Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-15, 05:45 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyalex View Post
I really don't agree with you. I think my lessened appetite is a direct result of lessened workout intensity, which was CAUSING an increase in appetite.

Wrong. I am not one of these people who "forget" to eat when I am busy. For one thing, being a type 1 diabetic, I have to take in a certain amount of carbohydrates every few hours, so even when I'm in the middle of something (i.e. work, rehearsal, etc.), I have to grab something to keep my blood sugar from crashing. There is no such thing as skipping meals and snacks in my world. But before, when I was exercising intensely, I was eating pretty substantial, high calorie meals and snacks ------ now that my exercise intensity has decreased and therefore, my appetite, I am just sipping juice or grabbing a box of raisins. And not because I'm hungry, just because my blood sugar says I need to.

I just wanted to clear that up.
It's the same for me. I've experimented on myself over the course of a couple years, never letting my weight swing too far one way or the other. Higher intensity leaves me starving and turns me into a frumpy post menopausal old lady. Shorter, less intense workouts with lots of daily movement leaves me less hungry and that creates with a leaner body that I love. It goes against everything we've been spoon fed by the folks who sell us those killer workouts but for me it's true. I can't out run what I can eat and on high intensity all I want to do is eat!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 06:50 AM  
hotncmom

Hey, I noticed this thread is really old. What is PHH?

The theme of this thread holds true for me too. I slim down quite a bit, with nice definition, with walking (which is key), rebounding, yoga, floorwork, and light weights. I had a great routine a few years ago that really worked. I've been back to work for the last couple of years so I'm a lot more sedentary, and not as consistent, so I'm not where I want to be, but I'm taking action now to simplify life and create routines to get more exercise in. I've committed to walking every night after dinner, for instance. If I have time, I try to walk after breakfast too.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 06:55 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

High intensity, more than stimulating hunger, just makes me want to lie on the couch for the rest of the day! Which is generally unhelpful.

There is certainly more to weight loss than calories in/out.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:02 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Hey, I noticed this thread is really old. What is PHH?
Beachbody's Power Half Hour. It was new then.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:16 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
High intensity, more than stimulating hunger, just makes me want to lie on the couch for the rest of the day! Which is generally unhelpful.
Same here. It also stimulates my appetite for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
There is certainly more to weight loss than calories in/out.
This is the key. I would also say there is more than one way to lose weight, depending on your body and what it needs. Some lose weight with intensity and heavy weights, others, like me, do not.

And I think you certainly can get high intensity with low(er) impact~just depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.
Old 08-28-15, 07:31 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

There have been studies that found women got hungrier after intense exercise than men do. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...fd1_story.html

Sometimes a hard workout makes me famished, other times it doesn't; it's really hit or miss. I've gotten good results with not-so-killer workouts. IMO a lot of "advanced" workouts are unnecessary overkill.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:33 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
imo a lot of "advanced" workouts are unnecessary overkill.
ita

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 08-28-15, 08:00 AM  
donnamp

Old thread revival - but I have found the same thing to be true.

I was at my heaviest and bulkiest in the late '90's early 2000's when I did FIRM workouts (and also some Cathe and other advanced instructors) almost every day - due to various reasons (some physical, some practical - lack of time, energy, etc.) I have lowered the intensity of my workouts over the years and I am now - at almost 48- as lean as I was when I was a runner in H.S./College (I don't run any more either!!) My body is less achey and I do have a better control over my appetite and what I eat. I'm not sure if it is physical or psychological - maybe a little bit of both - the mindset of "I worked out really hard so I can eat X, Y and Z" or hunger from more intense workouts - is gone.

As much as I loved the FIRM workouts (and still have great respect for their creativity and fun factor!) at the time, I don't think they ultimately did my body any favors. For whatever reason - genetics, body type, etc. my body is much happier and performs better w/ lower intensity, lighter weight/body weight type work. I also think that due to my body structure and some imbalances I have, doing heavier weight workouts just caused my body to become more imbalanced and dysfunctional.

Right now I'm mainly walking and doing Classical Stretch w/ some Pilates, Fusion, Jessica Smith, barre, etc. thrown in here and there.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 08:21 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Old thread revival - but I have found the same thing to be true.

I was at my heaviest and bulkiest in the late '90's early 2000's when I did FIRM workouts (and also some Cathe and other advanced instructors) almost every day - due to various reasons (some physical, some practical - lack of time, energy, etc.) I have lowered the intensity of my workouts over the years and I am now - at almost 48- as lean as I was when I was a runner in H.S./College (I don't run any more either!!) My body is less achey and I do have a better control over my appetite and what I eat. I'm not sure if it is physical or psychological - maybe a little bit of both - the mindset of "I worked out really hard so I can eat X, Y and Z" or hunger from more intense workouts - is gone.

As much as I loved the FIRM workouts (and still have great respect for their creativity and fun factor!) at the time, I don't think they ultimately did my body any favors. For whatever reason - genetics, body type, etc. my body is much happier and performs better w/ lower intensity, lighter weight/body weight type work. I also think that due to my body structure and some imbalances I have, doing heavier weight workouts just caused my body to become more imbalanced and dysfunctional.

Right now I'm mainly walking and doing Classical Stretch w/ some Pilates, Fusion, Jessica Smith, barre, etc. thrown in here and there.

Donna
I can also relate to this - big time! That said, I've come to realize that for me - and this may very possibly not apply to you Donna - it was the way I used the Firm that bulked me up. Did I really need to use 15-30 pound dumbbells? Did I need to team up the 90 day Rotation with those heavy weights and marathon training? Probably not. I think it was my need to continually lift heavier and workout longer that turned me into chubby little muscle head not the Firm.

I still use the Firm when I want a blast from the past workout. I use lighter weights and enjoy the heck out them. I sometimes choose to split them into two different sessions. It's all the fun without the overkill.

Last edited by Lannette; 08-28-15 at 08:22 AM. Reason: to clarify
Old 08-28-15, 08:30 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Every time someone posts about this (new or old), I'm amazed and encouraged. I'm one of our chronic on-again/off-again exercisers, and I'm not sure I wouldn't have just given up ages ago, if it weren't for so many people extolling the virtues of lower intensity, more happy-making workouts.

Even after all this, I STILL can't quite shake the feeling that if I do a 30-40min Jessica Smith workout, I'm slacking and should really dig out my FIRMs and do some REAL exercise. I have to remind myself ALL THE TIME.

So, I'm very grateful to those of you who remind us of your experiences often - I think it's slowly sinking in, and it certainly brings me back to starting out slow when I've had a break.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Sassy; 08-28-15 at 08:31 AM. Reason: missing words
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, doing less, exercise intensity, intensity, low intensity, maffetone method, old thread alert, results, successful weight loss