Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-20, 08:06 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Bandages in the fingertips can stop you. You need a good supply be because you’ll have to remove the bandage with every hand- wash. Another one is to cut off tips of tight nitrile gloves to make fingertip covers, but don’t be tempted to leave them on when you wash.
That's an interesting idea. I have some Flent fingertip covers that would work. Thanks!

FYI, the word we're getting is that the apparent shortage of all these products Is primarily a delivery issue. It apparently caught everyone off guard that the demand was so high so suddenly. Someone started it and all us lemmings, and I include myself here, followed. I know we got hand sanitizer and antiseptic wipes on today's truck.
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 08:44 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I have become sickened, not by the corona virus, but the media and the over dramatization of it all. Ridiculous! Just a way to tank the economy. I will continue to shop, eat out and try to enjoy life. My God, they act as if people are dying on the streets.

When I went to get my mom at the assisted living place yesterday, I had to fill out a form if I was showing signs. I ask why they don't do this every year? Every Fall, there should be a form for family members to fill out for any colds or flus. I will not listen to any news until this is over. And, it will end. This is so political and unnecessary.

I need to pick up some things for dinner tonight. We'll see if the shelves are bare.
I understand there is some hysteria in the news and that the hoarding is an overreaction. However this is a serious outbreak -just look at the dire situation in Italy. Social distancing is a must IMO.
I too will try to continue in my life as much as is prudent going out and getting the necessities done. But I am avoiding crowds.

Regarding the form at the nursing home, every flu season my mother's home asks us to stay away if we have flu symptoms. They don't make us sign a form but honestly why is your mom's place letting anyone in who has symptoms? My mother's place is currently closed to visitors as per CDC recommendations.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 09:00 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

DDs university cancelled in-person classes for the rest of the semester. Previously it was only until April 6. Online classes start next week.
We have to get her stuff at some point but the school is staggering move out dates so everyone is not moving out on the same day.

We went to see Chicago on Broadway last weekend. Now Broadway is completely shut down.
This sounds so drastic but really flattening the curve is critical.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 10:55 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh my goodness. I went to BJ's yesterday in the hopes of finding Clorox wipes and paper towels. It was beyond a zoo. The central aisles were loaded with whatever bottled water they had. There wasn't one sheet of toilet paper, towels or tissues. All the canned soup was gone and the canned veg were ransacked. I haven't seen it that crowded on Christmas Eve. They were even out of rubbing alcohol. Not that I was shopping for that, but I noticed the bare shelf.

We have plenty of TP anyway, but I wanted paper towels as a substitute to make my own surface wipes. Fortunately the organic co-op still had a few rolls of fancy PTs. I stocked up on produce and Sambucol but they had no wipes or hand sanitizer, nor any aloe for making your own.

The Big Y supermarket was pure insanity, though much friendlier than the mob at BJ's. Empty shelves everywhere except for condiments. No water or paper products, no potatoes, bread, meat case was empty except for sausages. There were people wearing masks. I confess, when I heard a deep bronchial cough I panicked.

Our governor has cancelled all events where more than 200 people will gather and the yoga studio cancelled a workshop I planned to attend tomorrow.

I even tried ordering wipes on Amazon and walmart.com but they're out of stock of everything. A child from a local school has tested positive so I think I'm going to skip the gym where I intended to go this afternoon.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:04 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Oh my goodness. I went to BJ's yesterday in the hopes of finding Clorox wipes and paper towels. It was beyond a zoo. The central aisles were loaded with whatever bottled water they had. There wasn't one sheet of toilet paper, towels or tissues. All the canned soup was gone and the canned veg were ransacked. I haven't seen it that crowded on Christmas Eve. They were even out of rubbing alcohol. Not that I was shopping for that, but I noticed the bare shelf.

We have plenty of TP anyway, but I wanted paper towels as a substitute to make my own surface wipes. Fortunately the organic co-op still had a few rolls of fancy PTs. I stocked up on produce and Sambucol but they had no wipes or hand sanitizer, nor any aloe for making your own.

