Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-21, 02:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Does anyone use adjustable kettlebells?

I've been wanting kettlebells but don't have a ton of space to get several, and of course they're expensive. Saw this one from Stamina today. Reviews are pretty good.

Zulily has it for $100.

Has anyone used this or a similar one? I'm wondering how the adjustables compare to regular KBs.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 04:03 PM  
fanofladyvols

Hey Pratima

I got an adjustable Kettlebell for Christmas and here's my experience so far ...(not that one)

Pros:
not a space hog, sits in its own base

Makes starting the workout simple to start

Saves time bc quick to up or lower weight mid workout.

Great for goblet squats and deadlifts and two hand swings

Cons:
sometimes the jump in weight is odd so look at that. (Mine jumps from 12# to 20#)

the base is cumbersome/awkward for bottoms up moves, and other moves like turkish get ups and windmills.

I wouldn't ever buy two of them for double Kettlebell exercises.

Hope that helps!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 04:36 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Good points! Seems like this goes from 16 to 36 lbs. in 5 lb increments. Does that sound reasonable?

I've never used two bells, so don't anticipate doing that.

Of course I'm also debating whether I can just stick with dumbbells for KB moves in the occasional video! I did enjoy using KBs when I had a membership to Burn Bootcamp.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 07:23 PM  
fanofladyvols

That does sound like a good weight increment. You can use dumbbells for most moves but not swings. I have tried. But weight plates with handles work pretty good in a pinch. That's what I have been doing.

Kettlebells are just so much fun to me. But if it's just for the random move then you would probably do well with the adjustable bell.

It's very much like if you give a mouse a cookie for me...I'll be getting more eventually.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 02-18-21, 07:44 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i would buy this if you've got the money. for the amount of bells this would cover it's a very good price.

going up in 5 pound increments is excellent and with the top out at 35 pounds you'll be covered for just about everything you'd want to do with a kettlebell.

if you need heavier for some exercises you might find that dumbbells will work just as well.

my only concern is it looks like a really big bell and for me to do a figure 8, figure 8 to hold - anything where you'd have to pass the bell thru the legs i would have a problem with a very large bell.

i'm only 5'2" and i think i have shorter legs compared to my torso. the picture with the man holding the kettlebell on the back shoulder makes the bell seem really huge. it's pictures 8 & 9
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 10:10 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I don't have one. Just multiple regular KBs. However, this one looks good. It has the same shape. Not sure how the weights are locked inside. It actually made me think I want one. I have up to 25 lbs, so this will be 30 and 35 lbs. I'm not anywhere close to that weight though!

Just a side note, the guys on both videos have bad form...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 11:13 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post

Just a side note, the guys on both videos have bad form...
Ha! So I had to watch but you're right!

Tags
adjustable kettlebells, kettlebell, kettlebells