Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-20, 11:26 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Local restaurants only have take out and delivery now. I would be leery about any food prepared by or delivered by some kid that just got back from Spring Break partying!

Kids will be kids and they feel invulnerable.

We rarely eat out and I feel badly not supporting local businesses,but we are not buying from any restaurants now.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 11:56 AM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
We rarely eat out and I feel badly not supporting local businesses,but we are not buying from any restaurants now.
Hubby and I were just saying this. I feel bad, but you just don't know who is preparing the food and what precautions were taken.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 12:10 PM  
Leonana

I'm in Tempe, east of Phoenix. Our city closed bars, restaurants, etc., with takeout only. As did Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff and Sedona. However, only schools are closed state wide. However, even in cities with no closings, restaurants have voluntarily switched to takeout only.

My local Trader Joe's is now limiting to two of each food item per person, and that has helped a lot. If I go when it opens at 9:00 a.m., I can get most of what I need. Still can't find any toilet paper, paper towels, hand soap, hand sanitizer, pasta, rice or flour, at any of the stores I have visited lately. I did find some pasta at a Safeway last Sunday and some kleenex at Walgreens.

A week ago Wednesday, I got one roll of tp from Target. Fortunately, I had just bought a package from Costco before all this happened. I have read that some Costcos are refusing to give refunds for the tp and other hoarded items. Good for them!

I was thinking Papa Murphys Pizza might be safe. You take it home and cook it for 425 degrees. Although, I suppose the saran wrap around it could be contaminated.

I read an article that just said that the high blood pressure med, Losartan, might work against the virus. I take the generic version for my high bp. Would be great if it's true, but seems preliminary at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
When I got home my aunt called me to say she needed something. When I asked what she needed said deluxe dark chocolate covered almonds. I told her I would add it to my list and the next time I go I would pick it up. She said that she really needed them and asked when would I be going. I told her it won’t be today. She said she really needed them. I politely told her we are in the middle of a pandemic and that chocolate covered almonds are a want not a need and I would get them when I could, she said she was going to call my sister. I do feel sorry for the elderly that are normally independent. My aunts are used to going out and getting their own things and now we tell them they CANNOT go out and they need to depend on us.
I found some dark chocolate almonds at Trader Joe's on Wednesday, and boy did it perk me up! Even though I didn't get most things on my list, I was still happy. I can relate to her dilemma, lol. But you are right, it's a need not a want, and she can wait.
Old 03-21-20, 12:27 PM  
wendug

There is a popular subreddit called "showerthoughts" where people post about things they think about, well, while in the shower, and I think this would fall in that category.

When it comes to all the hoarding, could it be because of the popularity of zombie films and shows? In these shows, things always start out innocently with some virus hitting and people not believing things will get that bad. Then, BAM, the virus gets out of hand, craziness ensues, and there are zombies everywhere. Luckily, we don't have the zombies, but you could compare the coronavirus situation as the beginning of any of these zombie shows. People have been watching these shows for years and they always revolve around people risking their lives because they have to go get supplies. (But curiously it is never about needing toilet paper on these shows.)
Old 03-21-20, 12:40 PM  
KardioKel

Just regarding the chocolate-covered almonds.... I would highly recommend Nuts.com, which is an awesome site to order all kinds of snacks. They have super-fast delivery too (which I assume is still true now).

As a bonus, they are donating to "Feeding America" with each order.

(FYI - I don't have a direct connection but I've ordered from them many times. :-) )
Kel
KardioKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 01:21 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KardioKel View Post
Just regarding the chocolate-covered almonds.... I would highly recommend Nuts.com, which is an awesome site to order all kinds of snacks. They have super-fast delivery too (which I assume is still true now).

As a bonus, they are donating to "Feeding America" with each order.

(FYI - I don't have a direct connection but I've ordered from them many times. :-) )
Kel
I’ll definitely check that out. Thank you.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 01:41 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I’m going through Cava withdrawal.

Now the question is whether to keep my monthly cut/color appointment

Massage therapist closed the office until 1 April but I suspect it’ll be longer than that
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 01:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I’m going through Cava withdrawal.

Now the question is whether to keep my monthly cut/color appointment

Massage therapist closed the office until 1 April but I suspect it’ll be longer than that
All the salons in NJ are closed so that decision was made for me.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 01:52 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
There is a popular subreddit called "showerthoughts" where people post about things they think about, well, while in the shower, and I think this would fall in that category.

When it comes to all the hoarding, could it be because of the popularity of zombie films and shows? In these shows, things always start out innocently with some virus hitting and people not believing things will get that bad. Then, BAM, the virus gets out of hand, craziness ensues, and there are zombies everywhere. Luckily, we don't have the zombies, but you could compare the coronavirus situation as the beginning of any of these zombie shows. People have been watching these shows for years and they always revolve around people risking their lives because they have to go get supplies. (But curiously it is never about needing toilet paper on these shows.)
A year or two ago I read a fiction book that was about a family and a bird flu pandemic and what happens to them and their neighborhood. It's not the kind of thing I would normally buy, so I think it was probably a free Kindle First selection. Anyway, flash forward to 2020 and news stories start coming out about the coronavirus and I immediately recalled that book and the things that happened in it. So I could see where people who watch zombie films and shows could be thinking along those lines.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 04:41 PM  
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Local restaurants only have take out and delivery now. I would be leery about any food prepared by or delivered by some kid that just got back from Spring Break partying!

Kids will be kids and they feel invulnerable.
This is exactly why I told my parents that we aren’t ordering takeout, because we all have compromised immune systems. I have been cooking and baking since I was a child, I have been making homemade pizza for years. It’s the things I don’t normally make that we takeout. When I cook, I do batch cooking and double or triple a recipe to have enough on hand when I can’t or don’t want to cook.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing