Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-20, 04:47 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
We must be on a similar wave length. I used ripe bananas to make banana chocolate chip muffins just the other day and Friday night I made macaroni & cheese to use up a quart of milk that my husband wouldn't drink because it was a day past its sell-by date. Yesterday morning he told me to throw out a partial loaf of bread that he didn't finish using for lunches last week, but I want to try to use up what we have and avoid going to the store, so it became perfectly delicious french toast for breakfast
LAC, we are cooking/baking twins My husband is the opposite, though. He said to please ignore the sell by dates and use everything we have. I love French toast. I made it yesterday. You can freeze bread if you have room in your freezer.

I have heavy cream to use up (I don't keep it on hand often)so I am going to make black and white cookies tomorrow. My son will love that I'm glad I thought to freeze a block of mozarella cheese a few weeks ago. My DH's birthday is this week, and since we can't go out I will make homemade Chicago deep dish pizza. I'll make healthier food the rest of the week, I swear!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 04:59 PM  
topfitmama

I've been cooking meals based on what I find in my freezer or what needs to be used up too! I have a container of cottage cheese that's past its sell-by date and I found half a bag of frozen sour cherries in the freezer. I'm going to make cottage cheese pancakes with cherry sauce tomorrow.
I made a most delicious turkey and leek cottage pie last week with leeks that had to be eaten up before they wilted any further!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 05:00 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have heavy cream to use up (I don't keep it on hand often)so I am going to make black and white cookies tomorrow. My son will love that
What are black and white cookies?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 05:33 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Here is the recipe I use. They may be an American thing? I am not sure.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/bl...white-cookies/

I also have sour cream to use up, so I am glad to have a delicious recipe.

If you try these, you may want to start with less confectioners sugar for the icing. When I followed the recipe the first time I made it, the icing was WAY too thick and I had to use a lot of milk to thin it out. This will be my second time making them.

Old 03-22-20, 06:07 PM  
LAC

Quote:
LAC, we are cooking/baking twins My husband is the opposite, though. He said to please ignore the sell by dates and use everything we have. I love French toast. I made it yesterday. You can freeze bread if you have room in your freezer.

I have heavy cream to use up (I don't keep it on hand often)so I am going to make black and white cookies tomorrow. My son will love that I'm glad I thought to freeze a block of mozarella cheese a few weeks ago. My DH's birthday is this week, and since we can't go out I will make homemade Chicago deep dish pizza. I'll make healthier food the rest of the week, I swear!
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the recipe I use. They may be an American thing? I am not sure.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/bl...white-cookies/

I also have sour cream to use up, so I am glad to have a delicious recipe.

If you try these, you may want to start with less confectioners sugar for the icing. When I followed the recipe the first time I made it, the icing was WAY too thick and I had to use a lot of milk to thin it out. This will be my second time making them.
Sherry, this is too funny - I am making pizza for my family tonight, although not deep dish. Waiting on the dough to finish rising right now. In my neck of the woods, those black & white cookies are called half-moons. There is a homemade ice cream shop & bakery that we visit in the summertime that makes really good ones. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 06:37 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
We must be on a similar wave length. I used ripe bananas to make banana chocolate chip muffins just the other day and Friday night I made macaroni & cheese to use up a quart of milk that my husband wouldn't drink because it was a day past its sell-by date. Yesterday morning he told me to throw out a partial loaf of bread that he didn't finish using for lunches last week, but I want to try to use up what we have and avoid going to the store, so it became perfectly delicious french toast for breakfast
Pet peeve: wasting perfectly good food because it's one day past an arbitrary "sell-by" date that serves only to help stores with their inventory rotation. It's still perfectly fine unless the milk is sour or the bread is moldy.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 06:48 PM  
sherry7899

LAC, here is the pizza recipe:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...ep-dish-pizza/

I buy half moon cookies from Trader Joe's, but we are not going to go there for awhile.

Old 03-22-20, 08:19 PM  
Floren

Thanks to this thread, I had french toast with caramelized bananas for dinner using some bread I had in the freezer, and bananas that were on their way. Thanks for the idea! I can't remember the last time I had french toast.

Quote:
Yesterday morning he told me to throw out a partial loaf of bread that he didn't finish using for lunches last week, but I want to try to use up what we have and avoid going to the store, so it became perfectly delicious french toast for breakfast
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 08:56 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Pet peeve: wasting perfectly good food because it's one day past an arbitrary "sell-by" date that serves only to help stores with their inventory rotation. It's still perfectly fine unless the milk is sour or the bread is moldy.
Agreed. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the USDA Foodkeeper App with guidance on how long things are shelf stable: https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep-food...foodkeeper-app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Thanks to this thread, I had french toast with caramelized bananas for dinner using some bread I had in the freezer, and bananas that were on their way. Thanks for the idea! I can't remember the last time I had french toast.
Ooh, that sounds yummy!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 12:07 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
I'm going to make cottage cheese pancakes with cherry sauce tomorrow.
topfitmama spill the recipe you use for this please!!

Sherry...geez I wish I could pull up to your dinner table fork in hand and bib on chest!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing