Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-21, 08:06 PM  
horsemom2

as far as texting, you can try Google voice when you are connected to WiFi.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:20 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny View Post
Sherry,

You may want to check out HSN as well. I got an LG Journey (it's sold out), but the Moto E is only $60 w/ a yr service (1500 min/1500 text/1.5 GB data). HSN has a code for new customers - HSN2021 - which is $20 off your order.

https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...xtdata/9921096

HTH,
Nanny
https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-jour...data-f/9912459
this 32 GB Journey is even better than my first 16GB Journey I still use as a tablet.
Not sure if this one will accept a sd card like mine has but may not need a sd card since larger storage.
(it is such a good deal, I just ordered one for my husband before his service ends on his current phone LOL)
Old 06-09-21, 10:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

If Sprint is good in your area, another option is Tello, a Sprint reseller. I use that for my teen daughter who mostly stays close to home. They have very flexible plans that all include unlimited texting, and you can pause a plan like if you lose your phone. Sprint phones are cheap on ebay.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 07:37 AM  
akaAnnie

I also have a Samsung Tracfone, and have for quite a few years now. I don't make a lot of calls so I don't buy many minutes, a few times a year I buy texts, which I do a lot of, for $5 per 1,000. Once a year I pay in the neighborhood of $50-$60 for the years service. I think I'm on the original 1gb of wifi, I just get on the wifi at home or work. Works great for me.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 08:53 AM  
fanofladyvols

We have been very happy with the phone prices and performance of our Motorolas.. lately the G7 power. We just buy them at best buy and take to get service elsewhere.

One thing that really stinks once you cross that smartphone bridge is having to stomach the planned obsolescence of the phone. Gone will be the days of your phone lasting a long time. Even if it's operating well, the tech shifts so your phone gets too clunky to operate.

I dread the phone hunt

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 09:03 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
I also have a Samsung Tracfone, and have for quite a few years now. I don't make a lot of calls so I don't buy many minutes, a few times a year I buy texts, which I do a lot of, for $5 per 1,000. Once a year I pay in the neighborhood of $50-$60 for the years service. I think I'm on the original 1gb of wifi, I just get on the wifi at home or work. Works great for me.
Although I am not in the market yet, I have a question. Does the 1 GB wifi mean that you can get wireless access when you are not on a network - say, if you broke down on a highway? My little ipod can get wifi access when I'm on a network, so it works for me in a lot of places (home, work, most stores), but if I'm on a highway I'm out of luck.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 11:56 AM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Although I am not in the market yet, I have a question. Does the 1 GB wifi mean that you can get wireless access when you are not on a network - say, if you broke down on a highway? My little ipod can get wifi access when I'm on a network, so it works for me in a lot of places (home, work, most stores), but if I'm on a highway I'm out of luck.
akaAnnie was referencing 1GB of "mobile data" and yes you can use it when you are out on the highway as long as you are in an area covered by your cell phone service. You can also use the data to activate a gps app on your phone to give you driving directions to find your way home or wherever you want to go.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 12:09 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I still have just about all of my original data because I am rarely away from free wifi. However, my husband ate through most of his at the supermarket enabling data instead of connecting to their internet and left his supermarket digital coupon page opened even after leaving the store. He is tech-phobic and does not even do email or texting. His phone is on 24/7 because he has trouble putting it on and off and has never charged any of his mobile phones (thank goodness for the Moto G7 Power battery). A miracle happened today though ... he actually answered his phone when I called him while he was shopping!
Old 06-10-21, 03:13 PM  
BigBadBetty

Google Fi is good provider is you don't plan to use a lot of data. They use US Cellular, Sprint and T-Mobile towers so that covers a lot of the US. You only pay for what you use. You can bring your own phone or buy one from them. I don't have them because I don't get coverage. If I lived 3 houses down, I would have coverage.

I also agree with other that Motorolas are great cheap phones. Their batteries last a long time. You won't get the performance of the higher price phone, but not everyone needs/wants that.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 09:08 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Reviving this thread because I am getting closer to making this decision sooner rather than latter. I've done some basic research into plans and understand them better now. I would like to have unlimited talk/texts, but I will almost always being using the phone in places that already have wifi, so I'm not concerned about having a huge data plan. Some of the carriers we considering so far include Spectrum (we have able/internet with them so could get a good deal), Consumer Cellular, and Mint Mobile.

Based on some of the responses here, it sounds like several people are very happy with their Moto G phones, and these seem quite affordable. But I am wondering if I would be better off going with a low-level iphone. As I mentioned upthread, right now I am using an ipod touch with wifi in lieu of a smartphone, but I actually get quite a bit of utility out of this - I have contacts, apps, music, etc. If I decided to switch to an Android phone, would I lose some features? Would anyone here make an argument that getting an iphone is worth the extra expense? Also, if DH & I both get phones, would it be problematic at all if I was on an iphone and he was on an Android?

My last question is regarding getting an "unlocked" phone versus buying the phone and the plan together. Is the process of doing the former relatively easy for first time smartphone users?

Pat, your post was especially helpful since you touched on many of the issues that we are likely to have!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, cell phone plans, iphone, mobile devices, off topic, off-topic, smart phones