Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-12, 08:29 PM  
Buzzer

Hamelin D'Abell Method DVD

I received this in the mail yesterday and the disc was loose and a bit scratched. However, it didn't skip or have any problems, so the story had a happy ending.
A little background on where I am today as I did this workout:
I am 6 months pregnant and feel puffy. I took a 20 minute nap, waking up about 30 minutes before doing this workout. I am slightly irritable, and not motivated to workout. I did STS Meso 2 Week 2 legs yesterday, and I'm not sore but my legs are tired feeling. Keeping this in mind, this was a perfect workout for me. If you own any of the following workouts, you do not need the new Hamelin DVD:
Booty Barre
Any Callen Pickney
Buns of Steel (Greg's)
Supermodel Workout
Core fusions
any of Hamelin's free workouts on Vimeo
any barre workout.

Hamelin will be a walk in the park compared to any of these workouts. As a matter of fact, just keep doing Hamelin's free content on VImeo and you'll love him more.

Now, down to the nitty gritty:
The workout runs about an hour. There is a voice over, Hamelin, I assume, is the one talking. He has a nice accent, and talks very relaxed. Several times during the workout I expected him to break out singing "I'm too Sexy for my body.." since he sounded much like the guy that sings that song. The cuing is off, as you are going down he is saying go up, as you are standing he is saying go down. As you are between reps, he's saying to tuck your hips at the bottom and release. He's always a half exercise behind (or ahead?). He recommends women use 1-3lbs, men 3-5. I used 4's, and it was OK. This workout is very Hamelin lite. He starts out after a warm up doing the arm workout, mostly 15-20 reps of each exercise. If you've ever done his free workouts, they are MUCH tougher. This is only about 4-5 different moves for arms. On the triceps, he starts channeling Callen Pickney and does like 40 pulses, then he's done with triceps.

He continues to channel Callen as he moves into legs and does some side stretches, pulsing like Callen for about 40 reps each side, relaxing into it and closing your eyes (he says to close your eyes a lot).
The legs are very barre light, he goes into 3 sets of small squats, some leg lifts, and some more small pulsing squats. He also does some work standing at the barre and lifting your bent knee up (probably 20 times) and then bent knee up and extend your leg, which I find difficult not only because my legs are tired and puffy, but also because in my real life, i just have trouble with that move.

He then goes to the floor and does some Buns Of Steel very light... 4 exercises of outer thigh type lifts of 20 reps each. Even in all my pregnant puffiness, irritability and demotivation, I made it through OK. He does one set of triceps in the crab position, and then goes into some abs.

I felt really relaxed when I was done, but I can see this workout leading to some dread factor since it moves so slow and there's really no energy to it. Oh, the music ranges from classical to more techno, but I only tuned into it a few times so I can't give a real overview of what it was. I found myself tuning out the voiceover and the music a lot.

Overall, I'm glad I got it, and will use this on days where I feel like I do today, when I don't want to push myself. it won't be part of my regular rotation, but it will be occasional just because I really like Hamelin and want this to be good.

If you missed getting this workout. Don't worry. You're really not missing anything. I'm kinda sad about this DVD, I wanted it to be good, but on the other hand, his free content is awesome so check that out instead!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 08:42 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Bummer that it was unexciting, especially after the long wait.
Maybe your review could be consolidated into Nelly's review thread which was already going?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 08:46 PM  
Buzzer

Oh!! I didn't realize there was a review thread already started!! I'm not techno enough to infuse threads, so if someone else knows how to??? or just delete mine???
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 08:52 PM  
Sharaz

Thanks for the review. I'm going to pick up Booty Barre at the PO tomorrow, I don't need this. Will try some of his channel workouts in a future.
Old 04-06-12, 09:17 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
or just delete mine???
Yikes, don't do that -- yours is a great, honest review. I think the mods can consolidate, or maybe you can copy your review onto that thread. It's just nice to be able to locate and read reviews all on one thread.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hamelin, hamelin d'abell, hdm