Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-11, 11:21 AM  
jerebo

Livefit Revolution

OK, so I'm only two weeks into this program and I'm not following the nutrition plan, but so far I have to say that I love it!

For those of you who don't know, Livefit Revolution is a free website that includes a fitness program and a nutrition plan. The program has three phases--phases 1 and 2 are 6 weeks each. Phase 3 appears to be a maintenance plan and, apparently, goes on in perpetuity.

Phase 1 consists of 4 kettlebell workouts. You can follow along with the posted workout (it's a live class doing the workout, so nothing fancy in terms of production values and everyone is moving at his/her own pace), or you can use the posted workout outline (my choice). How-tos of each exercise are demonstrated, though it does help that I've had some one-on-one coaching. Participants are also supposed to walk 30 minutes 6 days a week and do an additional cardio challenge on Saturdays--about an hour's worth of cardio. The recommended workout schedule (not including the 30 minute daily walks) is MT kettlebells, W rest, ThF kettlebells, and Saturday cardio challenge.

If you follow the posted workouts, they last about 45 minutes to an hour--and you would probably want to add in additional exercises. I find that I get through the written workouts in 20-30 minutes. It's kind of hard to explain the format of the workouts, but they all start with a swing warm-up (before which I usually add my own joint mobility stuff). Then the workout is something of a full-body circuit, using a variety of reps/sets. For example, today was a laddered combination move: one-arm swing, bottoms-up clean, squat, press--5 reps, then 4, then 3, etc. Afterwards was a set of 15 lunges per side, a laddered set of swings into snatches (though sometimes she does "straight sets--2 sets of X per side), suitcase deadlifts (1 set of 10/side followed by 1 set of 15/side with little rest), 3 x 10 sets of chest press, 2 x 10 sets of turkish get-up sit-ups (not the full TGU), and 1 set of 10 alternating swings.

I got my heart rate up doing all but the chest press. So far, Alysia introduces 2 new moves per workout--I guess not including the very first workout.

I can't tell you about results b/c I've not been following the program long enough, haven't done the additional cardio, and am definitely not watching my eating , but I'm enjoying the program. I love that it's FREE and that there's a new workout every day. Of course, I tend to prefer paper workouts for my weight training and rarely use DVDs for anything other than cardio (and even then, I prefer outdoors cardio).

If you can't afford RKS and are OK with paper workouts (or semi-paper workouts), give livefit a try. You've got nothing to lose.

www.livefitrevolution.com.

BTW, I'm not associated with the program in any way! FWIW, I really like the Iron Core KB dvds--the ones that I got at Target, so that might tell you something about my tastes in KB workouts. Also really love Lauren Brookes.
Old 07-25-11, 11:36 AM  
penl

I have just started using their posted workouts as well and I agree - great FREE workouts. I am not following their plan as I still do traditional lifting one day a week.
penl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 01:20 PM  
bee1forfitness

I've been Kbelling for about 4 years and I love that website...I use the written breakdown, but it great for refreshing my form and the workout are terrific!!!, I've got that site bookmarked as a favorite!!!
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 02:15 PM  
mandie123

that site started me on KB's!
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 03:12 PM  
jerebo

I'm glad to see some love for Livefit!
Old 07-25-11, 04:01 PM  
Getfit

Thanks, I never heard of the site before but I like what I see so far.
Old 04-30-16, 06:10 AM  
Lannette

Bumping older thread

I wanted to give this site a Rave but searched before creating a new thread and found this older one.

Thanks to Bee1forfitness I found this site. I've tried using KB WOs quite a few times in the past and didn't click with the method. This time I'm enjoying it.

The workouts start at a beginner's level but can be amped up by using heavier KBS. I'm using the videos along with the paper often taking shorter breaks than the participants.

You are told that you'll make fast strength gains and I appear to have done so though perhaps it's more a function of learning better form than real strength. As of today I'm halfway through week 3. I started Week 1 with a 10# KB and am now using 20# for most moves. I'm flirting with moving up to 26# - at least for swings - next week. (The full warm up, which we built up to as of yesterday consists of a total of 120 swings)

If you have a question about form you can post and Jason comes in and answers - I needed guidance with snatches. No sign of Alysia so far.

I think for me having a progressive program where each workout was filmed live and is different is the ticket. I also don't feel the need to do the hardest workouts out there so that helps.

For the first 6 weeks you do four KB WOs a week with daily cardio (30 minutes) and one Cardio Challenge. So far I've used my Bellicon for daily cardio and did a Cathe Step DVD in place of a stair climbing challenge. I've also snuck in some T-Tapp. I'm no KB expert - not even close - but it feels as though we're simultaneously building up a repertoire of moves while perfecting form and building base strength.

After 6 weeks you do two planned KB WOs, add another type of WO and are supposed to choose a previous KB WO from the site. If I make it that long - taking this a week at a time - I may try pulling out some of my older KB DVDs to see how they feel. The daily cardio and weekly cardio challenge continues.

There are a total of 30 weeks of workouts on the site. I do not know if there is repetition in later weeks.

Anyway a shout out to Bee! Thanks so much for introducing me to this site!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 08:52 AM  
buffmama

Great program. One of the first rotations I did. Approachable, non-intimidating, and great to see the participants progressing along with me - this gave reasonable expectations. The workouts get longer as you progress.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 09:07 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Great program. One of the first rotations I did. Approachable, non-intimidating, and great to see the participants progressing along with me - this gave reasonable expectations. The workouts get longer as you progress.
Did you do all 30 weeks? What did you do once the new workouts drop to two per week?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 09:59 AM  
buffmama

I did the whole program back in 2010. I know she filmed it again after I had finished. I don't think the workouts changed. I didn't have a plan for the 'off' days, I just did whatever - pilates, yoga, Cathe.

After I was done with Live Fit I went on to Lorna Kleidman's Body Sculpting book. That is strength based and has 3 phases. I think I had to stop somewhere in phase 3 due to an injury (I can't remember what, so nothing terrible). I think I increased weight when I shouldn't have, but I remember thinking that I needed some different types of movement in addition to what her program entailed. I try to remember that even now when I combine rotations. By alternating weeks I get the best of 2 worlds,am less competitive with myself, and give my body a chance to heal from the different demands I place on it.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
livefit revolution