Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-20, 02:54 PM  
yoga1566

Balanced Body reformers - IQ vs Allegro 2, opinions please!

Hi guys,

I'm going to get a reformer for home use and will probably stick to one from Balanced Body. I'm in love with the looks and features of the Allegro 2, but the telescoping frame and easy storage of the IQ reformer make a lot more sense for my space. If I went with the Allegro 2, I would need to store it on end when not in use.

My main concern with the IQ reformer is that it seems as though a lot of them are resold saying they were "barely used", so I wonder if the folding feature is a barrier to use over time? I'm hoping to use the reformer 4 times a week. I'm also not sure how comfortable I will be using a reformer that sits directly on the floor. My only concern with the Allegro 2 is how imposing it may look when stood on it's end in the corner of my partner's man cave (he's very kindly letting me encroach on his space )

I would appreciate any insight or advice! Has anyone owned or used either reformer? I found an old thread from someone who was about to buy the IQ, but I'm not sure if they ever did.
yoga1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 01:27 PM  
yoga1566

Okay, I did a ton of research and found a few (very scattered!) reviews for the IQ and they seem brief, but mainly good. I also did some measuring here at home and think the IQ is definitely the way to go. Does anyone here have personal experience with this model of reformer or any other on-the-floor reformer? That's still my main sticking point with this one, I'm not sure how it will be working on a reformer that sits directly on the floor.
Old 01-29-20, 01:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I used both when I was in physical therapy for my back. My takeaways are:

* I got a great workout on each one - neither was better than the other once you're on the carriage

* You're better off finding a designated spot for the Allegro and leaving it there while the IQ is easier to move. That said, it's still a 40 pound, cumbersome lift to put it away and lower to get it on the floor.

* The Allegro benefits were easy on and off and a little bit easier to use with the box, though I used the box on both. There were some stretching exercises keeping one foot on the floor and pushing the carriage with the other foot that were easier on the Allegro, but she gave me a workaround on the IQ. (They were stretches I hated if that's any help.)

* A benefit of the IQ was for the standing splits. I felt safer being close to the ground.

Enjoy your reformer! I want the IQ so bad! The Pilates reformer was the most effective part of my PT. I would get the IQ if I had the space because I don't have bad knees and am used to getting up and down from the floor every day anyway, so that doesn't bother me.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 04:27 PM  
yoga1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I used both when I was in physical therapy for my back. My takeaways are:

* I got a great workout on each one - neither was better than the other once you're on the carriage

* You're better off finding a designated spot for the Allegro and leaving it there while the IQ is easier to move. That said, it's still a 40 pound, cumbersome lift to put it away and lower to get it on the floor.

* The Allegro benefits were easy on and off and a little bit easier to use with the box, though I used the box on both. There were some stretching exercises keeping one foot on the floor and pushing the carriage with the other foot that were easier on the Allegro, but she gave me a workaround on the IQ. (They were stretches I hated if that's any help.)

* A benefit of the IQ was for the standing splits. I felt safer being close to the ground.

Enjoy your reformer! I want the IQ so bad! The Pilates reformer was the most effective part of my PT. I would get the IQ if I had the space because I don't have bad knees and am used to getting up and down from the floor every day anyway, so that doesn't bother me.
Thank you! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for It sounds like I can figure out a workaround for most exercises that might be tricky, and I'm down and back up off the floor everyday with my Ballet Beautiful workouts, so I know I'll be okay for that with the reformer. Now I can't wait to order it!
Old 01-31-20, 09:47 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Please report when it arrives!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 12:07 PM  
Lynleigh

I'm a pilates instructor at a studio that uses the Allegro 2! It is an amazing piece of equipment. With that being said, when I was in the market for purchasing a reformer, I ended up with a used Allegro 1 with tower (off of Craigslist).

You cannot go wrong with Balanced Body equipment. They are extremely well made and with personal use can certainly last a lifetime. Because of that, I would consider what about the reformer are "must haves" now and how your practice will grow in the future. Will the model you choose have the capability to "grow with you"?

For me, the major drawback of the IQ is that it's on the floor and I don't believe there is an option to purchase legs. Getting on/off the reformer while on the floor is a real drag for me and as I age, it's only going to get worse. Additionally, the reformer being on the floor will severely restrict the number of exercises you can do.

Hopefully this gives you some helpful information!
Lynleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 04:11 PM  
yoga1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynleigh View Post
I'm a pilates instructor at a studio that uses the Allegro 2! It is an amazing piece of equipment. With that being said, when I was in the market for purchasing a reformer, I ended up with a used Allegro 1 with tower (off of Craigslist).

You cannot go wrong with Balanced Body equipment. They are extremely well made and with personal use can certainly last a lifetime. Because of that, I would consider what about the reformer are "must haves" now and how your practice will grow in the future. Will the model you choose have the capability to "grow with you"?

For me, the major drawback of the IQ is that it's on the floor and I don't believe there is an option to purchase legs. Getting on/off the reformer while on the floor is a real drag for me and as I age, it's only going to get worse. Additionally, the reformer being on the floor will severely restrict the number of exercises you can do.

Hopefully this gives you some helpful information!
Wow, thanks for that insight! I agree, the IQ being on the floor, without the option to add legs, is a major drawback. It really is the one thing that was making me consider other reformers. I wonder if I could build my own folding platform for it? I might make that a little DIY experiment for myself if I feel it's needed once I have a chance to work on the IQ. I'm mostly familiar with classical pilates and I can only think of a few exercises in the beginner/intermediate repertoire that would be a problem on this reformer. But I'm a little worried that you think I would be severely restricted in the exercises I could do on the IQ, so maybe there are exercises I'm forgetting about? Maybe I'll watch a couple of workouts later this weekend to get a sense of the potential issue. I would prefer to get an Allegro or Allegro 2 but I think the IQ is probably the best option for my home as far as space is concerned (for now, anyway). I'll probably take classes and private sessions at a studio periodically to get on the other equipment.

Btw, can you believe - someone sold an Allegro 2 on Craigslist near me a couple of weeks ago for $750!?!? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the post. I had let a couple of days go by without checking the site and saw the listing ONE DAY after it was posted. Of course, multiple people had already contacted the seller and were ahead of me "in line" to buy it. Apparently there wasn't anything wrong with it either, it was just a wealthy woman who wanted it out of her home gym and didn't care how much it sold for.
Old 02-01-20, 04:48 PM  
Lynleigh

I don’t want to discourage you from the IQ. Sounds like you have thoughtfully researched the options while keeping in mind your priorities. These reformers are quite an investment and I’d hate for you to be disappointed in your purchase.

Certainly a DIY stand could work. I just worry about the stability of the reformer on the stand since it’s such a heavy piece of equipment. Sounds like space is a primary concern as well so you’d have to figure out how best to store the stand etc.

I do quite a bit of standing work alongside the reformer that requires it to be elevated. Eve’s lunge is probably one you’re familiar with since you enjoy classical pilates. Sounds like a good plan to watch some other pilates workouts to familiarize yourself with the exercises you can/can’t do on the IQ. Taking classes at a local studio is always a terrific option and you can always inquire about how to modify exercises for the IQ.

I hope I have given you some encouragement. No doubt you can perform tons of excellent work on the IQ and it very well may be your new best friend. I know how much I love my allegro 1 despite there always being “something better”.

Enjoy!
Lynleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:33 AM  
VainJane

It's most likely not the answer you want to hear, but nothing compares to a workout on a classical Reformer made by Gratz or Pilates Designs By Basil. I had worked out on BB and Stott equipment for a very long time, but after trying classical equipment five years ago, I will never use non-classical equipment again.

You can't stand a classical Reformer on its end when not using it, but it has a smaller footprint than BB reformers. They are very pricy to order new, but you can often find gently used ones for a good price on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. If there's a way to re-arrange the man-cave to permanently make room for one, I highly recommend it.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 08:15 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynleigh View Post
Additionally, the reformer being on the floor will severely restrict the number of exercises you can do.
Lynleigh says in another post that she does "quite a bit of standing work alongside the reformer that requires it to be elevated" but actually, in the classical Pilates repertoire I can think of only one exercise that requires an elevated platform: the Semi-Circle, where you dip down into the well. Eve's Lunge is not part of the Classical Repertoire and is Eve Gentry's modification/variation of one of the exercises of the Splits Series. One could do a classical front split with the front leg on the footbar or a Russian Split in which one faces the rear with the front foot on the head pad and the back leg on the footbar. (And I should think you can also modify the front split by keeping one's front foot on the foot rest instead of the footbar.) Further, if one has poor balance a pole could be used.

All arm exercises are/can be done on the box so that there is room to extend the arm down.

I've had the relatively inexpensive AeroPilates Performer, Anniversary edition, without an elevated platform for over 10 years and have been very happy with it. I leave it open and being on the floor it helps keep the room looking "airy".

Tags
balanced body, pilates reformer, reformer, tim anderson