Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-05, 11:50 AM  
cmhazlett

I personally find that interval training is most effective when I want to lose weight.

Claire
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 05:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyalex
This is only MY PERSONAL theory, but to back it up, there was a dramatic difference in my results doing all Cathe and other similarly intense workouts compared to my present plan of doing low to moderate intensity cardio and lower intensity weights and pilates work. I would recommend mixing up the intensities to keep your body guessing -- AND to help control the hunger and tiredness factor.
hello abby,

what is the average duration of your workout in a given day, and how many times a week do you workout? just curious.

EDITED TO ADD: abby - nevermind - i saw your post in the other thread. thanks anyway.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 11:58 AM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew
I walked 3 miles 5 days a week, just at a normal pace.
I found that when I was walking home from work, 49 St. to 110 St., just about 3 miles thru Manhattan, in a couple of months people started commenting on how I was losing weight! Unfortunately my office moved, but I am one of those for whom steady-state walking has never failed. I do plateau easily though, so sometimes I need those workout videos with intensity bursts or circuit training--but if I had my druthers, I would still be walking those 3 miles!

--acey
acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 03:51 PM  
GIZMO
VF Supporter

I have been at a plateau for 2 years. This past February I started to train for a 10k and have been running 3x per week (15 miles total). With no changes to diet, I have lost close to 10 pounds. I highly recommend running!
GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 11:18 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I find that interval training works great, but you do risk injury more than if you do steady state aerobics. So, depending on how much weight you need to lose, I would recommend doing steady state most days because you can be more consistent with it.

If you only have a few pounds to lose, I would recommend adding interval training once or twice a week to up the intensity, but not at the expense of your steady state training. I do think you need at least four days of aerobics to lose body fat.

Edited to add: I have nothing against interval training except that it can sometimes cause injury forcing a person to stop completely. If this isn't a problem for you. Go for it!
Old 05-30-05, 11:26 AM  
Bebop

I never know what to believe so I try to play it safe and mix it up. I happen to love high intensity but when I have the time, I like to do a longer steady state workout.

I've been maintaining this way, and believe me, I don't really follow a strict diet.

I have read that if you want to lose weight, not only do you need cardio, but weight training is important so you can build muscle that will burn calories all day and keep your metabolism up.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 12:10 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyalex
OK, here's my theory on the intensity matter, based on my personal experience plus stories I've read on this site --

When you do nothing but high intensity cardio, your body gets accustomed to that level. so over time it takes more and more intensity to get your heart rate up enough to reach your target heart rate zone. So eventually you max out. You are working as hard as you can but only burning minimal calories. If you take a break from that for awhile and do moderate to lower intensity cardio, you will reach a stage when ALL cardio, weight training, pilates, etc. gets you into your target heart rate zone, and ALL of your activity is burning calories and contributing to your weight loss.

This is only MY PERSONAL theory, but to back it up, there was a dramatic difference in my results doing all Cathe and other similarly intense workouts compared to my present plan of doing low to moderate intensity cardio and lower intensity weights and pilates work. I would recommend mixing up the intensities to keep your body guessing -- AND to help control the hunger and tiredness factor.

Abbyalex, I think you've hit my nail right on the head!!! It does pay to mix it up and not be an intensity junkie. Also I've done well when I forgot about the heart rate monitor and threw in some lunch time walks.
Old 05-30-05, 03:58 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I lost 19 lbs this year by watching the D word and doing cardio on a daily basis. Personally, I prefer a mix of high intensity (running, kickboxing and spinning) and low intensity (walking, dance, dance and more dance) workouts. The key thing is to look for a cardio workout that you enjoy doing.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 04:13 PM  
rorysmom

two suggestions

rebounding: walking, marching, jogging, kicking, and jumping. to television, videos, or music.

incline treadmill walking.
rorysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 10:44 AM  
hannahsmom

Best Cardio

For me, I really mix things up a lot. It's weird but I think taking breaks from exercise every now and then really helps a lot too. This site taught me cardio is the key and I found that's true. Plus I add in strength training (SS, Karen Voight or yoga) and some pilates a few times a week and lost 21 pounds and a ton of inches since Feb. I went from a size 12 to a size 6. I love my treadmill now and I used to hate it but I do a high intense interval routine at least once or twice a week at 45 minutes long and then 2-3 short jogs at about 25-30 minutes only. After my cardio I usually do my short yoga tape for abs.
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, bfl, body for life, low intensity, resting heart rate