Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-17, 01:29 PM  
readcookrun

Hamelin fans, I need advice on Blitzmatics

I've recently become obsessed with HDM. From January to the beginning of March I was doing a Thighmatics rotation and doing whatever I liked for cardio (mostly his cardiotone, some rebounding, hiking, and running). I just started the Blitzmatics rotation. I've done each of the toning and cardio segments about 3-4 times, and it leaves me feeling...not enough. I'm so used to doing rep after rep of TA and Thighmatics. Am I really going to get any results from this? I know there have been many attestations to this on his FB page, but Hamelin checks in there too, so I wonder if there are people who don't get results but don't say so.

I also am itching to try his and other instructor's workouts. (I just discovered a TA-esque workout LEKfit that has a streaming service. And then there's Pilates by Lisa, DanceBody, Fitness Blender, and on and on.)

Please advise.
readcookrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:44 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm a recent Hamelin convert but have only been doing his workouts about as long as you! I just his Blitzmatics workouts but have only been able to get in about four of his workouts a week, so not as consistent as everyone else on his FB group.

Honestly, if I were eating cleaner, I think I would have better results. I just make bad choices when I'm stressed out when it comes to food.

But, I really think Hamelin has a way with his Blitz workouts and they are all I want to do! He seems to have the right balance of everything!

I just have family circumstances that are preventing me from sticking to a consistent schedule right now and I have to travel out of state for a family emergency soon! I plan to pick back up where I left off, when I return.

I believe physical results can happen but everyone's circumstances and lifestyle is different so it's a process for me! I am really enjoying working out again and his workouts do more for my mood than many other workouts I've tried. I'm just hooked and don't want to go back to my other DVDs.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 06:25 PM  
readcookrun

Hi Pam

Thanks for your reply. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this with your family. I hope everything will be okay!

I'm glad you love Blitzmatics so much! I don't feel too worked out by it so that's probably affecting my enjoyment. There have been suggestions on his FB group that the workouts build upon each other and get more challenging, so maybe I should stick it out. Problem is, he recommends that I stay in the same level for 1 month to see results. not sure I can do that! Of course, I preordered his boot camp package anyway!

Hope you can get back to working out soon.
Old 03-16-17, 07:17 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I didn't follow his Blitz New Year rotation like most of his followers, and had only started mixing his workouts into my other workouts in January. Had I done his schedule more strictly cardio/tone each day or alternating the two, I know I would have had some changes.

Having incorporated more floor work, I really felt the DOMS and know I got stronger! And, his arm work with very low weights was really challenging, too!

I was thrilled to find workouts I liked so much. They are just a pleasure to do and he seems like a really great instructor/person, as well!

I think if you're used to balls-to-the-wall type of workouts, this just won't feel like enough, for sure! I was never at that kind of advanced intensity.

Last year, I had been running for my cardio and got injured. Wasn't able to do anything for a long while after. I had to start over and I did so with yoga and Hamelin.

Thank you for your kind works regarding my situation. I appreciate it very much!

Oh, I also ordered the Blitz Bootcamp package. I know I'll have no regrets or disappointments as everything I've done so far has exceeded my expectations! Hamelin is terrific and so creative!

Current Rotation:
Old 03-16-17, 09:02 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by readcookrun View Post
Hi Pam

Thanks for your reply. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this with your family. I hope everything will be okay!

I'm glad you love Blitzmatics so much! I don't feel too worked out by it so that's probably affecting my enjoyment. There have been suggestions on his FB group that the workouts build upon each other and get more challenging, so maybe I should stick it out. Problem is, he recommends that I stay in the same level for 1 month to see results. not sure I can do that! Of course, I preordered his boot camp package anyway!

Hope you can get back to working out soon.
How heavy are your ankle weights? I really feel these workouts & think the ankle weights make a difference. I feel worked but not wiped from these

I have thyroid issues so I'm not losing any weight but i feel tighter so I'm not sure if that falls under no results. I'm enjoying the workouts though.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 08:49 AM  
Suzan66

Are you engaging your legs enough because with 2# ankle weights you should definitely feel worked out when you're done?

I know he says you shouldn't mix other workouts but in all honesty if you want to do it.. do it. Life is too short for rotations you don't really like.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 08:53 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I was going to mention the weight used for toning, as well. A few of the live workouts with 2lb ankle weights and I can really feel it. The standing leg work is so unique with the lunging with weights, too! And, the same with floor work. I can barely get through the 30 reps of each leg exercise. What weights are you using for the arm workouts? Some of those are tough and I really feel it in my shoulders, especially.

Have you progressed from his original Blitzmatics workout to the workouts from his 3 month subscription? I've also been doing cardio from his cardio series, and rebounding, too. What I haven't been able to stick to is the foam rolling after the toning workouts. It's a time issue for me.

Current Rotation:
Old 03-17-17, 11:52 AM  
readcookrun

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I've been using 3 lb weights for the arms, which really work my shoulders and 2 lb ankle weights. It's the lower legs I don't feel as much. I changed to 4 lb ankle weights today and, boy, did I feel it then. Thanks, Sue, for the suggestion. It didn't occur to me but I think I remember reading somewhere that 2-4 lb weights are okay. Of course, when I look back on his email, it doesn't say anything.

Suzan66, I hope I'm engaging enough. Problem is, I find his videos a little boring (sorry!), so after the 1st go, I've muted him and listened to my audiobooks or music. Maybe I should listen to it again.

Pam, it's the small lunging movements and the 1st leg movement where he just steps laterally that have me baffled. Am I supposed to feel something then? I don't have the original Blitzmatics and only splurged on the 1st 3 month one because I kinda went crazy buying A LOT of his old workouts.

I will give it more time, especially since I felt more worked out today. I'm no longer attracted to the make-yourself-puke kind of workouts but I think I got used to the high amount of reps from his Thighmatics and TA.
Old 03-17-17, 03:01 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

It seems to me his Blitzmatics workouts need to used with a challenging amount of weight for the fewer number of reps, while still keeping the weight on the lighter side. His intention (imo) is to design a safer and gentler workout that doesn't require an obscene amount of reps or require high impact cardio. You really notice a difference in the development of his method when you do some of his early workouts. He will take an exercise that might be done over and over, and tweak it so it's better. Or, change it by incorporating pulses that are slower and more controlled. He continues to be inventive, which is what I find so appealing, making a boring exercise seem fresh and new. There's also the mood he creates with his music and natural talent that I find I really like, too! Hamelin's workouts are the kind that keep me coming back for more.

There are so many people who have posted photographic evidence of their results and physical changes with his method. I wouldn't be brave enough to take those kind of photos at my age, LOL! But, I find the women (mostly) very inspiring.

I think of the years, I've tried all the rest whether it be kettlebells, Cathe, Beachbody or whatever the current fitness trend is. I'm excited to see what Hamelin has in store for the future of Blitzmatics.

BTW, I don't see anything wrong with incorporating other workouts that you crave, either. Do what makes you happy! ;-)

Current Rotation:
Old 03-19-17, 05:54 PM  
readcookrun

I don't know what happened but after receiving advice from you guys, I just found my groove with Blitzmatics. I'm looking forward to my workouts each day. Upping the ankle weights definitely helped!

Thanks guys!

Tags
thighmatics