VF Supporter

Interesting statistics
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opini..._medium=social
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 07:56 AM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Can someone summarize? I can't get it to load correctly but what I can see looks intriguing. Thanks!
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 08:10 AM  
donnamp

Ok just read it quickly. Here are some notes:

Testing doesn't improve outcomes b/c there is no treatment for the virus at this point, so catching it 'early' doesn't mean you will have a better outcome. But, testing is helpful in potentially reducing the spread of the disease and gaining a better understanding of the populations that may be at risk for a worse outcome

South Korea tested more people for the virus - so they captured a larger pool of infected people - many of whom had mild cases.

The population in Italy and South Korea differ greatly with South Korea having a much younger population and Italy having an older population. South Korea had better outcomes b/c the persons with the virus were younger, women and non-smokers, all of whom have better outcomes.

That is the gist of it...Italy has an older population and more smokers.

Women are more likely to survive than men and non-smokers do better than smokers. young people do better than older people.

*sigh*

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 08:23 AM  
lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
Can someone summarize? I can't get it to load correctly but what I can see looks intriguing. Thanks!
_____
YADeb
"South Korea has an outbreak among youngish, non-smoking women, whereas Italy's disease is occurring among the old and the very old, many of whom are smokers." - Survival rate: young > old, women > men.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 08:55 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

If you met me

If you knew me, you'd think/swear I am an Extrovert.

I am outgoing, I talk a lot, I try to make people feel comfortable in a social setting. I'm the one at the party who goes over and makes small talk to people who look uncomfortable so they feel like they are not alone. On long bike rides, I'm the one who helps the end of the pack so they KNOW they can do it. I support them. I cheer them on. I sing. I ring my bell.

But, like the above poster, I am so content and so happy to be home and working out at home. By the time I get home from work, I am so "peopled out" that I am fine to just be here in silence. No tv, no radio. Just silence. and I have no desire to go out. Whatsoever. I was a SAHM for years and LOVED it. (one car family also) .... soooooooo

Is there such a thing as an introverted extrovert?
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 09:18 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
Is there such a thing as an introverted extrovert?
Cleda
I consider myself a sometimes friendly introvert. Have you read The Introvert Advantage? Really good and easy read. It explains things from the social and biological standpoints and helped me to understand and explain what was going on.
Old 03-18-20, 09:45 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I just want to say, the borders may have been closed between the U.S. and Canada, but nothing can place a border between U.S. and Canadian VF'ers.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 10:31 AM  
LAC

Quote:
That is the gist of it...Italy has an older population and more smokers.

Women are more likely to survive than men and non-smokers do better than smokers. young people do better than older people.
With regard to Italy having an older population, aren't baby boomers still the most populous generation in US? I think I read that millenials weren't predicted to surpass boomers until 2030. I don't know what the smoking statistics are in the US vs Italy. I guess I don't see as many cigarette smokers out in public as I used to, but then there are all the people who are in to vaping now.

ETA: My comments aren't directed at any particular person - I know people were just summarizing what a report said. i'm just mulling over how the US compares to other populations.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 08:52 AM  
wendug

Well I did finally find some toilet paper on my shopping trip this morning. I was able to get 6 rolls- wooo! They were limiting one per customer but it still was flying off the shelf. Also, it is impossible to bargain shop right now. I got most of what I needed but still spent easily double what I normally do when shopping. Want sale items....nope, all gone. Gotta buy top shelf non-sale items at ridiculous prices. And they still didn't have fresh chicken. I did buy frozen chicken breasts, but it has been years since I've bought those. I will say that everyone was calm and pleasant at the store, so that was a plus!
Old 03-19-20, 09:27 AM  
laurajhawk

I shopped yesterday and couldn't even pay attention to prices - que sera, sera - but I figure it's offset by not eating out, not buying gas, etc.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing