Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 04-21-05, 09:42 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Timely for me Too

My first bad PF flare-up is ending (I hope). In another week or two I will have my first pair of custom orthotics. I'm hoping they will fit into my favorite pair of Clark's boots, but I doubt they'll fit my Clarks navy clogs that are almost brand new. Nor do I think they'd look right. I'm looking forward to the recommendations I'll get from the pedorthist when my orthotics are ready. I so LOVE slides and the way they look with capris. I'm hoping I can find something that will support me and look good. I'm told I'll only need my orthotics if I'm going to be on my feet all day training (about once a month), and when walking any amount or doing athletic activities.

For Canadians, SoftMoc carries some good brands and has good sales now and again. Also, O My Sole for Danskos.

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 10:17 AM  
Daphne M

Merrell sandals work well for me. They also look a little more fashionable to me than some of the other styles and they're not as pricey as Birks or Naots. If you get the Activa, Road Runner Sports, Athleta, Title 9 or Terry catalogs (I get them all ) you'll see some pictures of some cute ones. You can use the VF sponsor links to go to most of those merchants, I think. Here's a link to some different styles at Activa: http://www.activasports.com/cgi-bin/...ekgcgecfeedh.0

I also was checking out these sandals in the Terry catalog just last night: http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail....t&item_no=1632

I've never tried Keen sandals however, and at $80, not sure I'm going to take a chance. Has anyone out there ever worn them? (I'm high arched, normal width, if it helps.)
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 11:34 AM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Earth shoes - for medium/narrow feet

I had a lot of trouble finding Birkenstock-like sandals for narrower feet. I ordered a pair of Earth sandals online sight-unseen and luckily they fit great and are very supportive. I had read some reviews and folks had said that the "Delight" style sandal fit narrower feet and helped their PF.

They're pricey but I got the best price at www.onlineshoes.com - make sure you go through eBates to get another 5% off.

I see that now they have some even cuter styles like "Dazzle" and "Duet." I like the styles with heel straps since they stay on my feet better. I have images of trying to keep cute mules on my feet by clinching my toes and aggravating my PF...

I wore my Earth Delights in Hawaii and they worked very well, supporting my arches & feet despite my PF. I did tape my feet daily since I'm still in a flare-up and I'm sure it looked silly but oh well...

If you haven't worn 'negative' heeled shoes it does take some getting used to, it's best to wear the sandals a little at a time so you don't aggravate your achilles. But I think any shoe that supports the foot & arches and stretches the achilles, calves & hamstrings is good for PF.

Last edited by DawnP; 04-21-05 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added onlineshoes.com info
DawnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 11:40 AM  
Francesca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33
For those who aren't familiar with the range of Birk styles available, here's a nice source: Zappos.com (Birk sandals). (I think it's the Tatami line that tends to have the cute styles).
Thatīs the name, Tatami. And some of them are adorable.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 12:34 PM  
cid

Kimberly, the yoga toes look like something I may need to buy! Thanks for the link. Can you buy those in stores?

As for shoes, I have stayed pretty much pain-free with lots of stretching, Spenco inserts in all my workout shoes, Dansko clogs (their sandals are VERY cute, I think), Born sandals (the spring ones are SOOOO cute), and the walking sandals ("Raptor", I think) from Teva. I wore the Tevas all over Mexico at least 3 different times (LOTS of walking) and was never in pain. Hate the Birks!

As for PF, I was pretty religious about wearing foot-flexing braces to bed, Ibuprofen around the clock for a couple of weeks, icing 4x a day, and stretching before getting out of bed and throughout the day when it first flared up. I prayed a lot, too . Now with the shoes and stretching, I'm good.

CinDee

ETA: I have a pair of Earth shoes (sandals), also...really like them, too.
cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 12:43 PM  
hounddog

I chose to have a hearing problem right when my podiatrist said downward facing dog and one-legged balances are BAD FOR PF!!
Too intense of a stretch?!?!?! That's what she said.
--Ann
hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 12:59 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog
I chose to have a hearing problem right when my podiatrist said downward facing dog and one-legged balances are BAD FOR PF!!
Too intense of a stretch?!?!?! That's what she said.
--Ann
Ann, I found the contrary to be true when I had my fight with PF. But I'm not professional medical person so... I still think downward dog is good for it though.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 01:01 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Ann, I found the contrary to be true when I had my fight with PF. But I'm not professional medical person so... I still think downward dog is good for it though.
I'm with Sharon, Ann. In my case, though (perhaps like LisaTV?) I simply didn't find it targeted enough. Thus I try to do calf stretches prior to, or in addition to, downward dog.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 01:33 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

I like Born. Very comfortable, very supportive. And some cute styles.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 02:05 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

Timely for me too

I was hoping to get to Birkenstocks in the next week or two to pick up a pair of non-goat-milking sandals. I love the goat-milkers I have, except they are ugly.

But, I really like the Merrel sandals. From your link, Daphne, only one sandal states that it has a molded footbed to support the foot. Do they all have that and just not say it?

Andrea

Tags
plantar fasciitis, shoes