Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-04-21, 08:34 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

My check in for Friday and Saturday (so far):

Friday:

Lively Ladies - Fun & Sweaty Cardio
Annie Pilates Physical Therapist - Sciatic Nerve Floss - I don't have scicatica, but my hips, glutes, and hamstrings are so tight.....ugh

Saturday:

Lively Ladies - 20 Min Strength and Cardio (really 30 min - w/ warm up!)
Lively Ladies - Relaxing Cool Down and stretch - Trish started excluding the cool downs from her workouts but she filmed a bunch of cool down and stretching videos to use separately.

I am really enjoying Lively Ladies. She is similar to Pahla - but talks less and I think he workouts are a touch more advanced. I really have to get out of the mindset that says these "over age xx" workouts are too easy - these have felt just right to me. Granted, I know there are people my age doing Cathe, and other advance stuff - but there is no sense comparing myself to others.

I'm so done with work.

So, they hired a consultant to do a class study - and the results of that study are that a bunch of people, including me, are facing a possible downgrade in class and grade. Many of us are infuriated and are planning to appeal, but it is so aggravating. On a happy note, my salary is not affected, as that will not be cut, but I will not get any raises probably for 10 years - and I plan to be long gone by then. I want to retire sometime between 60 and 62. I'm going to be 54. I guess the other upside to it is this class does not supervise and right now I'm overseeing the work of 3 people. What annoys me, is I could have stayed in the job I had for 18 years - instead of pursuing this - that job is the same grade/class that I'm being put into now and did a whole lot less work - plus that department has ZERO pressure to return to the office. Just aggravated about it.

Anyway, that is what I'm annoyed about.

will post more personals later!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 09:23 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Welcome to Pam!

GHUTV Power Walk 1 Gold - 33min. This was a free unlocked Gold workout that Chris sent out via email few days ago.
WH Pilates Ring: Ab & Leg Workout - 17min Today's free on youtube.
WH Arms & Ab workout - 15min. Free on youtube. This one was a real burner for the arms.

Linda, as you can see I can string several shorter workouts together and can easily work out for 45-60min or longer. I just like to have a choice to stop earlier, say after each segment if I feel like it and not have to stop in the middle of the workout. For some reason I feel compelled to finish what I start, so shorter segments work better for me - if that makes sense.

Donna, sorry to hear about your aggravation at work. Hope things work out for you in the long run. Not facing a cut to your salary and not having to supervise people is a huge plus!

Waves to Linda, Beth, Brenda, Christine and Cheri! I hope that everyone has a great weekend.
Old 09-04-21, 10:10 AM  
fanofladyvols

Dana that's exactly how I am.

Donna The consultant can't justify their employment unless they "find" things. (Like a home inspection!) In some instances, when I have dealt with consultants, they have recommended lay offs. I'd say your old department, if low stress, no pressure to return, and less busy might face that potentially in a drive for efficiency. What the people don't realize they cause when they implement suggestions such as those, is how much it breeds discontentment, reduced work ethic and efficiency. You kill the drive to work hard when there is no hope of a reward for your effort. When you recover from the results of the horrible study, perhaps the reduced stress and responsibility will help you find a way to lessen the blow of no raises. I don't blame you for being over it and upset though.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 11:22 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I string together a lot of shorter workouts too! On the Barefoot Checkin, we sometimes call that "Frankenworkout."

Yesterday I did a Standing Abs routine from Senior Shape Fitness - again, she is instructing for pretty fit seniors!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 06:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Silver&Fit - International Flexibility & Balance with Joli 9/4/21 - 36 minutes

This was a lovely barre-inspired flexibility and balance workout filmed in Mexico, on a patio overlooking the ocean. I really enjoyed this one and the balance work. I will have to revisit it as a balance practice since I often don't enjoy those types of workouts.

Donna - So sorry work is giving you fits. Consultants usually spell trouble for most everyone.

Beth - I haven't done that Senior Shape workout yet; I need to add it to my list. I always look forward to seeing what Lauren posts new each week.

Dana - Nice job!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 08:29 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone

This morning was another Lively Ladies workout:

Full Body Sweaty Cardio
Daily Stretch & Cool down

Both were good workouts. The Sweaty Cardio was a circuit of 14 exercises done twice. For some of the exercises you could hold light weights and make it a FIRM-Style 4 Limb workout.

Once again, I was surprised that it was harder than it looked upon previewing only!

The stretch was nice as well.

On the work front, I've decided to not let it get to me. I know it isn't personal as many people are in the same boat as me. Of course I will appeal it and see what happens. It if doesn't get fixed, well, I will not be doing anything extra in terms of work - as a friend of mine said when I told her "How Gov't workers are made!" - and I will just work to the class specs. This probably won't go into effect for 6 months to a year anyway and that gives me some time to look around at other options. But I'm not going to let it get me down - there are too many situations that are far worse out there...

Carol - i started off with the intention of following Jessica's calendar - I'll probably add some of her workouts in from time to time. I saw the Sweaty Stair workout but I didn't feel like being creative to come up with ways to do the workout w/out using stairs - it is just isn't a convenient set up for me.

Linda - Absolutely -in terms of the effects these things have on morale and productivity. I have always been one to go above and beyond and try to do the best work I can do not only for myself but my team - and it will be hard for me to NOT do that even though there is no reward in the workplace for doing it.

Waves, everyone!

Donna
Old 09-05-21, 09:30 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, I can relate to your work stressors. I work for the state (at a college that is part of the State University of NY system, or SUNY), and I know that there can be so much red tape and other issues to wade through.

Carol, I just checked out that workout and the setting does look beautiful!

Yesterday I took a long bike ride and than was doing a Rodney Yee practice for cycling. As I was lying over a rolled blanket (under my shoulder blades). I tried a Pilates rollup, and I realized it was SO much easier to engage my abs that way! I was able to roll up without the "hitches" that I normally have. I think this would be a great way to build strength for the rollup.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 05:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Hotel Room Workout - 20 minutes

I thought about doing the workout scheduled for yesterday, but it was an intermediate workout and I figured it could be harder than I wanted. Jessica's Hotel Room Workout was a nice, gentle beginner level workout.

Beth - Jessica often suggests putting a rolled up towel behind your back as a tool to make rollups a little easier. I've had mixed results using a towel.

Donna - Sounds like you've got the right attitude as far as the consultant goes. Not anything you can do about it.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 05:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My goal is to include some Pilates at least three times per week.
Today’s workouts:
~BellyFit Shakti Warrior: Embody & Activate
~Go Strapless in 10 Days: Day 1 - This is a Daily Om course focused on upper back, shoulders, & arms. It’s ten days, 10 minutes per day. I felt this one so I look forward to more.
~Pilates Physio: 13 min advanced core workout - I don’t think I’ll be buying a sub when my free trial ends. It’s effective but a bit too dry and not a lot of variety.
~supported seated & reclined yin yoga stretches on my own.

Linda - My hip is irritated by one of my favourite activities, walking and hiking, especially when hills are involved. So my PT has told me to back off on that for now along with weight bearing cardio in general. So I’m trying to behave and keep it low key.

Dana - I also love stringing short workouts together, gives me lots variety and options.

Donna - Sorry about your work situation, that is frustrating! I am going to check out Annie Pilates Physical Therapist. I’m on the lookout for more YT Pilates.

Carol - I need to revisit Jessica V, I’ve done a couple of her free challenges in the past.

Hi Beth!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 06:11 PM  
donnamp

Hi Pam!

I'm sorry about your need to cut back on walking and hiking for now - that stinks!

Since i am on a Lively Ladies kick and since she is from Ireland, I'm on a quest to find more Irish channels - particularly for Pilates and Yoga.

I get into weird themes in my head, LOL!

I do like Annie Pilates Physical Therapy -

Beth - the rolled towel is a nice assist -Jessica Valent and other Pilates instructors mention using it in your low back.

Hope everyone has a nice evening.

I have the day off tomorrow - so can't go wrong there.

Donna

Tags
bobandbrad