Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-03, 07:18 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Karen -- I just bought some phyto-estrogen cream (herbal version of estrogen) to see if that helps strengthen the wall. Saw on-line that some say it helps. I figured it was worth a try.

Also, I spoke with my OBGYN today at length about all that I've researched, what he sees going on with me, etc. and he recommended during my "wait and see" period trying some medication that would help regulate the bladder and help with the incontinence-- so now I have some Detrol LA. I know I've seen those commercials and always pictured older people needing it -- oh well! We shall see if it makes any difference.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 10:38 PM  
gerrie

LovingLife

My surgery was not abdominal. I had a posterior compartment repair. More specifically a colporrhaphy(correction of rectocele) and perineorraphy(correction of perineum and opening of vagina). Many women with stress incontinence are going to have an anterior compartment repair. There are also cental compartment repairs and combined compartment repairs. Try to get a text of operative gynecology because there are many pelvic floor "defects" and a text will explain their differences and the different repairs. But be prepared to be very frightened by photos of total uterine prolapse and vaginal eversion. You see a picture of women's uterus and vagina falling OUTSIDE of her body and you will kegel forever.

The kegelmaster is not difficult to learn to use, it will come with instructions. Instead of the squeezing fist from the FIRM videos, visualize the fist squeezing a grip strengthener.

If sneezing and coughing are a problem, try to train yourself to kegel as you actually sneeze or cough.

Be wary of hysterectomy for relief of stress incontinence. Some studies have shown older women without their uterus are more likely not less likely to have leakage problems. The thinking is that the uterus may help support the bladder.
gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-03, 09:36 AM  
junemom
VF Supporter

thanks for all this

Although I'm cringing a bit here, I'm really glad we are discussing this. I imagine that many, many women who have had children have the same problem but never really know it because they don't do the same kind of high impact stuff that many of us do. I never really "noticed" the problem until after my third child, when I started running, even though I'm sure it began with my twin birth.

Can anyone be specific about herbal supplements? And, what exactly is the detrol supposed to do?

Christine
junemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-03, 10:58 AM  
dansamy

Question

Maybe this is a stupid question................But is this problem mostly found in women who delivered vaginally? All 3 of my children were c-section deliveries. I have minor 'leakage' problems, but I'm unsure of the cause. IS there enough pressure from the weight of the pregnancy to cause a minor problem with the pelvic musculature? My leakage has gotten better with time and kegels.

Amelia
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-03, 03:28 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

It's not a stupid question (remember the teachers saying "there are no stupid questions," although I'm sure there are). But this is a hushed up, confusing area, I think. I'd always thought only old, old people got this, so I've been learning as I go along.

But yes, it's from l births. I've read that it's also caused by smoking, being very overweight, and from low estrogen levels in menopause. Fortunately those latter 3 categories can be remedied or prevented -- not so with the births (especially when they're in the past ).

As for the Detrol LA, it's a medication for overactive bladders. This is only my second day taking it and it takes awhile to kick in, so I don't know if it will work for me or not, but maybe it's that commercial where the woman is on jury duty and keeps having to go to the bathroom -- and they sing that dumb "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go" song. Maybe it helps the bladder have more control? I don't know. My OB said it wouldn't cure my problem, but would make me more comfortable for now.

Gerrie -- You mentioned that link of hysterectomies to incontinence at the end -- did you have a hysterectomy too and have you experienced that result or did you solely have the other pelvic floor repair work done. My OB told me yesterday that he would do mine lly (if I chose to do one)-- I was thinking he was talking abdominal incisions before. So that's a bit better in my eyes. I asked about having the work done w/o a hysterectomy and he said that he could certainly do that, but that the uterus tend to push everything down again and can reverse the work done sometime down the road.

So I'm curious if anyone has had the tucks w/o the hysterectomy.

Or if you had the hysterectomy too, did you experience hormonal imbalances as a result. A friend of mine just had one in October and had extreme hormonal imbalances (w/the ovaries in tact, which is supposed to prevent this from happening). I asked my OB about this and he asked how old she is (late 40s, maybe early 50s) and attributed it more to what her body was likely to soon experience anyway. Hmm. So I'm curious if younger women experienced anything similar. Anyone?

Still tempted to try out the Kegal exercisers though. Question for those of you using them (do I ever stop with the questions??? ) -- Did any of you have serious prolapse before using them? Does the prolapsed bladder get in the way of being able to use it or does it just push that bladder out of the way on its own?

-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
Old 01-30-03, 04:16 PM  
Sindaena

Actually, it's my understanding that the pressure of pregnancy actually causes most of the stretching damage to the pelvic floor, not the births themselves and that studies showed no difference in muscle tone there six months postpartum between vaginal and ceasarean births. Actual tearing might be a problem in vaginal birth, but the stretch damage is primarily done by the constant weight during pregnancy.

I've had 4 vaginal births and, while I definitely notice weknes down there, I'm not to the point of leaking yet. But I haven't noticed kegels helping either. Hmmm, guess I might try one of those devices myself.

Elizabeth
Old 01-30-03, 04:18 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Has anyone ever tried Teresa Tapp's Organs in Place?

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-03, 04:29 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I haven't tried her tape, but that sounds interesting. That yoga link was interesting too -- it mainly had inverted / upside-down poses -- perhaps to give a reverse gravity effect?

That's probably true that pregnancy alone can contribute to the stretching. That incontinence book said that c-section patients are less likely to have the prolapse, but perhaps that doesn't eliminate them altogether. Those who've used forceps are supposed to be highly likely to have problems afterwards. My pushing stages have all been sooooo fast that I wonder if the speed of it brings more likelyhood to tearing internally (less gradual stretching).

-- Cathe

Old 01-30-03, 04:33 PM  
junemom
VF Supporter

yoga link?

renee-what yoga link? I would love to check out some helpful yoga poses...

Christine
junemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-03, 05:33 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Re: I have the same problem...

Quote:
Originally posted by sandym
(three kids delivered lly) but no "leakage" more pain and pressure. I hava found several sure things that bring on pain and discomfort a) lifting weights over 10 lbs. b) Traditional ab work (crunches etc). I have read that this increases the intra abdominal pressure causing pressure on the pelvic area. Here is a good website specifically about prolapse. I think it is an Australian site http://groups.msn.com/ChoiceforProla...pgmarket=en-au

Also a thing to consider: I read on some medical sites that even if you have the surgery you are advised never to lift anything over 20 lbs. or you could be right back where you started.
If you go to this link that Sandy provided, there's another link about yoga. Here's the specific yoga link, but check out the other -- it has some good information too.

http://www.menstruation.com.au/menop...aprolapse.html

-- Cathe

Tags
pelvic floor dysfunction, pelvic prolapse