Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-20, 02:03 PM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I know I am in the middle of perimenopause -- mid 40s, gained 20 pounds in two years (all in my stomach), went up 2 bra sizes and cup sizes, lots of iron and vitamin deficiencies, really wonky and bizarre symptoms that I never had before, nerve issues, digestion issues, poor sleep, sleep apnea, horrible PMS, irregular cycle lengths, very heavy periods, the list goes on and on!

Has anyone successfully lost any weight *during* perimenopause? I can't do heavy weights anymore, I can't do high impact cardio. I am just coming off a year of medical issues, so I'm just getting back into working out. My digestion has been very poor since I had my gallbladder out last year. I still have anemia since I can't digest iron pills, so I've been really trying to eat really nutrient dense foods since last year. So unfortunately, cutting back on foods kind of isn't in the cards right now.

I'm just feeling like this perimenopause train is running me over and quite literally nothing works anymore!
I am sorry that you are suffering. I have lost about 50 lbs in the last year. I will be 48 in a month. I gained weight due to stress eating. The weight loss is 100% due to me consuming less calories and nothing to do with exercise.

My biggest symptoms from perimenopause have been sleep disturbance and digestive issues. I have tried practicing good sleep hygiene (did nothing but mine wasn't too bad to start with), melatonin (weird dreams but no help with staying asleep) and a prescription (weird dreams and morning sleepiness but no help staying asleep). Both my sister and mom have the same thing. I can fall asleep no problem. I just can't stay asleep.

TMI Warning! - I also got constipation despite eating enough fiber and drinking enough water. Miralax has been my miracle cure. I only have to take it every few days. My doctor explained it as the same mechanism that causes other parts of your body to dry out can cause your digestive system to dry out in menopause.

I have a hormonal IUD so thankfully I don't have a cycle. Mine were horrendous since I went through puberty.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 04:43 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I lost 45 lbs over 6 years ago at 56 years old but it was all about being extremely strict with my eating. It was hard for me to be so strict all the time and some weight did come back. I am trying to be a little more mindful with my eating, mainly just avoiding the junky type of food and making healthier choices in general. This may just be a coincidence along with the eating, but I amped up my walking last week from 45 minutes to closer to an hour a couple of my walking days and I am down a few lbs this week. I know weight fluctuates a few lbs on a daily basis but this is a number I haven't seen in over 3 months. I'm hoping it's a trend in the right direction. I do weights and pilates a few times a week too but in my case I think it's the longer walks that work for me along with the better eating of course.
This is all very much in line with that video I posted earlier.
Old 02-20-20, 09:28 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
This is all very much in line with that video I posted earlier.
Yes. I did watch that video when you posted it. I was looking through my workout logs from the year I lost all the weight and I was moving a lot back then, walking every day, sometimes twice a day, doing short bursts of activity or kettlebell swings every day, short weight workouts. It was hard to keep that activity level up on a daily basis through the years but I'm trying to be more active 7 days a week.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 09:37 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Yes. I did watch that video when you posted it. I was looking through my workout logs from the year I lost all the weight and I was moving a lot back then, walking every day, sometimes twice a day, doing short bursts of activity or kettlebell swings every day, short weight workouts. It was hard to keep that activity level up on a daily basis through the years but I'm trying to be more active 7 days a week.
From what I understood, they found that exercise didn't make a huge difference, or any difference, when it came to actual weight loss.

It did, however, make a major difference in maintaining. They mentioned mainly 60 minutes a day, sometimes 90 minutes. Knowing me, when I eventually and hopefully reach my desired weight, I'll need 90 minutes. Walking was mentioned most of all. Short bursts, as you mention, are ideal. I just need to focus on losing first.
Old 02-20-20, 09:42 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
From what I understood, they found that exercise didn't make a huge difference, or any difference, when it came to actual weight loss.

It did, however, make a major difference in maintaining. They mentioned mainly 60 minutes a day, sometimes 90 minutes. Knowing me, when I eventually and hopefully reach my desired weight, I'll need 90 minutes. Walking was mentioned most of all. Short bursts, as you mention, are ideal. I just need to focus on losing first.
Yes I see. I didn't continue with that level of activity after I lost the weight so that's probably why some of the weight did eventually return. Very interesting. I would say I was probably doing 90 minutes a day back then.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 10:26 AM  
fanofladyvols

My take on the video was just how important the setting of goals and creating an environment of positivity plays in staying healthy.

Watching it explained why since I established other goals and challenges for myself that I developed a more positive outlook and view of my body. The movement even more necessary as my body became more efficient with what I used as fuel. Surrounding myself with friends who reinforced each other with positivity helped me focus on other ways I could make better choices about how I spent my time and who I spent it with. Exercise is the main way I stay Gucci because it's the best way to be good to me.

Whether I ever saw my waist and thighs back was killing my motivation.

Whether I can walk faster/longer, get stronger, hike with my friends without injuring myself as long as I can in my life..now those are goals that help me keep my mojo.

I thought those were the most important thoughts reinforced to me and what I gleaned from the video.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 04:47 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Yes I see. I didn't continue with that level of activity after I lost the weight so that's probably why some of the weight did eventually return. Very interesting. I would say I was probably doing 90 minutes a day back then.
As crazy as it may sound, I've been thinking and have come up with a plan for myself. I will focus much less on exercise until I am closer to my desired goal. My main focus will be diet and eating less. The closer that I get to my desired weight, the more I will amp up the exercise duration. So, for example, I will do one mile of Leslie/Jessica Smith walking every day for now. As the weight hopefully comes off and as I am close to maintaining, I will then do 4-5 miles. I used to do the reverse. I've lost and regained weight all through my adult life. I'm tired of it. My plan has now changed. Diet first, exercise second. Right now, I can easily do 5 miles of Leslie/Jessica in my sleep, but I'm holding back in order to focus more on eating less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
My take on the video was just how important the setting of goals and creating an environment of positivity plays in staying healthy.

Watching it explained why since I established other goals and challenges for myself that I developed a more positive outlook and view of my body. The movement even more necessary as my body became more efficient with what I used as fuel. Surrounding myself with friends who reinforced each other with positivity helped me focus on other ways I could make better choices about how I spent my time and who I spent it with. Exercise is the main way I stay Gucci because it's the best way to be good to me.

Whether I ever saw my waist and thighs back was killing my motivation.

Whether I can walk faster/longer, get stronger, hike with my friends without injuring myself as long as I can in my life..now those are goals that help me keep my mojo.

I thought those were the most important thoughts reinforced to me and what I gleaned from the video.
You are correct. Mindset is the key. A good support system helps also.
Old 02-27-20, 08:16 AM  
toomuchjoy

Thanks for posting that video. I found it a bit interesting that they were teaming up with Extreme Weight Loss show. That was in 2015, I wonder if they found whether there losing weight quickly was detrimental to weight maintenance.
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss