Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-20-21, 10:41 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Paine When his hormones kicked in, seeing his reflection in a car caused him to chase and attack vehicles.
Pat, I'm laughing. That's funny. OK, if I ever see a wild turkey, I'll be careful.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 11:26 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Monday! I was worried that today would be crazed at work (since I'm covering for our director who is out today & tomorrow), but so far it has been manageable - can I have a loud KNOCK WOOD?

I know we had some discussion about apples again recently, and I just found this list:
https://bestapples.com/varieties-information/varieties/

I can't believe some of the varieties - who knew there was a Pinata apple? I haven't been able to get my favorite SweeTango for awhile; I think Honeycrisp is my second-favorite.

Pat, sorry about your lost post! I tried that meditation with Kassandra this morning on your recommendation.

Margot I hadn't heard of a blueberry pie bar either but was willing to be a guinea pig.

The wild turkeys can get huge! I've never been so close for them to attack though.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 12:15 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I hope things at work go smoothy for you today and tomorrow since you are manning the fort.
That "Best Apples varieties" website is interesting. I hadn't heard of the Piñata apple either. I still haven't seen the SweeTango here in our markets. My 6 year old grandson's favorite apple is the Granny Smith apple. His mom's favorite apple is also the Granny Smith so he probably inherited that from his mom. I think that our tastes are genetic.
Old 09-20-21, 07:40 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Ultimate Leg Sculptor from Essentrics Body Sculpting Series with Sahra. I also walked outside for one hour this morning.

Re wild turkeys, we have a large flock that lives near the library where I work. Once in a while one of the turkeys ventures close enough to trigger the automatic door. When it slides open they throw up their wings in terror, turn tail and run!

Pat58: Sorry to hear about the disappearing post. That 500 Error is evil!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 11:25 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts, a low key day:
~The Balanced Life Pilates Refresh & Reset Challenge: Day 1
~PT exercises & pelvic drops
~15 min gentle rebounding
~yin yoga class on zoom

Pat - I am chuckling at the wild attack turkeys. And that 500 error is a PITA!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! My back was being a pest and my lower body was sore from my gym workouts anyway, so I kept it low key yesterday:

~ 20 minute beach walk
~ Kassandra 10 Minute Yoga in Bed plus chakra affirmations meditation
~ 6,000 steps for the day

Wahoo, looks like I got a post through!

Beth, that's a great list. I need to get my hands on some Autumn Glory! We get the pinata apples around here for a short period of time. They're good. My favorites are our local Macoun and MacIntosh in fall. Off-season, Fuji is my apple. I hope things are going smoothly for you at work.

Sandra that is so funny about the turkeys and the automatic door. They are such goofballs.

I'm behind after my vacation day ... gotta run, everyone have a safe and healthy day!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 11:40 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Flow and Yin with Donna Helm-Yost (Yin Yoga practice, first 35 minutes)

It will be another pretty day with a sunny 77 degrees here. I may go for a neighborhood walk later on.
Old 09-21-21, 12:59 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

It’s been a while. Time flies, though I have been reading posts. I need to get in a routine for posting.

Very recently I read an article on goals and realized I have always used the method they recommended. The idea is to make the goal non-zero. So instead of a goal of an hour of working out and possibly not doing anything if you can’t manage that for some reason, make the goal to do something, anything, no matter how little, and the plan the workouts you want to do. Maintain the habit. My plan includes four different sessions I count as workouts per day, but my goal is to do at least one of those per day. Good thing as many days lately I’ve done just one or two.

So, my daily plan is a short dog walk (old dog), my own morning yoga and hand exercises, an afternoon workout which is usually a mix of shorter things including some cardio (lately usually on my stationary bike), and a before bed yoga or stretch session and meditation.

On Sunday I got some form of everything in: Early dog walk, morning Yoga and hand exercises, 22 minutes on the bike in the afternoon to a video of a ride through a forest, and a decent stretch on the bed at bedtime. Skipped meditation as I was already mostly asleep and haven't been getting enough sleep lately.

Yesterday I did an early dog walk, 20 minutes on the bike to another section of forest trail video, though I kept getting distracted by the real birds outside the window, and a stretch plus 5-minute meditation in bed.

Today I woke up at 3:30 in the morning and didn't go back to sleep. Plus the ear I had an infection in as a toddler is plugged up (occasional recurrent problem) so my head feels pressurized and like it's filled with mud. DH walked the dog and I'm trying unsuccessfully to nap. I got out all of my various baskets of DVDs yesterday to start organizing and downsizing now that they're all in one place and they're still taking up most of the floor in my workout room. I won't finish that today so I expect the best I'll do will be a bike ride and a bedtime stretch. We'll see.

Back to chat soon.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 01:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I spoke too soon about Joni O-ing the BOSU DVD I bought. The DVD menu is horrible to navigate, so I didn't realize that I had only previewed one of the 4 routines on the DVD. I tried some of the abs one last night (filmed on the same set as Rehab Your Body at home, with the Joan Miró art prints hung the wrong way ), and although I had to modify to use with the balance trainer, I can definitely feel it in my muscles today. Also, the "Long & Lean" segment of the DVD is a yoga session on the BOSU featuring none other than Chalene Johnson - who knew? You definitely get the sense that she is pre-Beachbody, less amped up.

This is the DVD I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bosu-DVD-Co.../dp/B018RP3HGS

And here is the routine with Chalene and her on the cover:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bosu-Long-a.../dp/B004PZQZO6

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 01:28 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

In the interest of not making this so much work that I don't do it, I'll just comment on things mentioned rather than looking back to reply to people if I don't remember who I'm talking to.

Paine, I must agree that you should label your rest days as active rest. No formal workout but plenty of activity. And thanks for the reminder of why I have Donna Helms-Yost's DVD in my Amazon saved items.

I have gotten in the habit of copying my posts before I hit submit. So far I haven't been 500ed, but I'd also find it discouraging. Pat, at least you didn't end up locked out for a day or two like sometimes happens. I'd really be upset if I ran into that.

Margo, I'm going to have to follow some of your links. I think we have similar tastes. Though I just cleared out all of my Body Groove besides the newish yoga and Pilates one. If I want that kind of cardio I prefer to do actual NIA, Soul Sweat or Carol Argo. And I save YouTube workouts but never go to the trouble to do them.

I live in the foothills in California in what was an apple-growing area in the 19th century. Used to be a lot of old apple trees with forgotten or no names but most have died or fallen apart since I was a kid here. There is still one apple ranch and a hard cider maker who grows their own apples. In store-bought I like Pink Lady/Cripp's Pink. Also Cameo, which seems to have disappeared here, and Cosmic Crisp, which is new and limited. Right now it's all stored apples from last season so a bit hit or miss. I haven't seen Piñata. Honeycrisp is still expensive.

I have a Malibu Pilates chair with handles and a 20-year history of studio Pilates sessions. After the thread on leg workouts in GD veered to Pilates chairs I ordered two books of exercises for them. There are a few things I can't do any longer due to arthritis but I'm also tending more toward doing my own thing so those seemed more useful than the relatively expensive DVDs. They'll arrive tomorrow.

I grew up on a turkey ranch here. Domestic turkeys are stupid. Wild turkeys aren't, but they're also not native to California and I expect someday the state will declare them a pest to be eradicated. Since the coyotes at the back of our property seem to have moved to where they winter now that the cubs are grown I have gotten them on our land recently. Chased a dozen across the street the end of last week. Turkey herding techniques came back to me quickly.

Sandra, looks like we'll be back to hot weather for several days. And there's a smoke haze here again today. It was a nice break. We even got enough dew one morning for everything outside to smell damp.

OK, I'll break there and see if this will post. 'Hi' to everyone.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote