Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-20, 06:12 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

On a light-hearted note, DO NOT let your your cats think that your getting in the floor is to give them attention. Your exercise attempts will be thwarted every time unless you want to make a “lifting cats” workout.

Floor work with my cats is like a bizarre game of Twister.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 06:15 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Hmm, good question...

I'm 60 and basically I've been exercising since I was 18. Though it has morphed along the way. My 20s were full of heavy weight training, my early 30s were learning to work out at home with a newborn in the house (but I found The Firm so that was perfect). The 40s brought me Cathe and I was totally a Cathe addict for years. Also, got into spinning with my Revmaster.

I found I had to slow down a bit in my 50s strangely enough. I couldn't do my 3 hr spin bike rides anymore or I could but it took more out of me than usual. I attribute it all to menopause honestly.

And my 60s so far have had me moving more "inward" in terms of my workouts these days are composed mostly of walking and lots of yoga. I haven't totally given up the weights, but I'm getting far more enjoyment from yoga so that's what I'm going with. I thought my core had gotten stronger with pilates, but I really am noticing a difference in my strength when it comes to yoga.

So all that to say, I think the basic rule of thumb is to always keep moving. However, you want to do it - walking, dancing, swimming, weight lifting. And if you find yourself getting bored, switch things around a bit here and there. For instance, right now I'm really into yoga - but 3 months from now, I may switch my focus onto weight training and barre work.

It's all good

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 08:14 PM  
wendug

Lots of great advice everyone. Thanks for posting your wisdom. I'm inching toward 50 and plan to keep moving as long as I can!
Old 07-28-20, 10:00 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I've got three more weeks of being 66. Definitely the getting up and down off the floor thing, absolutely necessary. Balance, being able to walk on uneven surfaces and catch yourself if you lose your balance is essential.

Keep up your strength training and core strength, it doesn't have to be heavy to be effective.

Do something every day. It doesn't have to be full out, but make time to move and move things. Gardening is wonderful.

I worked out at home for 25 years before leaving Hawaii and returning to CA. Since then I was using a community gym for strength but I'm going to have to cough up the dough for now very expensive weights because I'm not going near a gym for the foreseeable future.

Final word of advice: don't get clumsy in the garden and trip over your trellis on the ground like I did. Two months after falling like a sack of potatoes on my left shoulder I'm still working with the injury. Not fun.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 05:56 AM  
Carol K

I am 63 and have been doing FIRM workouts for 31 years and working out consistently for 14 years. My advice would be that the only way to prevent aches and pains is to move every day. This is on top of the bone and heart health benefits. The challenge is to find something that you enjoy doing, that is both weight-bearing and cardiovascular and figure out how to be consistent. For me, consistency is dependent on following a rotation that someone else designed. It took me 17 years to figure this out. But if you want a long, pain-free existence, you absolutely have to move.
Old 07-29-20, 07:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

It's okay to take naps and rest more. I always feel guilty if I'm too tired to get a decent workout or I need a Sunday morning to just sleep in. But I end up having more energy for it, and end up getting in a stronger workout.

I'm probably not the only one who needs a little more downtime at this age. Just make it part of your fitness routine and then get up and enjoy the benefits!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 08:12 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
On a light-hearted note, DO NOT let your your cats think that your getting in the floor is to give them attention. Your exercise attempts will be thwarted every time unless you want to make a “lifting cats” workout.

Floor work with my cats is like a bizarre game of Twister.
_____
YADeb
I am totally familiar with that! They also want to "help" with yoga.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 09:27 AM  
jcmclean

I’m buying the easier Beachbody programs I bypassed when younger. Mixing and matching my fitness is starting to improve again and I’m enjoying the respite of the easier stuff.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 11:20 AM  
Scorpio6

4 Important Basics

I'm 71.

Squat every day.
Bend over and touch your toes every day, center floor, then R foot, L foot, then center.
Do the figure 4 stretch with ankle to opposite knee every day.
And several times a week, lie flat on your stomach on the bed with your pelvis pressed to the bed, legs stretched out, and chest/head propped up for several minutes (like a little kid watching TV).
That's it.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 11:30 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Oh I love this thread! I'm 63 and will turn 64 in a couple of months. Those young whippersnappers better listen to us seasoned veterans, right?

I totally agree with the "balance" suggestion, as well as the "posture" one. Both should not be ignored.

Someone also mentioned strength training. SO important for so many reasons. I'm a member of a lot of running groups on Facebook, and a lot of those runners just want to clock the most miles they can. Their idea of success is to count mileage and end up with as many as possible. They run day after day, without doing anything else. I do my best to impart to them that this will not work out well long term unless they cross train. And interestingly enough, a lot of these high mileage runners who don't cross train are always injured or in pain. Go figure!

My other two would be nutrition and rest. I haven't always been the best about rest, and still struggle with it, but I know the benefits. And nutrition... it's just the fountain of youth. Good, whole, non processed food with plenty of protein, complex carbs and veggies will fuel your body, keep you healthy and looking great well into your later years.

Tags
aging, balance, get up off floor, over 50, posture, sit stand test, vintage vfers