Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-21, 08:36 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Yeah, I think she had the first 10 from a boxed set. She has given me the first three so far and is going to send me the rest now that she knows I like them and will read them. I looked on Amazon yesterday and it looks like there will be at least 13 books in the series.

Donna
Yes I think you're right. She also has other books that don't involve Ruth Galloway. I have a couple of those but haven't tried them yet. Enjoying Ruth Galloway too much.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 09:00 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I enjoy learning things from my fiction reading too! I try to space out the heavy reads with lighter fare.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 10:19 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Just finished You by Caroline Kepnes and while it's a page turner, it's very disturbing, about a dangerously obsessive stalker told from his point of view, in the second person as if he is speaking directly to the target of his obsession. Kind of a cautionary tale too because of how easily he is able to find out so much information via social media.

As a kind of palate cleanser when that got too disturbing and I had to put it down for a bit, I also read The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, coincidentally also a "unreliable narrator" novel. The writing is outstanding, but the story is quite sad. I never did see the movie, but have been rewatching Downton Abbey and kept picturing Carson.

Poking through my TBR to choose the next read, but it will definitely be lighter

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 10:34 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
As a kind of palate cleanser when that got too disturbing and I had to put it down for a bit, I also read The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, coincidentally also a "unreliable narrator" novel. The writing is outstanding, but the story is quite sad. I never did see the movie, but have been rewatching Downton Abbey and kept picturing Carson.
I have only seen glimpses of that movie; I remember my mom telling me how sad it was. Kind of reminds of The Age of Innocence, another sad "road not taken" story.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 05:41 AM  
Carol K

I never read Remains of the Day, but I did see the movie with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. It was sad, but I didn't feel like it was hopeless at the end.
Old 05-20-21, 06:23 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
I also read The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, coincidentally also a "unreliable narrator" novel. The writing is outstanding, but the story is quite sad. I never did see the movie
I read and liked The Remains of the Day a lot. I didn't even know there was a movie (I don't watch movies).

I'm almost done with The Paris Library. This is a book I wish I never started because I don't like it, but it's hard for me to stop reading a book once I've gotten to a certain point in the book. Reviews for this book are great, so it must be me. It's almost painful for me to read because I dislike it so much. Plus I'm cranky so that's making it worse.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 05:46 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading Fifty Words for Rain, the first book by Asha Lemmie. It's a really good book and the story is really different. I'm also reading The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Fiona Davis. It's pretty good although it's more typical these days with a story of two women during different time periods and the secrets that are revealed in a family.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 05:49 PM  
Carol K

I finished A Woman's Courage. Very satisfying conclusion. Anyone who watched the Home Fires series should read all three novels that follow. I am now reading Elizabeth Is Missing. There was a movie adaptation on Masterpiece earlier this year, which I enjoyed, but I felt like there were things left out. I'm hoping the book will fill in the blanks.
Old 05-24-21, 08:17 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Just finished You by Caroline Kepnes and while it's a page turner, it's very disturbing, about a dangerously obsessive stalker told from his point of view, in the second person as if he is speaking directly to the target of his obsession. Kind of a cautionary tale too because of how easily he is able to find out so much information via social media.

Poking through my TBR to choose the next read, but it will definitely be lighter
I listened to the Audio version of "You" and there's also a Netflix series by the same title. There's currently two seasons (season two is the second book, which I'm still listening to before I watch it).

I agree, it's quite disturbing to see how he gathers all this info about Beck just through her social media postings!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 08:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Kate, I added You to my reading list. I see it's the first of a series. Sometimes I enjoy a good disturbing read, thanks!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading