Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-18, 12:38 PM  
warriorprincess

I also wonder about the plateau. I seem to plateau a lot sooner than I would expect. Do other people just have a lot more willpower than me? Is my form off? I keep going as heavy as I can, but it rarely increases any more. And I still can't come close to doing a pull up, which I find frustrating.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 03:06 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
When I was seriously doing Cathe and some other rotations, would go heavier and heavier. Used to think, when will I stop going to progressively heavier weights? Your body will plateau --It's not like you will be benching 300, right?
I'd suppose so, or else we'd be hearing about ever-increasing records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I also wonder about the plateau. I seem to plateau a lot sooner than I would expect. Do other people just have a lot more willpower than me? Is my form off? I keep going as heavy as I can, but it rarely increases any more. And I still can't come close to doing a pull up, which I find frustrating.
I don't have anything that'd be more specific than general advice or suggestions, but at the least I noticed that you're engaging what at least seem like your current "limits."

Your post reminds me of a contrasting pattern. I don't know if there've actually been more of these posts on VF or if I'm simply noticing (and remembering) more of them, but I've noticed several posts in recent months that imply that someone is no longer doing something because of that person's age. Some posts even imply that people in general (not just the poster) should stop doing something because of age per se.

Of course, I do not encourage unwise reactions to genuine limitation, but I disfavor connecting such limitations to age in itself. Doing so reminds me of some thoughts mentioned in the original article, those limiting thoughts about what "older people" or "older women" can do. (In some later post I still intend to post about things like Ruth Bader Ginsburg's workouts and what other older people have been doing in studies.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 12:43 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Another inspiring woman, a 71 yo powerlifter. I love her attitude!
https://www.facebook.com/bbcoxford/v...9678118898042/

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 02:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Awesome! She is the same age as my mom. I feel the same way about being "bad at sports" when I was younger...now that I'm 50, I think I've probably left most of my formerly athletic peers in the dust.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 03:20 PM  
warriorprincess

That range of motion!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 03:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Another inspiring woman, a 71 yo powerlifter. I love her attitude!
https://www.facebook.com/bbcoxford/v...9678118898042/
Wow! She is impressive!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 08:43 PM  
MsThistlebottom

She's amazing! And she looks way younger than 71!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 11:25 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Wow! That is SO inspiring!! Love her range of motion and form. And, I love that she's wearing earrings! (Ever since I started using workout DVDs with the Firm, there's just something appealing to me about jewelry and workouts.) Here's some info on her career.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 12:23 PM  
Holly123

She is quite an inspiration!

And to think she started at 65. My new hero.
Holly123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ernestine shepherd, heavy lifting, lifting, muscle building, over 50, periodization plan, sarcopenia, senior strength training, strength training