Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Notices

Old 07-06-23, 02:36 PM  
tlchello

I have switched to prioritizing strength training and mobility with walking for cardio. (Lift with Cee and Essentrics for the most part).

I am taking on more and more responsibilities assisting my mom (74), so I have seen my "potential" future and it isn't bright. She has extremely limited mobility, no strength and dealing with many "lifestyle" conditions (diabetes, HTN, etc). This basically scared me straight and onto the path of doing what I can now at 52 to prevent or mitigate the risks. I keep thinking of that quote "genetics loads the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger".

I no longer care about a bikini body but I certainly care about being able to carry my own groceries or get myself off the floor in 20 years.
Old 07-06-23, 03:41 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Well, I'm well beyond peri-menopause now. ;-)

I still do some form of cardio, but it is usually walking and hiking. All low-impact or I modify as closely to that whenever possible.

For myself, I prefer weight lifting. It doesn't have to be heavy weights all the time. In fact, if you're not used to lifting much at all, you'd have to work your way up, if that's your goal. But, you can benefit from just adding weight work a couple times per week. I wouldn't give up what you love to do, in the way of exercises. Just supplement what you're already doing.

I also really like fusion style workouts, with Jessica Smith, Ellen (just to name a few.) Jessica is nice because she offers so much (balance, strength, mobility, flexibility) and she's fun to workout with. Lot's of positive energy and outdoor locations!

We're all different in how we choose to exercise, and your time is valuable. If you don't love it, you won't do it! But there are so many instructors out there now. Streaming, YouTube, DVD, etc.

My routine currently is heavy lifting and yoga workouts daily. I get outside and hike a couple times a week, and walk on the treadmill or outdoors when I can get that in! Yoga keeps me from getting sore, when I'm hauling around heavy weights. And, I'm enjoying this current regiment.

I also am motivated by a parent who suffered many health problems and it effected their ability to function day to day. The consequence of inactivity and poor lifestyle choices was very harmful and painful for my mom.

Not all strength training has to be boring. Not all cardio has to be given up, if you like it! Just have a balance of both. I would do what you love 3x per week, and add weights a couple times a week. But, find an instructor that you gel with!

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 07-06-23, 04:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I started doing a lot more weight workout prior to entering menopause. I do lift relatively heavyóor I tryóas Iím concerned about my bones. I also love my cardio, and I wonít give it up. It took awhile, but I enjoy the weight training a lot more than I did initially. Maybe itís because I started to feel betterófitter and stronger with noticeable muscle definition. I tend to see physical results fairly quickly, so that was pretty motivating to continue. I rarely feel stiff or sore afterwards, but I think that was a function of time and gradually increasing how much I was lifting and how often I did it. Iím now well past menopause and canít see giving up weight training as long as I can do it.

Like Pam said, itís about finding balance. I will do a heavier weight rotation and alternate with a lighter weight rotation to keep up interest and variety. Mostly I do weights 3 times a week interspersed with cardio on the other days.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 07-06-23, 05:00 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Iím post menopause and do both weights and cardio. Iíve enjoyed lifting ďheavierĒ the past 1-2 years. Iíve been doing Caroline Girvan programs and Beachbody LIIFT More. I plan to do a Cathe STS 2.0 rotation starting next week.

But I also love doing iFit walk and walk/run workouts on my treadmill. I usually do that first as a warmup for the weight workouts. I think it serves as a stress reducer for me.

My goals have shifted from looking better to functioning better instead. I want to maintain my independence for as long as Iím able. Iím hoping to retire in a couple of years and want to be healthy and strong enough to hike, travel, and do all the things Iíve dreamed about sitting at my desk all day for work.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25kís
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 07-06-23, 05:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, I'm in full menopause. For years now though I've really de-emphasized cardio, but my main reason is that unlike you, I've never really liked it! My general schedule is to try to do a "pure" cardio workout on Mondays, when I have the most energy - something I enjoy, like kickboxing. I shoot for 20-30 minutes but it's honestly probably been less of late. On other days, I sometimes do strength workouts that I believe have an aerobic affect, such as kettlebells.

But honestly, I think that at this stage in life, do what you enjoy!!! Give yourself credit for exercising at all. Maybe add in shorter strength if you feel the need for more.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 07-06-23, 05:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Long sessions of cardio exhaust me now, so I don't do more than what I know will wipe me out. I'm finding myself much more exhausted from things that I used to not be exhausted from, so I have pretty much given up long cardio. Anything longer than 30 minutes or where I'm just gasping for air is way too much for me now. If I do cardio, it's KCM's boxing/kickboxing, or walking, or some jogging intervals on the treadmill.
Lori, agree with this 100%. And even though I enjoy strength more, lately my strength sessions are shorter too - I still do 20-30 minutes when I can (rarely longer), but this past month or so, 10-20/25 minutes has become more the norm. (I also did some dabbling in T-Tapp but got off track with this during recent traveling.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-06-23, 05:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
I am tired of feeling stiff and sore when I lift, so have been doing a lot of power yoga with Inner Dimension this past year. I only manage 30 minute practices, but it is amazing the strength I have gained from it. And I feel flexible and mobile, not stiff and sore. Iím 48 and that, along with walking and rebounding, has been fantastic for me mentally and physically.
Jill, that's great! I don't really enjoy power or vinyasa yoga as much, but when I do it, I do find that I feel stronger very quickly. It's been a goal of mine to go more vinyasa classes at the studio where I teach this summer, but life has interrupted.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-06-23, 06:43 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Jill, that's great! I don't really enjoy power or vinyasa yoga as much, but when I do it, I do find that I feel stronger very quickly. It's been a goal of mine to go more vinyasa classes at the studio where I teach this summer, but life has interrupted.
Beth, in addition to helping me feel good physically, it is essentially a moving meditation for me. Even a tougher flow is unbelievably soothing to my nervous system, which has been particularly helpful with my stressful job.
Old 07-06-23, 07:06 PM  
laurawd

I've prioritized strength training for nearly 20 years now. It is SO important, not just for functioning well, but to also stave off sarcopenia. Lifting heavy (it's all relative) is critical to maintaining or building muscle and bone density. It also does great things for your metabolism. I also like cardio, but strength is most important.
Old 07-06-23, 07:12 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Give yourself credit for exercising at all.
I think this is a really good point, I was with family recently and there's just a few of us who regularly exercise, and one of them is a former personal trainer. He's nearly 60 and did more physically in a week than the teenagers in attendance. Those of who did exercise also focused on healthy eating, moving, walking, cleaning, while the others did a whole lot of sitting around.

Like others said upthread, I see older family members who didn't stay active and their injuries, diseases, etc. It really makes me glad I invest my time in trying to maintain muscle and mobility, and overall health!

Tags
cardio vs weights, osteoporosis, peri-menopause, perimenopause, sarcopenia, weights vs cardio