Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-15, 09:27 AM  
cowfishpro

What makes HDM better/different than TAM, Ballet Beautiful, CS/Essentrics, etc.?

I have been a Ballet Beatutiful devotee for the past 3 years, always keeping it in my rotation to some degree. I'm thinking of reintegrating Tracy Anderson back into my rotation with Ballet Beautiful as that leaned me out and pulled in my abs the best of anything I've done.

Now that I'm seeing so many posts about Hamelin D'Abell, you really have my curiosity up about what makes his workouts unique. I'm actually considering trying some of his free stuff.

I appreciate your thoughts on why some may find this method more effective and or safer.

Thank you!
Old 07-12-15, 10:42 AM  
DeepSeaSue

I'm interested to read the replies. I love Ballet Beautiful and got the best lower body results from it. I have a lot of Hamelin's workouts but I haven't stuck with him consistently enough to contribute any results to him. I tried to do a rotation using his free stuff on YouTube last year but I got a bit bored after two weeks But now seeing all the threads about him I'm toying with the idea of doing a Thighmatics/Bodymatics/Glutematics bootcamp. I did have nice results doing his 3 Week Arm Challenge (it's on YouTube) but I think I would have had similar results doing MHB's or TA's arm work every day for 3 weeks.

ETA: I'm wondering if some of the great results that people get from HDM are more from the length of his workouts than from any "secret". When I was getting my great results from BB, I was doing anywhere from 15-45 minutes a day. But some of Hamelin's rotations have you doing 75 minutes (plus additional cardio, if I'm not mistaken) each day. I'm not knocking Hamelin at all, as I really do like him and his workouts. I really am curious to read about people's experiences with his workouts vs some others.
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 05:33 PM  
killoffsonny

I don't know about any of those except for HDM and TAM. I like Hamelin better and think it's because he is more slow and methodical. Tracy just seems to be all over the place. I injured my back doing TAM and quit a couple of years ago after doing her for about six months. HDM is very very similar to TAM except it's different if that makes any sense.
Old 07-12-15, 06:06 PM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

I agree with Becky, Hamelin is more controlled and methodical than Tracy is generally. The workouts I like best from Tracy are more so that way. I have not found myself questioning the reason behind his movements/exercises of choice, they make sense, where with Tracy I sometimes do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I don't know about any of those except for HDM and TAM. I like Hamelin better and think it's because he is more slow and methodical. Tracy just seems to be all over the place. I injured my back doing TAM and quit a couple of years ago after doing her for about six months. HDM is very very similar to TAM except it's different if that makes any sense.
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 06:12 PM  
andtckrtoo

Hamelin has a purpose. I feel that each move is precisely what he wants to do and has a specific purpose.

With TA I feel that she makes stuff up as she goes. Her method works, don't get me wrong, but it's not as precise
Old 07-12-15, 07:19 PM  
NotThatGirl

I've thought about this on and off today and I still am not quite sure how to answer all the parts of it. I agree with everyone so far on why Hamelin is better/different than Tracy. I honestly think she just totally makes stuff up sometimes and that it is just something slightly different than another move so she can keep saying she is coming up with all these thousands of moves or whatever it is she says about her method (don't get me wrong, I still love her and at one time she was my holy grail workout). I really enjoy Essentrics too but in my experience it is more gentle than Hamelin. I feel good after Essentrics, but even if I work hard at it I seldom feel worked out enough afterward...but I am someone who rarely finds an hour of working out to be enough. I end up sitting much more than I would like to during the day so I feel like an hour doesn't come close to counteract the effect of sitting for so long on my body. For me the difference between Ballet Beautiful and Hamelin is that Hamelin works faster. A lot faster. I don't think it is necessarily just doing something new either...I was really mixing up my BB workouts with her newest streaming videos and changing sequences of stuff and I still didn't get as far with that as I have with Hamelin. I still don't plan on chucking BB from my workout line up, but I will be mixing in a lot more of Hamelin.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 07:21 PM  
zellybelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
I've thought about this on and off today and I still am not quite sure how to answer all the parts of it. I agree with everyone so far on why Hamelin is better/different than Tracy. I honestly think she just totally makes stuff up sometimes and that it is just something slightly different than another move so she can keep saying she is coming up with all these thousands of moves or whatever it is she says about her method (don't get me wrong, I still love her and at one time she was my holy grail workout). I really enjoy Essentrics too but in my experience it is more gentle than Hamelin. I feel good after Essentrics, but even if I work hard at it I seldom feel worked out enough afterward...but I am someone who rarely finds an hour of working out to be enough. I end up sitting much more than I would like to during the day so I feel like an hour doesn't come close to counteract the effect of sitting for so long on my body. For me the difference between Ballet Beautiful and Hamelin is that Hamelin works faster. A lot faster. I don't think it is necessarily just doing something new either...I was really mixing up my BB workouts with her newest streaming videos and changing sequences of stuff and I still didn't get as far with that as I have with Hamelin. I still don't plan on chucking BB from my workout line up, but I will be mixing in a lot more of Hamelin.
How are you mixing them?
Old 07-12-15, 07:32 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellybelly View Post
How are you mixing them?
Well I was actually just about to plan out my workouts for the week! I haven't decided how I'll do it this week (because I have more Hamelin stuff I've bought) but the last couple weeks I was aiming for about 60-70 minutes of Ballet Beautiful and then doing half of one of the matics one day then the second half the next. Sometimes I would add a bit of extra BB cardio but not much, maybe like 20 minutes...and I only did it on days I really had the energy for it so maybe 3 days a week tops.

ETA: I just bought his deep muscle work in the last week (I can't remember what day but I got the emailed class early this morning) so I will be mixing that in 5-6 days this week and want to include some of the matics in there (I just bought thighmatics II last night). How much room that will leave for BB remains to be seen once I hash this all out on paper. The matics worked really well as add ons for me and I loved splitting them in half.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 08:23 AM  
sophiesmom

Hmm...Christine, you have me curious now--LOL!

I've seen his stuff on YouTube, can anyone please recommend a particular video? One that gives a good feeling for his stuff?

Also, Thighmatics is it floor work?
Thanks in advance!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 10:35 AM  
Suzan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom View Post
Hmm...Christine, you have me curious now--LOL!

I've seen his stuff on YouTube, can anyone please recommend a particular video? One that gives a good feeling for his stuff?

Also, Thighmatics is it floor work?
Thanks in advance!

TM is all floor work... but it's mixed up with seated, on back, side, and all fours. Also there is NO music if that's something that would bother you. I like the meditative feel of the workout.

I started out by just doing his arm challenge and classic hips & thigh side series then tried toning sets & cardio tones. My faves are his longer cardio tones and real classes.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet beautiful, hdm, thighmatics