strength training I need, just turned 57 and things definitely don't work like they used to.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 04:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Great article! Thanks Sue!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 07:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Maybe I scannd the article too quickly, but did it mention the sex of the participants in the study?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 08:05 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ticle36816684/

Interesting study, done over 30 weeks. I'm finishing up with Eat Lift Thrive so I think I will do it again, but with 2 heavy and 1 light day like in the study.
Sue - what did you think of "Eat Lift Thrive"? I saw Bret Contreras gave it a great review and his comment about her glute circuits intriqued me. But I wanted to look at the book before purchasing. B&N in Ellicott City did not have it, nor do Howard, Baltimore, Harford county library systems carry the book. I can't remember if you have "Strong Curves"? so I'm wondering how it compares to that and the New Rules books. TIA!
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 12:01 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Sue - what did you think of "Eat Lift Thrive"? I saw Bret Contreras gave it a great review and his comment about her glute circuits intriqued me. But I wanted to look at the book before purchasing. B&N in Ellicott City did not have it, nor do Howard, Baltimore, Harford county library systems carry the book. I can't remember if you have "Strong Curves"? so I'm wondering how it compares to that and the New Rules books. TIA!
-Anita
I don't have Strong Curves, but Sohee was mentored by Bret Contreras and works with Layne Norton. I feel like ELT is like Strong Curves minus Bret (tbh a lot of the things he says, turns me off). ELT contains sample programs for 2, 3 and 4 days a week - she doesn't recommend lifting 5 or more days - and they are all very glute-focused with squatting, bridging, hinging and rotational exercises in every workout. But she wants readers to design their own program, and the book has a whole chapter on program design. I have the Kindle version, and it has a handy "exercise finder" with hyperlinks to all the exercises.

I'm on the last week of the 3-day/week sample program which she says is the "sweet spot" for her. It's 12 weeks long, divided into three phases. Each workout has 7 exercises, done in straight sets, and they take me a little over an hour because I rest a full 3 minutes between sets of heavy exercises. I'm going back to supersetting to try to shave off some time.

The glute circuits (optional on off days) look killer, so I haven't done them. She has a bunch of them on her Youtube channel if you want to check them out.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 06:35 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Sue - thank you !!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 08:56 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Maybe I scannd the article too quickly, but did it mention the sex of the participants in the study?
Joni, they didn't mention it. I do think it's very relevant.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 10:26 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Good question. No. But following the links I found the study was open to all sexes.

Would also like to know if the volunteers were non-exercisers when they started, or people who exercised regularly. I could not find that info from the links I followed.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 05:25 PM  
videofit

I quickly read through. My take was that it might be muscle confusion that created the gains. Too bad they didn't separate into groups by hormone levels. If your hormones are closer to youthful levels you will have better results.

Tags
aging, muscle building, sarcopenia, senior strength training, strength training