Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-15, 05:01 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Girl View Post
Hi Debbie..I'm not violetblonde but wanted to thank you for your input! I'm still doing TA streaming and can't give it up but will alternate with Hamelin
You're welcome! Let me know how you like alternating the two.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 06:41 PM  
kalliope999

I've been lurking in this thread because I've been interested in HDM for a while but can never figure out what to buy. Thanks to all of you enthusiastic fans for keeping this going!

At first I was tempted to use him for mostly cardio because I'd love some alternatives to Turbo Jam and like his music, but I'm also intrigued by his toning. Right now I'm considering either Bodymatics or Thighmatics because they might be nice to mix in with Essentrics, which I've been loving lately. I really wish he had short sample clips to give you an idea of the sort of workout each one is, especially because many of them are expensive sets to splurge on!

Does anyone have the Secret Workouts? It seems like they are a nice mix of cardio segments with his toning segments, for a decent price.

And I know a few of you have said the Rampart/Deep Muscle Work series is different from the regular toning because of the slower pace (do I have that right?) But are the moves themselves very different? Did someone say they are more flowy or have larger, dance-like movements? On the TA-Barre-Callanetics-CS/Essentrics spectrum, where do they fall as compared to his regular toning? Sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around all of his many offerings!
Old 07-13-15, 09:19 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

oh rats, after all these raves I'm interested in Thighmatics. Can his workouts be integrated along with kettlebells or heavy weights, or is it best to follow him in a specific rotation?
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 09:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzan66 View Post
Toaster:
There is the 55 min Course 1, Class 4. It's hardest barre work I have ever done and I only did the first 40m which was standing barre and arm work. I thought the wall sits would kill me. I hope to have time to do all of it next time.
I'd like to try this one, but on preview, I think I'd need a real bar--I don't think my folding chair (which is what I normally use for barre work) would cut it.

Any favorites among the short (15 minutes or less) YouTube add ons? The only one I've tried is Armatics Taster, which I love.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 04:11 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
oh rats, after all these raves I'm interested in Thighmatics. Can his workouts be integrated along with kettlebells or heavy weights, or is it best to follow him in a specific rotation?
~Beth
I am not one of the experts, but I think his workouts could easily be incorporated with kettlebells and/or heavy weights. Build the muscle with the latter and then tone it all up with HDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I'd like to try this one, but on preview, I think I'd need a real bar--I don't think my folding chair (which is what I normally use for barre work) would cut it.

Any favorites among the short (15 minutes or less) YouTube add ons? The only one I've tried is Armatics Taster, which I love.
I can't comment on the add-ons, but wanted to tell you that I have been doing my barre work for years with a rolling audio equipment rack. It's not ideal by any means, but with a little creativity I've not found a workout I cannot do yet. That includes any of Hamelin's.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 06:48 AM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
~Beth
I think Debbie S. mixes HDM with her heavy weight training circuits and it's working for her. For me, I don't mix them because weights make me bulky, and HDM leans me out. I'm going for the latter, so I find combining them counter productive for ME, but YMMV.

I do custom rotations with Hamelin and he always schedules a free day for me to do whatever I want every week to keep my ADD at bay, and based on what I like to do, he says kickboxing or athletic workouts (like Cathe's) are a great combination. I also mix in ART here and there on my days off, or things like Michelle Dozois' Peak 10 workouts. This combo works for me.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 08:12 AM  
Suzan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Before I bought Thighmatics I did his 8m Classic Hip & Thighs (side series) and 4m Resistance Band (standing) as add ons a lot. I also do the 6m arm challenge almost every day and LOVE his toning arms from the longer total body sets (arms are first and about 10m other than sets 1 and 7).
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 08:21 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzan66 View Post
Before I bought Thighmatics I did his 8m Classic Hip & Thighs (side series) and 4m Resistance Band (standing) as add ons a lot. I also do the 6m arm challenge almost every day and LOVE his toning arms from the longer total body sets (arms are first and about 10m other than sets 1 and 7).
Thanks for the feedback!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 09:32 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
I think Debbie S. mixes HDM with her heavy weight training circuits and it's working for her. For me, I don't mix them because weights make me bulky, and HDM leans me out. I'm going for the latter, so I find combining them counter productive for ME, but YMMV.
Thanks, that helps. I get more of a leaning out and some muscle build from heavy weights instead of the bulking problem others have. I'm very interested in his Thighmatics detox.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 11:32 AM  
LaCatrina

Gee, these threads are BOOMING!!! I have the feeling we're getting ready for an "everything" thread as vintagevfer suggested What do you think, Debbie?

Tags
hamelin d'abell, thighmatics