Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-16, 02:11 PM  
Candiceena

How do you track your workouts?

Hi Everyone!

Quick question - how do you track your workouts?

I was tracking mine using Google Sheets, with a new tab for each month, but found that to be honestly, time consuming and not very user friendly, for some reason.

I have now switched over to simply tracking them in my daily planner, which is surprisingly working out quite well. I can also make notes about how I felt, what I ate that day, etc - and the "boxes" for each day are big enough and not pre-set like they are with FitBooks or other fitness trackers. I like that.

I am getting ready to start a brand new job on Monday so my life is going to be changing SO MUCH (for the better!!!) ... regular M-F schedule, weekends & federal holidays off, etc ... so am looking forward to more consistency with workouts, but would like to be able to track them.

Please share your tips and/or how you track your workouts!
Old 07-30-16, 02:31 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I plan my workouts in 6 week rotations where I go through 3 different instructors/systems for 3 weeks then repeat with different workouts from those same 3 instructors/systems. As am example, I'm currently doing a Firm/Jillian Michaels/TXT rotation. I create them in an Excel sheet and check off each workout when I'm done. I update rather than delete the Excel sheet and at the end of the year I can see exactly what workouts I did and how many days I worked out.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 02:44 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
Hi Everyone!

Quick question - how do you track your workouts?

I was tracking mine using Google Sheets, with a new tab for each month, but found that to be honestly, time consuming and not very user friendly, for some reason.

I have now switched over to simply tracking them in my daily planner, which is surprisingly working out quite well. I can also make notes about how I felt, what I ate that day, etc - and the "boxes" for each day are big enough and not pre-set like they are with FitBooks or other fitness trackers. I like that.

I am getting ready to start a brand new job on Monday so my life is going to be changing SO MUCH (for the better!!!) ... regular M-F schedule, weekends & federal holidays off, etc ... so am looking forward to more consistency with workouts, but would like to be able to track them.

Please share your tips and/or how you track your workouts!
I've tracked my workouts every which way over the years and have decided I like tracking them in my daily planner best, much for the same reasons you mentioned.

I'm also starting a new job on Monday - so cheers to our new jobs!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 02:46 PM  
OSusanna

I use a cheap calendar for the day to day but then transfer everything into a database where I have all my video workouts and other activities logged. I can then run a report that will show me which activities (whether they be videos or other types) I've used most frequently by whatever span of time that I wish to track.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 02:48 PM  
Donna D

Wishing you all the best as you start your new jobs Candice and Carol!

Congratulations!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 02:53 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post
I use a cheap calendar for the day to day but then transfer everything into a database where I have all my video workouts and other activities logged. I can then run a report that will show me which activities (whether they be videos or other types) I've used most frequently by whatever span of time that I wish to track.
A database like Access?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 02:59 PM  
PhyllisG

I use a daily planner that has a calendar for each month. The boxes are big enough to write in plus there are margins along the side I can make notes/comments in.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 04:49 PM  
OSusanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
A database like Access?

Carol
Yes. A very simple one that I built. Two tables, one for workout activities/videos and then one for the actual workouts.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 04:56 PM  
Candiceena

Carol, congratulations & good luck to you on your new job! I bet this will be our best Monday in a long time!!

Thank you Donna for the kind words!

OSusanna, a database sounds great! I can see how it would be really nice to be able to run queries for that type of thing.

Glad to see others using the daily planner!! I have bought, in the past, many many daily planners but never had a real reason to use them! Now, I have found one, and I feel I didn't wast money on my latest planner, LOL! I am liking the handwritten tracking with using the daily planner because I feel like, for some reason, that the act of my physically picking up a pen and writing something down, really has a good positive psychological effect on me. IDK if that makes any sense, maybe it's just me!
Old 07-30-16, 05:14 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I guess I'm still old school, I use a notebook, that has a calendar for each month, and then between calendars It has a weekly planner with plenty of space to track my workouts, and add additional comment if I want to, as what weights I used, or something I'd like to remember about any particular workout. I use the calendar page to track my water intake everyday. There is also a memo page at the end of each month for additional notes, it is the best notebook I've found until now.

Mine is purple and more fun looking though.

ETA: Candice, I didn't see your post, I was probably editing mine, and totally missed it! Also, I wasn't sure if a daily planner was the same as a "notebook" or it was an online application. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calendar, journals, streaming colors, tracking workouts, workout log