Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-17, 08:19 PM  
Fitstick

Fitness careers

Just curious if any of you have turned their love for fitness into a career? I'm thinking of a career change and wondering what you can do when you get certified to be a personal trainer or health coach. How did you get started and how are things working out for you? I'm not sure I have what it takes to be an instructor. Thanks in advance.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 05:49 AM  
Jenmgo

I would love to do the same. Wondering where to start...
Right now I coach with beachbody as that's the closest fitness business I can do right now
I am knowledgeable with fitness and nutrition but don't have professional credentials ...
following
Old 01-18-17, 09:55 AM  
Demeris

I don't have a fitness career. Until I resolve some post-menopausal health issues, that isn't a possibility.

BUT I do want to pursue a very part time fitness career as soon as I physically am able. I want to help older people and people who might have health issues.

To that end, I became an ACE certified fitness trainer. I got the Walk15 certification (although it's a very basic cert--it gives you permission to use Leslie's name and her method). EVENTUALLY I want to add in Classical Stretch, T-Tapp, and am toying with Callanetics.

There are many different fitness certifications, and there are many ways to be a trainer. I encourage you to do the research on the particular kinds of exercise you want to take to the public and see which certifications, etc., might work for you.

On a side note, in a town near me is a Snap Fitness center. They have their own training, and if you want to work there, you need their training.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 01:18 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i owned a gym for about 10 years. sold it when we moved to florida. i was thinking about opening up a studio here but there are so many already i think the market is over saturated.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 02:12 PM  
desie

Quote:
. . . if you want to work there, you need their training.
If you have a particular employer in mind, I would try to get the job and have them send you to the certifications they want you to have. That is how I did it. Training is very expensive and you don't want to undertake it unless you are guaranteed to be gainfully employed.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 05:34 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
If you have a particular employer in mind, I would try to get the job and have them send you to the certifications they want you to have. That is how I did it. Training is very expensive and you don't want to undertake it unless you are guaranteed to be gainfully employed.
This is great advice, thank you.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 06:27 PM  
Eibhinn

It is good advice to try to get certified by an employer. My cousin got hired by a pilates studio who paid lots of money for her to get Stott certified (including airfare to the training etc.) back when pilates teachers were still uncommon. In her case, the studio was just opening, and they hired her because she naturally had the body they wanted people to think you get from pilates, so they paid to train her and let people come to their own conclusions why she looked the way she does. I think this is more common than most people would realize.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 07:05 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
It is good advice to try to get certified by an employer. My cousin got hired by a pilates studio who paid lots of money for her to get Stott certified (including airfare to the training etc.) back when pilates teachers were still uncommon. In her case, the studio was just opening, and they hired her because she naturally had the body they wanted people to think you get from pilates, so they paid to train her and let people come to their own conclusions why she looked the way she does. I think this is more common than most people would realize.
The barre3 studio near me does the same thing. They hold instructor auditions and send the ones to training who already look the part. They also have to be beautiful.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 07:26 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
The barre3 studio near me does the same thing. They hold instructor auditions and send the ones to training who already look the part. They also have to be beautiful.
Wow. That is REALLY interesting. And mildly alarming/deceiving.
Old 01-18-17, 11:02 PM  
nuttymom

I have been a trainer for many years. Worked in a gym as a trainer, trained personal trainers. I also got certified to teach spinning and yoga but realized I'm more of a "one on one" person than a teach a class person. Since having kids I had my own training business, very part time as I suck at marketing. I got certified as a health coach a few years ago and have done that on my own since then, again very part time due to my marketing issues. Now that my kids are a bit older I'm looking to get a health coach position with an insurance company. I have a degree in psychology and exercise science as well as being NASM certified, so I think I'm a good catch. Just need to find the right position for me (hours etc.).
nuttymom is offline   Reply With Quote