Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-04, 07:12 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

When I was doing my 'spark' rotation I was in the best mood EVER, and I really look forward to working out. (and I lost weight!)

This also reminds me of stories of people in the National Weight Control Registry, a national weight study of people successful with weight loss... The majority of them report 'walking' as their main exercise. Not jogging, spinning, etc... Walking.

I have a lot of fun 'moderate' workouts that are going to be getting a LOT more use in the New Year.
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 07:15 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

Isn't it great when you find something that works! It seems to take so long to figure it out sometimes. And I finally know what "spark" means!

I have to agree that lower intensity equals lower appetite though. At least, for me it does. My problem is that I really crave high intensity workouts. For instance, my legs are still tired from yesterday, but I would love to go do a kick butt workout right now! This is probably why when I've not exercised for months at a time my weight stays about the same. Darn appetite!

Andrea
Old 12-01-04, 09:17 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
This also reminds me of stories of people in the National Weight Control Registry, a national weight study of people successful with weight loss... The majority of them report 'walking' as their main exercise. Not jogging, spinning, etc... Walking.

I have a lot of fun 'moderate' workouts that are going to be getting a LOT more use in the New Year.
I've been thinking some along those lines...I did have a more intense rotation planned for after the New Year, but now I'm wondering...

When I was younger, yes, my metabolism was more revved up, but what seemed to keep me at a healthy weight was constant, steady activity...not frenetic stuff, but I didn't really sit around much (two little girls to keep up with) I didn't eat like a pig and I didn't diet. I'm finding, again, that keeping pretty active all day (sparking???) and a moderate workout in the evening, seems to feel more comfortable and maintainable for me and it doesn't hurt the fat loss dept. either. Whatever I do, I will have to keep doing all my life...can't let up just because I reach my goal weight
Old 12-01-04, 10:27 PM  
dvas00

I found a very interesting thing when I started to wear a pedometer. My job is completely sedentary -- medical transcription, which means sitting on my behind and typing 8+ hours a day. Typically, I would do that, do things around my house, drive to the store, etc., and do a fairly intense maybe 45 minute workout of some type. WELL....the pedometer readings I got (mine is rated as an accurate model, but I realize that it is just a gauge) were not good at all...nowhere near the recommended 10,000 steps a day. When I just started concentrating on getting 10,000+ steps a day, I started to get results. Normally, this meant continuing with my workout, but making sure I did LOTS of other steps during the day (short walks, quickie workout segment, just lots of extra movement doing my normal tasks). I think my sedentary work was cancelling out any calorie burn from my workout and mentally I felt like I was doing so much because my workout was intense.
dvas00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 10:56 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas00
I found a very interesting thing when I started to wear a pedometer. My job is completely sedentary -- medical transcription, which means sitting on my behind and typing 8+ hours a day. Typically, I would do that, do things around my house, drive to the store, etc., and do a fairly intense maybe 45 minute workout of some type. WELL....the pedometer readings I got (mine is rated as an accurate model, but I realize that it is just a gauge) were not good at all...nowhere near the recommended 10,000 steps a day. When I just started concentrating on getting 10,000+ steps a day, I started to get results. Normally, this meant continuing with my workout, but making sure I did LOTS of other steps during the day (short walks, quickie workout segment, just lots of extra movement doing my normal tasks). I think my sedentary work was cancelling out any calorie burn from my workout and mentally I felt like I was doing so much because my workout was intense.
I can REALLY relate to this! My job is completely sedentary too (I'm a technical writer). I was shocked at how few steps I was getting when I bought a pedometer. I have since made a point of taking the stairs, parking further away, and trying to talk to lunch (and coffee) every day. It makes a difference in how I feel. If I don't get that extra activity in, I don't feel as good.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:47 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

My job is up an down, some days I'm running around all over the place and some days I'm sitting at the workbench or at my desk (or meetings, perish the thought) all day. I tried a pedometer a while back and found that some days I got in 10,000 steps at work without even trying and others I was lucky to get 2000. Maybe I should get a new pedometer. My first one was an el cheapo one that didn't work consistently. Since my work hours changed last spring I've gotten into the habit of going for a walk on my lunch break. It's very refreshing. I walk to work more often too because it's always light when I go in. It is really tough these days to bust out of the sedentary life, even if you do spend an hour working out. Especially if you have sedentary hobbies too like internet browsing or knitting or reading.

Any suggestion for good pedometers?
Old 12-02-04, 06:19 AM  
horsemom2

heartrate monitor

The only time I use my HRM obsessively is when building an aerobic base or working out exclusively at low-moderate intensity for several weeks/months.
Once that base is built, perceived exertion becomes a better resource for me because my heartrates are so much lower when fit that I will workout too intensely, even overtrain, if I use the HRM as my only guide for intensity.
How do I know? My 55 year old joints tell me so LOL

Barb S
who enjoys workingout and has plenty of time to workout so prefers keeping most of it low
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 06:34 AM  
dsr5

I could have also written this myself...

I discovered this to be true for me this summer. I was burned out, unhealthy and discovered anemia issues. Cut waaaaay back and am now happier and healthier than I have felt in along time. I try to workout every day, but lower intensity things that I like to do.

With clean eating, it has not affected my weight much.

Keep up the good work.

Donna
dsr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 06:58 AM  
jlar

Burnout

I got married in September and I was focused on watching my diet and exercising and couting down the days and not meeting my goals that I was just anxious, frusterated, and really disappointed, plus I didn't lose a pound. It's such a relief to not have to deal with that pressure any more. Now all I focus on is week by week goals: 5 w/o's, 3 abs, 3 cardio & 2 wts or AWT and I don't feel the need to do killer w/o's every time. I have been meeting all these goals and I feel great, even if I am only doing 30 minutes, that's okay. And those weeks that I don't get in the 5, oh well, there's always next week. Now I haven't seen the scale move but I feel better and my arms and abs look better. Sometimes we are just so hard on ourselves that we ruin the whole experience, it's not just physical it's mental as well.

jlar
jlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 08:08 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm going to try this idea.

For several years, I've been doing hour workouts; weight stayed the same. But at 160, that's way too much. So I tried Cathe to up the intensity. I always hurt and was exhausted. For the past two months then, I've been trying workouts that keep my heartrate in a low-to-moderate intensity but for longer times which usually meant stringing together some workouts. But my heartrate is normally so low that keeping it in a training zone is still to intense -- and I'm gaining weight! So maybe this plan is the way to go.
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low intensity, success stories