Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-17, 08:14 AM  
rvagal

Shortening Workouts

Do you shorten workouts sometimes? How do you decide when to fast-forward? Do you read the VF review of the workout and plan ahead, or just wing it?

I have always hated not to finish a workout in its entirety, but alas, I have exercise intolerance and this has limited my repertoire to those workouts that already shorter. I finally had a lightbulb moment that I could just say, you know, I feel like I can do 40 minutes, take my 55 minute workout, and fast-forward through some parts. Kind of fun to know that no workouts are off limits to me now.

But I had a little difficulty yesterday doing this. I wanted to cut off about 15 minutes but because I didn't plan ahead to make sure I hit every muscle group, I only got to cut off about 5.

I love the workouts that have premixes, but my favorites are Firm and FitPrime, and unfortunately those don't (except some of the pink Firms, but I really prefer to use my Fanny Lifter).
Old 10-18-17, 08:45 AM  
tiletha444

I shorten my workouts if time is an issue OR if I just simply don't like a particular move. Like you, it used to bother me to skip segments or do a premix, but I had an "ah-ha" moment.

Now that I exercise in the morning before work, I do not have a choice but to limit my exercise time. So, that means I always have to plan out my week. There are SO many combinations. It really depends on what you like.

If it's cardio that doesn't fit into my time frame, I simply skip the parts that I do not like or I do a premix. For strength training, it really depends on what type of split I'm doing for the week. Right now, I'm doing (Mon) Cathe's Fit Tower Total body but I skip the triceps exercises. Tues, I do the first 30 minutes of ICE Rock'm Sock'm and then the triceps muscle meltdown. Wed, Cathe S&S Total Body Giant Sets - lower body only. Doing lower body only allows me to do S&S Ramped Up Upper Body on Thurs. And Friday is fun cardio day.

I would start by planning out your week. The more you mix & match, the better you'll get at figuring out what you want to shorten, skip, etc.

Hope that helps!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 09:26 AM  
marki64

I often shorten longer workouts. I don't believe I have ever done a Jari workout with out skipping to the next exercise. Her reps are endless. My muscles are wiped out after gazillion reps. Same with her cardio bursts on one of her Hardcore 1000 workouts. She does way to long of cardio drills for me. Also, older step workouts that have longer repeated combos, I skip to the next combo. I turn a 55-60 min workout into 40-45 minutes often. Unfortunately, sometimes it's cutting out the core segments. I shouldn't do that!

During the week I am done in 45 min. (sometimes less). I find that more dvds today, are designed for quicker workouts and shorter pre mixes compared to 10 years ago when you were lucky to get a good workout in under an hour. I believe most of Cathe's pre mixes on her older dvds are over an hour, which is why I rarely ever did them. I like that she is shortening her workouts these days.

I haven't found that it has affected my strength or fitness at all. In fact, with shorter workouts I tend to workout more often now. I also incorporate more walking.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 12:44 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

If I know or suspect I'll need to shorten a workout, I look at premixes, the chapter list, or if neither of those exists, will fast-forward through the workout to see how I can shorten it. I am the queen of Frankenworkouts lately. I may do an entire 30 minute upper body workout, then a core workout from some other disc/instructor, and the glute segment from a third disc.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 01:08 PM  
rvagal

"Frankenworkouts" . . . I like it!
Old 10-18-17, 03:09 PM  
tiletha444

Frankenworkouts! LOL!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 03:15 PM  
dmlarue1

I just started doing this too. I used to have to finish all the workout. I had just started shine dance and I find I can do 20-30 minutes but then I start clock watching. I now give myself permission to end workouts, or stop them halfway and pick them up later or just skip a certain part I don't like or doesn't work for my body. As long as you are making sure you are balancing muscle groups I don't see that it would matter
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 03:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I just cut off when I need to leave.

Leslie Sansone said something revelatory. your muscles don't know how to count.

and I avoid being concerned about doing a partial segment. I just go with it and accept that I finished my workout for the day. i'll even add in more walking/movement during the day to stay active.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 03:31 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I do it constantly. I have a very low tolerance for planks and often skip over much of those segments; I generally exercise for 40-45 minutes a day except for longer walks. It bothers me not a bit!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 05:17 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I will often skip ab work, or if there is an exercise I don't like I will skip past it or do something else.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote