Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-22, 10:27 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Has anyone had gall bladder surgery?

I'm scheduled to have mine removed on May 9th. It will be laparoscopic so I'm told that will be easier. Just wondering if anyone has been through it.
Old 04-28-22, 11:52 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I had mine out laparoscopically three years ago and my husband had his out 13 years ago. I had some rough digestive issues afterward for a year or so but I think mine were more related to perimenopause than the surgery. My husband never had any problems after.

I eat a very balanced diet now and haven't had any problems since I lightened my meals. It took a few weeks to recover from the surgery but I was back to walking soon after and working out a few months after that.

Best of luck to you!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-22, 12:15 PM  
Izzy

I had mine out in 2009. Once they realized that it need to be removed, they originally scheduled it about 2 weeks from then but I got so sick a few days later and a friend rushed me to ER and I proceeded to vomit all over the place. Because they thought it was going to burst they did an emergency surgery. They were trying to reach the doctor who was in route and the last I heard the ER doctor saying "we can't wait" and the lights went out for me. Because of this I was in the hospital for 4 days. This is unusual and not typical. I was home another 5 days and started walking after a week. I had to wait 6 weeks to exercise. I have not had any issues since except that my "system" is sensitive to oils, fried foods, peanut butter, mayo, salad dressing etc.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-28-22, 04:44 PM  
jackie7

Easiest surgery ever. I had to stay overnight because my gallbladder was turning gangrene and they wanted to give me iv antibiotics.

I felt tired afterwards, but once I drank my protein shakes, I felt better

Good luck
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-22, 06:12 PM  
MathTeacher

I had mine taken out 4 years ago. I went in at 6 am and was home by noon. I felt better almost immediately.

I have few weird digestive issues that I never had before. I can't eat green beans or corn. Ribs are absolutely out of the question.
Old 04-28-22, 06:25 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I had mine out this year (scheduled outpatient, not emergency). Easiest surgery ever, though I only can compare it to my one other surgery which was a non-laparoscopic appendectomy).

Back to the gall bladder surgery though, hardly any pain upon waking. Took some ibuprofen the first couple days I think just in case. Felt pretty much back to normal within a few days. Was just tired the first few days after. No digestive or dietary changes. Not sure when I resumed exercise.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-22, 06:25 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

On January 12, 2021, I had a normal day. After dinner, I had pain slam into me like I've never experienced. I ended up in the emergency room and they diagnosed it as a gallstones attack and told me I had to have my gallbladder out. I heard that most gallstone attacks recede after 5-6 hours. Mine never really went away. They operated the next morning and took it out laparoscopically. I got home about 7:30 pm that evening, about 25 hours after the attack started.

The rest of it was pretty easy. I took pain meds for a couple of days and then went to Tylenol and stopped that after a few more days. I was up and about after a couple of days - slow and easy and not picking up much - but doing pretty well. I haven't changed anything about my diet.

The weird thing is that my mom went through almost the exact same experience in having hers out.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 02:30 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to know what to expect from people who exercise regularly.
Old 05-03-22, 06:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good luck. I hope it all goes smoothly and you bounce back quickly!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gall bladder, surgery