The Big Y supermarket was pure insanity, though much friendlier than the mob at BJ's. Empty shelves everywhere except for condiments. No water or paper products, no potatoes, bread, meat case was empty except for sausages. There were people wearing masks. I confess, when I heard a deep bronchial cough I panicked.

Our governor has cancelled all events where more than 200 people will gather and the yoga studio cancelled a workshop I planned to attend tomorrow.

I even tried ordering wipes on Amazon and walmart.com but they're out of stock of everything. A child from a local school has tested positive so I think I'm going to skip the gym where I intended to go this afternoon.
I think this craziness is everywhere. People were actually running with their carts in Sam’s Club to get water. Most stores here are sold out of everything you named including meat. Hoping all the precautions slow this virus way down. I wasn’t nervous until I realized I couldn’t find toilet paper anywhere. And I just wanted to buy it for the week. Not hoard it.

I’ve also stopped going to the gym. Thank goodness for Cathe!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:05 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:

I went to two supermarkets this morning and could not get much of anything. My elderly mother gave me a list and she needed toilet paper. I couldn’t get any. Luckily my sister is in Vermont, picking my niece up from college after her classes were cancelled so she is going to try to get some there. I think she will have better luck there.

On a funny note. I checked for toilet paper on Amazon and the only toilet paper left was one with a picture of Hillary Clinton on each sheet and another with people having sex on each sheet. WTH...who even knew such things existed. I could not get either for my mom. I think the world has gone mad.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Tracy - OMG that is hilarious about the TP.

Just a hint - if you have a health food store in your town, they may still have the outrageously expensive Seventh Generation TP. The unbleached especially is extra expensive but it's better than using your hand.

Hopefully all the folks at the Clorox and Scott's factories are getting overtime. Those that can work, anyway.

The hysteria is making it hard to keep a stiff upper lip. My husband gets overly excited by Y2K and Mayan Calendar hype things and he keeps predicting factories shutting down, trucks not being able to get things through, the government collapsing - I'm like STOP IT!!! It will be a couple of weeks and we'll be back to normal, or almost something like normal.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:25 AM  
bubbles76

I have to say, in my part of NJ things were very polite. Tense, but polite. I was able to pick up paper towels and kleenex, but there was no TP or hand sanitizer to be found. Not that I was looking for that, but I definitely noticed. I'm heading out today for just produce and some staples we ran out of.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:33 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I have to say, in my part of NJ things were very polite. Tense, but polite. I was able to pick up paper towels and kleenex, but there was no TP or hand sanitizer to be found. Not that I was looking for that, but I definitely noticed. I'm heading out today for just produce and some staples we ran out of.
If you have a Shop Rite near you, they seem to restock frequently. I found Lysol spray cleaner with bleach there on Thursday. That is something I use regularly because we had both showers done by Bathfitter and you can only use specific cleaners on them. It was not panic buying.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 11:33 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Tracy - OMG that is hilarious about the TP.

Just a hint - if you have a health food store in your town, they may still have the outrageously expensive Seventh Generation TP. The unbleached especially is extra expensive but it's better than using your hand.

Hopefully all the folks at the Clorox and Scott's factories are getting overtime. Those that can work, anyway.

The hysteria is making it hard to keep a stiff upper lip. My husband gets overly excited by Y2K and Mayan Calendar hype things and he keeps predicting factories shutting down, trucks not being able to get things through, the government collapsing - I'm like STOP IT!!! It will be a couple of weeks and we'll be back to normal, or almost something like normal.
Thanks for the suggestion Pat.

I’m sitting here alone and literally laughing to myself about the conversation my husband and I just had. I checked our toilet paper supply and we have five rolls. So I told him I was going to give one to my mom. He said no. I’m like what’s a matter with you she’s 80 years old. Then he started laughing and said he was kidding and I could give her a roll.

PS My sister saved the day. She was able to get toilet paper and other supplies in Vermont. She’s on her way home to Boston...whoooooohooooo!!

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing