Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-12-21, 11:46 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA Meta and everything else - Spring / Summer 2021

We started out as a TA/Meta thread and some have moved to other types of workouts so all welcome. We post sometimes everyday sometimes less often.

So ALL WELCOME!
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 11:50 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - yoga basics from caribbean aerobics, the took a jumping lesson, then did most of Kathy Smith Walking workout, I think it's matrix or something and most of the stretch from that.
today - essentrics stretch and 9 min qi gong.

The second dose of the vaccine has made my headache worse, a little achy, and run down but the headache part is the worst for me.

buzzer - that's a crazy amount of bricks to haul, be careful and get in some good stretches. Glad your wardrobe is working out, isn't great when you solve that type of problem!

hi ebianco!
Old 04-12-21, 01:05 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

So on Friday I got the clearance from the ortho to take my brace off for good except for when I'm exercising. Yeah!!! As for weights she told me to go ahead and try out light weights starting right away, and then I can see how it feels and work up from there. She told me not to start on pushups for another month, and then work up from there. But I told her I have the pushup handles (that keep your wrist straight) and she told me I could carefully try it out. So yeah!!

So on Friday (before my ortho) I did some gentle cardio and then Fitprime the yoga compilation for a 40 minute workout.

Saturday, after a 20 minute walking warm up on the treadmill, I decided to do High Reps with Cathe knowing that I would get a really good burn with light weights. I started with 2 and quickly realized I could go up to 4 easily, and started with a 9# barbell but finished with a 15# barbell. I think I could have gone even higher but that was more than enough starting out. I even very carefully did the pushups on my knees (not even slanted knees like a modified plank but straight up and down knees in the easiest modification possible) with the perfect pushup handles, and they were fine, and I still felt some challenge! I got a great burn and a HUGE mental boost getting back into my routine. It was so great to do the type of workout I wanted!!!

Sunday I was tempted to do another Cathe weight training workout but decided I wanted to get right back into my old routine so did a Pure Barre. First I ran/walked outside for 45 minutes, the weather was gorgeous, then I did Pure Barre Results Arms warm up through seat, then Callanetics stretching for a 100 minute workout! That's the longest I've worked out for a really long time! I was totally wiped. The Pure Barre Results Arms is a really tough workout. It always gets me for the legs portion, and the seat portion is really hard because I use a thick loop.

Today and tomorrow planned rest days! My wrist is slightly sore at times but the ortho told me I can just massage in there to work out any scar tissue. She didn't think I needed PT or to even see her again, unless I have any problems!

Eventmom Thanks for starting a new thread!

The barre amped you did sounds good!

Thank you and I did try to keep up my workouts while I was injured, but I'm sooo glad to be doing regular workouts now even if I am lifting really light for a while!

Buzzer Ah that makes sense about DH and the donkey. I was thinking it was LB that lost interest in the donkey. The 2nd degree black belt for LB sounds like a wonderful idea! That is a time commitment but so good for her, and hopefully you'll cultivate a great friendship with the other mom!

Yes, I think it's good to listen to your own body even before a doctor. Although I really liked my doctor, she was laid back and not judgy like a lot of doctors can be it seems. But still, it's good to have validation that I am in the clear to start resuming my activities!
Old 04-13-21, 12:42 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

the bar method change your body - at one point I owned pretty much all the bar methods then dumped them in my post TA purge. got this one back at some point. It's pretty easy which is fine right now. I like Burr.

ebianco - great news that you can resume normal workouts and ditch the brace except when exercising! I really liked the barre amped workout - a step up in difficulty compared to most barre work.

hi buzzer!
Old 04-14-21, 05:32 AM  
Buzzer

15 minute basic workout plus... DONE!

I think that's what the workout was called. It was the 15 minute basic Ttapp workout plus hoedowns. It's fun, and short! My body still hurt from Sunday, so I decided to do the 15 minutes then see how I felt. It kinda wiped me out still, so I stuck to that one only. Today I will push myself harder. I guess I really pushed myself on Sunday for sure!

I ended up ordering some of the other DVDs from amazon. I figured if they go out of print and I can't get them anymore, I don't want to regret it. They were only $15 (I got the warm up workouts) so not a HUGE investment. Not like the prices that were on the ttapp site before it went down!

Ttapp used to kinda annoy me, and I tried so hard at it. Now I am just kinda "well, gonna workout. It feels good" instead of "will this get me results???? How can I help it get me results???" so it doesn't annoy me as much. I am not straining or forcing anymore. I am just doing it. I gained no matter what, my chin has expanded into this nice pillow under it, and my belly won't go in no matter how well I eat (I know this because I have been eating better than I have ever in my life and it's getting bigger, not smaller). So I have to accept at this point in my life that I need to relax and do what's best, even if it doesn't give me a 30 year old body. That's hard to accept.

I spent from June until February doing Body Beast, so obviously weight lifting doesn't do me any good. I love it, but I didn't get results at all. so much for "muscle burns fat!" because I had a lot of muscle! So I am going for the TA and Ttapp philosophy.

So funny story... remember when TA was run through the ringer for talking about how when you work a muscle at it's length, the fat squeezes out to the top so that's why you appear heavier at first? I was researching some Ttapp stuff, and Teresa said the SAME THING! She said it more eloquently, but it was pretty identical. She didn't get lambasted like TA did though. Just made me laugh that two people said it, two different reactions.

Although also in my research, it was funny that Ttapp was met with just as much anger and animosity as TA. Any thread about Ttapp had those same people over and over jumping in to complain about Ttapp. Whether they had tried it, had a perception about Teresa that soured them, just watched it, or not tried it at all just decided they were more knowledgeable, it was like reading a TA thread. I got tired of reading over and over how Alta doesn't like Ttapp because of an encounter with Teresa. I kept thinking.. that experience has nothing to do with the workout. Yet every thread about Ttapp she had to tell the story like she was trying to influence people to not like the workout because she felt Teresa had dissed her. That's just one example that I can recall off the top of my head. She was TA before TA got roasted on VF!!

So anyhow, I am enjoying the workouts, I am feeling like I am working on my posture, there are muscles I didn't know I had that are working, I am working very hard on opening up my chest and shoulders and I feel like it's working. So right now, I am getting what I should from the workouts.

Eventmom: thanks for starting a new thread! I have thought about it a few times, but I admit it's easier to keep posting in the old thread. Since I usually am checking in in the morning with my first cup of coffee (and only cup), I don't want to go through too much effort . Thank you for doing it!

Ebianco: I am so happy for you that you got clearance to use your wrist and take off the brace! I have had so many sets of those pushup bars. I keep getting them, then get rid of them. I even had some with little bosu type balls at the bottom of them. Those were actually fun, I just never used them so I got rid of them. I'm glad you have kept yours so you can recover with them!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 02:17 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

gina b 50s walk, turned out horses, did 40 min essentrics barre workout.

buzzer - I was deeply into procrastination mode the morning I started our new thread. The vaccine has me feeling off but not as bad as the first does. That's funny about TA and Teresa! I hadn't noticed that. I've found that any instructor that gives me results gets bashed on VF GD - so TA and Joyce Vedral are really the only workouts that change my body. Sure, I love Margaret and have loads of other DVDs but only TA and JV made me look better. Of course, both I discovered on GD so there you go, then someone decides to hate on them and I just have to ignore it. Right now I've got 5 more days of being careful then I'll work my way back to TA and see if I can drop some of this weight that my body seems to so happy with.

hi ebianco!
Old 04-14-21, 06:35 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

I started my workout week today with Firm Zero in 10, the upper, lower, and abs chapters for a 30 minute workout (I was short on time). Even though it starts with a "z" I am counting it as part of my Alphabet Tour rotation LOL (as a number zero, I know it is arbitrary LOL). I have a couple more number workouts before moving on to A's. I may need to defer some of my A's though because I am not quite up to kettlebell use yet with my wrist (Atletica, Art of Strength). I tried out 5# weights today and that may be my capacity right now, as I feel a very slight ashiness, but I was also writing really vigorously today and I think the ache may be from that? Anyway the workout today was very good, HIIT like!

My numbers workouts that I haven't done yet for the next couple of weeks are 10 Days to a Better Body, 10 Minute Solution Get Fit Mix, and I just purchased my first Kelley Coffey Meyer DVD (after having one a long time ago, not getting into it, and selling it), 30 Minutes to Fitness Home Gym Intervals, which I'll mix in too! I admit I also picked up a couple more Cathe's that I somehow missed in my last splurge which have a total body premix. And her new Perfect 30 series the HIIT workout (and the Lift workout which has a total body premix) because it looked good!

Eventmom It will be great to work your way back up to TA! I have a couple of Bar Method workouts (maybe 2 or 3 DVDs?) and they are really good although I rarely do them. I also really like Burr!

Buzzer That is funny about TA and TTapp having the same ideas!

I am so excited too! I swear I'm sleeping better thanks to the weight training again, and my knees are happy without so much cardio! The pushup bars with boss balls at the bottom sound like a lot of fun! I usually am aware of every type of exercise tool out there, but have never heard of those LOL!
Old 04-15-21, 09:48 AM  
Buzzer

Ladybug (yesterday)... DONE!
Hit The Floor Tempo... DONE!
Broom workout (28 minutes)... DONE!

I was a little sore from ladybug yesterday, so today I decided to do floor work. I remember HTFT being hard, and decided to do that one. Why? I don't know. I was sore from yesterday and today is my "instructional" day! But, I did it. I didn't get the form 100%... far from it! But I did it to the best of my ability. It was good! I like the floor work.

It was only like 27 minutes, so I added on broom. Broom was good. I remember last time that it killed my back and shoulders, and was expecting it to this time too. She keeps the broom handle behind your back with your arms in a "w" for a reallllly long time. this time, I was getting tired and it was feeling more and more difficult, so I grabbed the remote to see if I was at least 15 minutes done (1/2 way).. nope! I was 24 minutes into it! Just 4 minutes left! So I guess I can say my traps are stronger and my shoulders are more flexible for sure.

I am definitely feeling some opening in my chest, my shoulders are always kinda sore but I feel like there is more range of motion in them. They aren't nearly as tight as they were! I can still clasp my hands behind my back and put my palms together. I cannot, not even close, "pump" my arms behind me with the palms together. I don't even think I can do it with my arms straight. So I grab a towel and do it like that. I keep trying, but I am just not there yet! Better than it was though.

I discovered that if I reallllly hold the Ttapp form to the best of my ability, I like how I look. But holding it like that is HARD. I will get there though. I figure I found it, now I need to figure out how to slowly make it my "new" look so I at least look lighter! Working on my posture. Working on my posture (I need to keep this in mind).

So still enjoying ttapp. it's not annoying me, but since I am not focusing on trying to be perfect and push everything into place so that I see "results", I think it's better. When I am anxious about my form, I think that's when I start to dislike it. I figure I did Firm Vol. 1 for like 2 years straight, every other day, I can do some ttapp for a while.

So upon analyzing ttapp, I think the reason the 15 minute workout works for people is because every muscle is contracted for the 15 minutes. Plus you get cardio. So rather than doing cardio for 30-60 minutes, plus lift each muscle group by itself... you are kinda doing a full body workout for 15 minutes, which probably is as much contraction as each muscle gets in the 30-60 minute workouts. I don't flex my quads all the time when I am lifting biceps and triceps, but with Ttapp, I am. Lots of full body contractions. Lets see what it does for me.

LB was saying she gets an angry feeling every time I tell her it's time for school. So yesterday, instead of starting with math, which is getting harder (she's in 3rd grade but already in 4th grade math), I started with reading to her, and she read to me. Then we did spelling and math. I was talking to a friend, and she said lately her daughter has been feeling like that too. We wondered if it was a phase. I am wondering if Math is stressing her out. So today we will do everything else and skip math, and see how she feels. It might just be a temporary math thing. I thought about pushing her through it, but really, at 8 do I need to teach that kind of life lesson? Or can I use grace with her and teach her to "just push through" when she's a teenager and can handle it better? So instead of burning her out, I am going to go the gentle path.

We discussed having one day of only math, and lots of it, and 4 days of reading, spelling, latin, English, history and writing. That way it's only stressful one day of the week. I love homeschooling because we can be flexible like that!

Eventmom; Cracked me up that every instructor that gets bashed are the ones you get results with!! It's true. I didn't get results with Cathe, but she is so loved. I know we couldn't be friends in real life (which you know is one of my standards) so not only does she annoy me like that, but her workouts are so tough with nothing to show for it. Ttapp, TA, Joyce.. let's see... who else? All people with a bad rap on VF but who do good work!

I did run across some threads where people HATED the Firm, HATED their customer service and refused to buy Firm workouts anymore. Which cracks me up since people now LOVE the Firm, act like it was the perfect workout and Anna was a God. Their customer service lady, who they didn't like before is now someone you can't say anything bad about. I wonder if Teresa Tapp will be remembered as a God now too? Interesting. I love reading old threads.

Ebianco: I tried to find a picture of the pushup bars with the bosus under it, but I can't find one! They were fun, because they created a LOT of instability, but I just didn't use them so I donated them. Now I think I shouldn't have since my wrists are getting achey and regular pushups bother them. So many things that in my past I was all "this won't work. It's too easy for me" are now things I am like "I need that again! I can't do this anymore!" HA! getting older sucks.

You're reasoning for the "z" workout is great! HA! I love it!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 03:53 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I adjusted my plans for today because my wrist felt slightly achy and I don't want to push it. I still don't know if it was the weights or just writing but I didn't want to risk anything. So instead of a Alphabet total body strength workout, opted for Cathe's Perfect 30, Perfect HIIT workout, the low impact workout plus the extended stretch. I really liked it! The music was fun and went by fast. So no holding weights at all in this one, and no weights tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be totally up to speed to do a Cathe strength workout on Saturday.

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer I love reading old threads too! The only person I really remember the VF community hating is TA. People were obsessed with her, either hated her or loved to hate her!

Cathe is definitely beloved. It took me a long time but I'm in love with her now too! I think her workouts have made me stronger, and made me a little slimmer with the formula of more weight training and less cardio. I can't say that's due to her specifically or just the formula, but somehow I don't mind doing a long strength routine with her now when I think even a year or two ago I would have found it horrendously boring.

I really need to pull out that TTAP you got me. The 15 minute workout! I will pull that out tomorrow!! I know what you mean about really watching your form. Even a beginner or intermediate workout can be made much harder if form is fastidious!

I definitely have changed my focus to it has to be advanced and over the top challenging a few years ago to let's take it easier now. It isn't just my fitness that's probably reduced with age, but also just my willingness/motivation to want to kill myself in a workout! I want to feel challenged and worked but not killed now.
Old 04-16-21, 12:38 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - nothing! woke up with a headache took a new migraine med, fell asleep on the couch, honestly felt crappy until around 5 I think vaccine side effects. Ended up teaching my class via zoom from home.

today - a walk from youtube, it was okay, and callentics countdown level 2 which is 40 minutes.

ebianco - sorry your wrist was achey but hopefully it's better by tomorrow. TA is hated but wow the flaming about Joyce Vedral, led by someone that had watched one of her workouts but never actually done one! A very kind VFer who answered tons of questions about Joyce left VF over the way people treated her (not Joyce, how VFs treated the VFer) it was ugly and sad. This was like the 00's.

buzzer - I may try a ttapp this weekend. Monday is one month since my treatment so I'll start back to more challenging workouts.