Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Notices

Old 07-06-23, 07:46 AM  
sherry7899

perimenopause-emphasizing strength over cardio?

Has anyone in this lovely time of life flipped their workouts to do more strength over cardio? I am going to give it a try, but make sure to keep in near daily yoga as well. How did this work out for you?

I admit I love cardio and will miss doing it as often to fit in more strength training. I don't want to do splits. I can't give it at my all at either one if I do strength and cardio on the same day.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 07-06-23, 08:18 AM  
donnamp

Hi Sherry

I have not done this - but everything i read says that "women of a certain age" should prioritize strength over cardio. Like you, I love my cardio - strength, not so much. So, I would also love to hear about how others have made the switch!

Donna
Old 07-06-23, 08:36 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi Sherry

I have not done this - but everything i read says that "women of a certain age" should prioritize strength over cardio. Like you, I love my cardio - strength, not so much. So, I would also love to hear about how others have made the switch!

Donna
Thanks, Donna! I miss the endorphins from my frequent dance cardio. 😁

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 07-06-23, 10:21 AM  
Rhonda

I do know I probably should do more strength but I am finding workouts that are both cardio/strength fit the bill nicely. do I lift heavy, not like I used to, but I don't see that I need to either. I just want to maintain my strength.

I do use Peloton and they have nice "bootcamps"; MOSSA on demand had a nice program called Move and it uses a piece of equipment that is new to me and helps you move in ways you would your daily life. Yoga in itself can keep your strength up, I know it depends on what type of yoga you do. I like the more stretchy/flexibility yoga so I don't rely on that for myself.

I like KCM also because I like boxing and most of her workouts combine boxing and weights.
Old 07-06-23, 10:54 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I was a latecomer to kettlebells but found that the combination of elevated heart rate and strength from doing swings seems to be an effective and efficient exercise for my body.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Old 07-06-23, 11:09 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Long sessions of cardio exhaust me now, so I don't do more than what I know will wipe me out. I'm finding myself much more exhausted from things that I used to not be exhausted from, so I have pretty much given up long cardio. Anything longer than 30 minutes or where I'm just gasping for air is way too much for me now. If I do cardio, it's KCM's boxing/kickboxing, or walking, or some jogging intervals on the treadmill.

I try to do strength training 2X a week, fusion 2X a week, and longer Essentrics or yoga 2X a week, with some walking etc. mixed in.

Heavy weights are also out the window for me now; I either injure myself or am sore for way too long.

Longer cardio did nothing for me in terms of weight loss (which has totally stalled for months now) so I figured why am I doing this to myself?
Old 07-06-23, 12:30 PM  
prettyinpink

I usually do more strength than cardio if you mean cardio in the higher zones.

But I spend more time in low level cardio than I do anything else. Iíve been hearing a lot about ďzone 2 cardioĒ lately and realized that is basically what Iím doing when walking or working outside. Itís not very intense but is the kind of thing that should be the bulk of time spent in fitness, whether intentionally or unintentionally.
Old 07-06-23, 01:47 PM  
geojill

I am tired of feeling stiff and sore when I lift, so have been doing a lot of power yoga with Inner Dimension this past year. I only manage 30 minute practices, but it is amazing the strength I have gained from it. And I feel flexible and mobile, not stiff and sore. Iím 48 and that, along with walking and rebounding, has been fantastic for me mentally and physically.
Old 07-06-23, 02:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Strength Training!

When you are 80 years old you will thank yourself for lifting weights. If you don't have the strength to lift your butt out of a chair, you won't be able to go for that nice cardio walk/dance/Peloton.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-06-23, 02:36 PM  
tlchello

I have switched to prioritizing strength training and mobility with walking for cardio. (Lift with Cee and Essentrics for the most part).

I am taking on more and more responsibilities assisting my mom (74), so I have seen my "potential" future and it isn't bright. She has extremely limited mobility, no strength and dealing with many "lifestyle" conditions (diabetes, HTN, etc). This basically scared me straight and onto the path of doing what I can now at 52 to prevent or mitigate the risks. I keep thinking of that quote "genetics loads the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger".

I no longer care about a bikini body but I certainly care about being able to carry my own groceries or get myself off the floor in 20 years.

Tags
cardio vs weights, osteoporosis, peri-menopause, perimenopause, sarcopenia, weights vs cardio