Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-26-21, 09:00 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I had Slim Series briefly (I remember I got a great deal on the set used!), but I was bored by them too. Good luck with today's stealth fitness!

Pat, sorry about the eye issues. I remember that after DH got Lasik, he had some issues for awhile and was feeling frustrated; I hope your problems turn out to be minor.

For anyone interested, here is the entire Lower Back sequence from Total Body Solution. Each exercise (they call them "drills") is performed for 15 reps unless noted.
  1. Cat/Camel (same as cat/cow)
  2. Hip Twist (the exercise I described above, staring on the back like an iron cross)
  3. Bird-Dog (hands and knees)
  4. Trunk Twist (another reclined move that I'll describe below)
  5. Glute Bridge (lying pelvic lifts, toes up)
  6. Clam (class side-lying with knees bent)
  7. Good Morning (standing, come to back parallel with floor)
  8. Psoas Hold (kneeling lunge, knees 90/90; shift hips forward while keeping shoulders back and hold 30 seconds)
The trunk twist is similar to a one-legged reclined twist in yoga, but with dynamic movement:
  1. Start lying on your right side. Your right leg is straight, and your left (top) leg is bent to 90-degrees. Arms are straight out from your shoulders, right palm up, left palm down.
  2. Begin to lift your left (top) arm as you roll onto your back. Keep your left knee (top leg) on the floor as you attempt to twist so that your left shoulder blade comes to the floor.
  3. Roll back to the starting position and complete 15 total reps; repeat on the second side.
(After typing all that out, I just found this YouTube video that shows the move. The only difference is that it looks like he has both legs bent rather than bottom leg straight.)

I hope this helps someone! Even though it is described as the "lower back" series, I find it really useful for hip issues.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 09:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone, still not much going on here. Today is my last day off from my little eye surgery rest. Yesterday was sad - I went to my BIL's house to notarize his will and help them get other papers sorted out. It was very sad to see him so sick. A lot of memories swirling around in that house. It used to be bustling to the rafters, filled with kids, laughter, conversation and life. It's the end of such a big part of our lives.

After I drove directly to the beach for a long solo meditative walk with lots of bench sitting to reflect on the views. It's time to get back on program now and get in some good workouts, better eating plan this week.

I'll be more chatty tomorrow.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 10:18 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Denise Austin Body Makeover Mix (Lower Body Sculpt workout)

I finished Austin's lower body workout but I didn't enjoy it.

Cyana, I hope you find a solution for your hip.
Yes we had a wonderful family get-together.

Pam, you're so fortunate that you have trusted expert doctors available to you (especially your DS2)!

Sandra, I have or had Strong Knees but I don't remember if I kept that DVD or not. If I recall correctly, I liked the stretching routine the most on that DVD.

Pat, I feel for your BIL. Life changes can be difficult. It's still hard for my sister to be without her DH.
I like you avatar!!

Beth, I think I still have Total Body Solution. It's good for rehab moves.
I hope you get moved back to the main building at your work.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 12:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning mat mavens!

Pat - Sending you (((hugs))). So sorry to hear about your BIL, the cycle of life can be harsh.

Cyana - I also did Slim Series once many years ago & I also watched the clock as I found them long. MFML has a good variety of gentle hip & low back focused practices so between that & MELT I do get some relief…..when I’m consistent. I’ll be glad to get the injection behind me. DH had his shoulder injected recently, it was not at all painful & he’s seeing good results with the rehab exercises he’s doing. As I said earlier, my hope is to get some relief that I can maintain with a good regime.

Paine - I think you have to be in the right mood to do a workout with Denise, lol, same with Pahla B. I like them but couldn’t handle a regular diet of either, too much talking.

Beth - Sounds like TBS is definitely a keeper for you!

Back later to post my day….

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 01:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I think as we get older, there is a lot of mourning for how things used to be. Sounds like you are supporting your BIL and his family as best you can. I like your new avatar!

Paine, we'll see what happens after I talk to my boss next week; I think she'll likely be open to whatever I want to do.

Pam, my mom had an injection for arthritis in her thumb that she said was very painful! Hope that yours goes well and that you find relief soon.

I hope to film/upload a new video this afternoon; working title is "Eight is Enough."

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-26-21, 06:21 PM  
JustSandra

Hi everyone!

My knee is about 75-80% improved. The general stiffness has dissipated and my walking gait is back to normal except I can't walk quite as fast. Now there is only a little localized discomfort above the kneecap and occasional clicking.

Today's Workout: I pulled out Total Body Solution with Debbie Siebers and did the Knee routine. I've done the Shoulder section of this DVD many time but can't recall when I last used it for knees. However, it was just what I needed! Finished off with the Total Stretch from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3. I also walked outside for about a mile.

Pat58: That is so tough re your BIL. I agree with Beth that there are times as we get older that we may mourn for how life once was. I felt that when I cleared out my family childhood home after my mom passed.

Paine: I'm not sure if I've ever used the stretch segment on Strong Knees. Interestingly, going by comments in the General Discussion section, Strong Knees does seem to be a favorite at VF. But as I note in my VF review, while the exercises themselves are good, the DVD itself is a PITA to use.

Beth: Let us know if you get to make the move back to the main building.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 07:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s gentle activities:
~BellyFit zoom: Invoking Resistance
~MELT: Back, Hip, & Knee map - This felt really good!
~Qi Gong challenge: Day 1
~Gentle seated leg & hip stretches on my own

Sandra - Good to hear your knee is better! Did you figure out what caused it?

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 08:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, that's great that you've seen improvement; sounds like your rehab efforts are helping. I get some clicking in my knee on regular basis.

Pam, sounds like you are really enjoying the MELT routines! Do you do them from a book or online?

Here's the link to the video I filmed today for anyone interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXQxcQUcY

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-27-21, 10:24 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Give Me Strength (all of the upper body work plus quads)
Beth's YouTube: EIGHT IS ENOUGH | 8 Basic Yoga Poses

Beth, I enjoyed your 8 Basic Yoga Poses this morning--thank you!!

Sandra, it was tough for me clearing out my mom's house after she died.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 10:39 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! Back to the office, sigh. Yesterday I stepped out of my comfort zone and did KCM's Muscle Up, workout 1.

Good news - I think there is some improvement in my vision. The disturbing light refraction seems to be faded. Knock on wood!

Thanks for the hugs re: my BIL. Honestly, no one is surprised. That old adage about how if the wife dies in a long-term marriage, the husband is not far behind, is true in this case. He is 80, and had a long life, healthy for most of it, a beautiful wife, and three loving, successful children. What more could a man ask for?

Beth, I still have to try your yin and BYOB practices, both have been on my list for so long. I think today will be a good time. In fact, I haven't been doing much yoga at all, my focus is so much on weight loss and toning lately.

Cyana, thank you for the report on the Happy Cam! Love him holding onto sticks for security. I looked this morning and can't believe how he's grown - only the juvenile plumage gives him away.

Pam, are you doing lee's 30 Day Challenge with the short routines, or did you jump on the latest live Five Day Challenge?

I'm hopelessly behind - but I see that a lot of hugs and prayers are needed for our various cranky body parts. I hope everyone feels better soon, sending out positive energy!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
twisting