Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-01-21, 11:14 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat August 2021: Hot August Nights!

Welcome to the monthly Barefoot & On the Mat (aka Mat Mavens) check-in for August 2021!

We are a small, cozy, and welcoming group who perform a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special love for those that are performed barefoot. If you are a fan of such workouts (Barre, Pilates, Yoga, Fusion, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barret, Kettlebells, etc.), or even traditional workouts performed barefoot, you are welcome. And even if you wear shoes for workouts, come on in -- we won't tell!

Our welcome mats are always rolled out, and we love hearing from new, returning, and guest Mat Mavens!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 11:18 AM  
JustSandra

Hello again.

I'm apologizing for being MIA for a few days. My right knee was still recovering from whatever I did to it, although it is almost 100% now. Friday was my scheduled weekly rest day. And on Saturday I got sick! I have a low-grade fever, some muscle aches, and a bit of a headache. So far I'm just staying home and taking meds (which do help my symptoms a lot). If it persists I'll call the Kaiser advice nurse -- although I'm a little afraid I might be sent for a Covid test to rule out a breakthrough case.

Waving to all -- will be back later!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting us off Sandra & I hope you feel better soon! I’ve read about mild & asymptomatic Covid cases among vaccinated people with this new Delta variant being so transmissible. Fingers crossed that’s not the case!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:37 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth's NOT WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND yoga practice

Instead of sitting (since sitting is problematic for me), I stood during the first 10 minutes of Beth's NOT WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND yoga practice. I really liked it--thank you Beth!

Sandra, thank you so much for starting our August check-in! I hope you feel better soon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 03:14 PM  
cyana

Sat:
ETV 7.27.2021 class with Dyan. I think there might have been a snafu with this one - it was labeled as 7.27.2021, but when I opened it up the actual video was labeled as 6.24.2021 and seemed to be a practice that I'd done previously. I liked the practice, so I was fine with repeating it.
Legs up the wall
YT - Guided Meditation Before Sleep: Let Go of the Day by Depression to Expression (have done this one previously - decent 10 minute practice)

Sun:
ETV: 7.28.2021 class with Lauren.
YT - Sadhana Morning Yoga - the YT channel was Dudi Delosi, but this was a nice Nirvair Kundalini practice that ran around 24" long. Nirvair should be nicknamed "Oasis of Calm".
YT - YoQi - Mood Lifter - Marisa - posted 7.21.2017. This is one of my favorite YoQi practices and includes a good deal of hip movements. At one point she says something about emotions being stagnant in the hips and how this was going to get those demons out of there. I laughed and said "Oh, Marisa, I can tell you all about demons in the hips!"
YT - NOT Working For the Week-end - Beth. I must admit, when I saw the title, I immediately had a flashback to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgBpsNPQ50 . Talk about a serious 80's flashback! I really enjoyed this one, Beth - good job!

Since we're starting a new month, I took some time to review my work-out log back to 1.1.2019 and picked out 10 practices/work-outs that I really enjoyed to help out on those Analysis Paralysis or Help, My Motivation Fell Down and Can't Get Up Days. I also made a short list of instructors that I find to be no-dread, as well. It was striking to read how many times I mentioned that work sucked! And it was quite sobering to read my very raw entry from 1.6.2021.

Sandra - I'm glad your knee is getting back to 100%, but oh no on the new symptoms. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give the advice nurse a call, as they should be able to tell you what sort of current illnesses are going around in your community, whether they feel you need a COVID test and any sort of early/outpatient treatment in the event it should be positive. Sending healing thoughts your way!

Paine - I have trouble sitting for yoga these days - especially with crossed legs. My knees are up so high it's hard to keep my back straight (even sitting up on a blanket or pillow), so I've recently started keeping my legs out in front of me. It isn't pretty, but works fairly well for me most of the time.

Pam - You'd asked about the hip and whether it impacts my sleep. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It would be ideal if I could stay on my back all night, but I typically flip over on my side during the night. I prop myself with a couple of pillows when I'm on my side to try to keep everything in the best possible alignment, and that makes a difference.

Beth - I'm glad you had a good M-B-B yesterday.

Must run - trying to keep sitting to a minimum this week-end. Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 03:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, thanks for starting the thread AND reminding us all. Oh no on feeling sick! It might be worth a covid test for your own peace of mind if there's an easy way for you to do it; hope you feel better soon.

Paine, glad you enjoyed that practice! I might do another floor practice that is largely restorative but specifically targeted to the back. We'll see...it'll be harder to film after starting back at work on Tuesday.

Pam, how are cases in your area? Is there talk of return to masks? Luckily here in NY we have higher vaccination rates, so no need for vaccinated people to go back to wearing masks indoors...yet.

Back in a moment with my workouts...have to attend to the laundry first.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 03:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm guessing that after I go back to work Tuesday, my workouts will not continue to be as varied as they have been! However, I am hoping to keep up with the summer sadhana I started last week (today was Day 9) as well as the concurrent daily 100 KB swings.

Monday
Lauren Brooks KB Swing Challenge, Day 2
Hip Hop Abs - Fat Burning Cardio
Yoga Journal (YT) - Yoga Journal at Home, Standing Hip Openers with Baron Baptiste

Tuesday
KB: 100 Swings - 8 Halos - 1 min ATW
Action Jacquelyn (YT) - 30m Full Body Barre Sculpt
Flow with Mira (YT) - Pilates for Strong Hips
Yoga with Tim (YT) - 25m Energizing Morning Flow
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Wednesday
ATTENDED yoga class at studio with Carol
100 KB Swings
CS Essentrics Garden, Upper Body Abs & Waist

Thursday
100 KB Swings
HDM (YT) - Inch Loss Classic, 53m
Do Yoga with Me (YT) - Yoga for Hips, Hamstrings, & Lower Back with David Prochyshyn

Friday
100 KB Swings
AM Yoga for Your Week - Standing
Total Toning Pilates - Mat Workout

Saturday
TAUGHT outdoor yoga, Mind-Body-Brew
100 KB Swings + 20 ATW
Baron Core Power

Sunday
Coregeous - Ab Massage, Get COREganized, InCOREporate
100 KB Swings
30MTF Your Best Body - Workout #2 with Cardio Rests premix

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 06:27 PM  
cyana

Quick update to my prior post:

Beth - You'd asked about the Topo Mat in last month's thread. It's a great way to fidget in place. I can do calf raises, elevate the heels or the front of the foot for some nice stretches, massage various parts of the foot, and stand in all sorts of different positions with my feet on various parts of the mat.

DH watched the Nefflix series "Penguin Town" last week if anyone's interested: https://www.netflix.com/title/81214135 . I watched some of it - I thought it was well done.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 09:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Today’s offerings:
~15 min rowing
~20 min gentle rebounding & 20 min gliding
~Body Groove: 25 min
~Gentle hip & leg stretches on my own

Cyana - I’ve resorted to taking Tylenol at bedtime fairly regularly. I have a pillow under the covers beside my left leg to prop my right leg on as I’m a side sleeper & I think it helps.

Beth - Nice week for you! Our vaccination rate is around 75% & new cases in our area remain low but are slowly on the rise. For a brief period they were virtually non existent but the arrival of tourists (we are a tourist Mecca in the summer) combined with looser restrictions has resulted in an increase. Masks are not mandatory but still recommended & some business require them.

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 08-01-21, 11:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Paine - I cook a lot of legumes in my IP too, lots of chickpeas as we love hummus but also beans & lentils. I should do a big chopping & prep session like you do, it does make things easier in the long run. I’m going to look for oat groats next time I’m at the market. We’ve had good luck with lettuce & greens in our garden this year & we’ve got a bumper crop of tomatoes starting to ripen. The basil has gone nuts & DS1 made us some amazing pesto recently. I need to trim it back again already.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn