Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-19, 09:50 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I know I’m in the minority here, but I think people choose Taco Bell over salads because it tastes better. I also think eating healthy is cheaper than eating junk food. You can buy large, cheap bottles of pop at the store, but it’s even cheaper to drink water and I personally like tea, so it costs me $2.00 for a box of 100 tea bags which will make 10 gallons of tea - I spend almost nothing on beverages. I also spend less on food when I eat healthy partially because I buy so much less food and eat in smaller quantities.

I think we often eat for the wrong reasons - not just because we are hungry and need fuel, but we are accustomed to eating when we’re bored or socializing, etc.
Nobody claimed that people didn't have responsibility in their food choices or that they chose foods for other reasons than health. The point is that policy could make it much harder to choose poorly. We certainly have policies now that make it very easy to choose junk. Availability and price affect choice. Tax food that contributes to disease so that it can properly fund the medical care that it creates. Give tax incentives to restaurants that serve healthy choices so that they can risk using fruits/veges that have a faster spoil rate. Government funded school cafeterias can ban soda/fast food and cook food from scratch (pilot programs for this show improved attention/grades in students).

Currently, eating healthy in general costs more than eating junk. Especially if you consider making tasty food and not just beans in the crockpot (yummy to me but not likely to be a big seller against cookies and nachos). We need it to be easy/inexpensive for families to buy fish and tasty produce.

Tags
doctors, health, medical tests, prevention